Riley: WRs job still open; Ron Brown not joining staff

I stand by my comment. I can find nothing substantive on HuskerOnline other than the same rumor floating on their forums. I can't seem to find anything resembling reporting on the subject from from Callahan or anyone else. Until I can see something beyond message board chatter, it's a fantasy as far as I'm concerned.

It is possible that it is located in parts that you don't have access to.

Is there some super secret section that my rivals access cannot see?

Yes, at least there was. Called NCLU or something.

Isn't Davis considered one of the most promising hires on the staff?

There is "promise" and there are results. Look at the collegiate offenses and skill players Ron Brown had a hand in coaching over the years...

...now do the same for Davis.

Now, which one looks more successful, judging by the results in most every way that they can be measured?

Really guys, how many gallons of Kool-Aid does one have to chug to ignore what we have seen in Brown's 24 years as a coach so you can buy into the notion that someone being labeled as "promising" is an upgrade?

You guys can have the last word on this one.

• Fire 1

All them NFL receivers Ron coached over that 20 years............

There is "promise" and there are results. Look at the collegiate offenses and skill players Ron Brown had a hand in coaching over the years...

Now, which one looks more successful, judging by the results in most every way that they can be measured?

Really guys, how many gallons of Kool-Aid does one have to chug to ignore what we have seen in Brown's 24 years as a coach so you can buy into the notion that someone being labeled as "promising" is an upgrade?

all them NFL receivers Ron coached over that 20 years......

You have to cut the guy some slack there. We were running the option offense where our WR were lucky to catch 1-2 balls per game. They were spending most of their time blocking.

• Fire 1

You have to cut the guy some slack there. We were running the option offense where our WR were lucky to catch 1-2 balls per game. They were spending most of their time blocking.

so is he fit to coach receivers in an offense to the philosophy predicated on a hell of a lot more passing than what we did in the 80s and 90s? You proved my point. Thank you.

so is he fit to coach receivers in an offense to the philosophy predicated on a hell of a lot more passing than what we did in the 80s and 90s? You proved my point. Thank you.

Umm, he went from the option to the spread, and coached the sh#t out fo the TE's and the RB's. So he has taught three different offensive positions in two different offense philosophies.... AND SUCCEEDED!

you're proving a lot of points... :sarcasm

There is "promise" and there are results.

Yes, there are no results for this staff at Nebraska yet. How awful of them?

We know Brown is a pretty good coach, but this doesn't make him the only pretty good position coach out there in the world. We also know Brown does not really recruit. And that he's been on the verge of retirement.

So, I don't think it's much a stretch to think this young guy who has spent three successful years at OSU, and four as an assistant coach for the 49ers under Harbaugh, is a good position coach and an able/willing recruiter.

If Ron Brown had been hired from another school by Mike Riley, I'm sure the complaint would be: 24 years and all he ever did was be a positions coach?

• Fire 1

Umm, he went from the option to the spread, and coached the sh#t out fo the TE's and the RB's. So he has taught three different offensive positions in two different offense philosophies.... AND SUCCEEDED!

you're proving a lot of points... :sarcasm

4 years coaching running backs. 3 coaching tight ends. Upwards of 16-17 or socoaching receivers. Now im just sayin, in all those years, hes developed and put in the Nfl 1 running back(soon to be two) and no tight ends, and no receivers from the early days (unless Johnny Mitchell worked with tge receivers. Im not sure)

There is "promise" and there are results.

Yes, there are no results for this staff at Nebraska yet. How awful of them?

We know Brown is a pretty good coach, but this doesn't make him the only pretty good position coach out there in the world. We also know Brown does not really recruit. And that he's been on the verge of retirement.

So, I don't think it's much a stretch to think this young guy who has spent three successful years at OSU, and four as an assistant coach for the 49ers under Harbaugh, is a good position coach and an able/willing recruiter.

If Ron Brown had been hired from another school by Mike Riley, I'm sure the complaint would be: 24 years and all he ever did was be a positions coach?

Bingo. +1 there. It's not like Brown isn't still going to have some exposure to the program through his FCA work.

I don't have any doubts that Brown could have been a solid assistant coach for Riley. That said, I am amazed at all the crying and moaning that has gone on throughout Husker Nation when word spread that Brown wasn't being retained.

I don't think the disappointment is so much over what kind of or successful "coach" that Brown is/was/would have been.................so much as his linkage throughout several decades of Husker continuity AND the kind of man he exemplifies as a role model for so many.

• Fire 2