8 team playoff in the future?

Redux

Exactly, Redux. I'll fully admit to being wrong about the 4 team playoff versus the old system(s). However, a good number of the games that were considered "so exciting to be played" would take on much less importance than they do now. That is one of the main reasons I couldn't care less about who wins a particular NFL game until perhaps the last couple of weeks.

Also, I highly doubt we don't get a deserving national champion with 4 teams. Yes, TCU probably got the shaft at the hands of FSU this year, but at the same time, it doesn't mean TCU got screwed out of a national title. I'll never advocate a ranking system as a way to determine best teams, however I'm not concerned with the voted #6 team not getting a playoff spot.

Did you hear Steven A. Smith this morning bragging about how he backed Ohio St. leapfrogging TCU? That type of thinking is part and parcel to the problem of the old system. The fact is we'll never know if Ohio St. could beat TCU. The new format is far better than yesteryear's, but it's still not optimal; and, quite frankly, never will be regardless of the number of teams invited. I'm not a TCU fan, but it sickens me to think we have a system which allowed for a team to be moved up 2 spots to 3rd then win by 50 and get dropped back to 5th because OSU walloped Wisconsin. That's just wrong. I understand what the ramifications are, but based off of what took place Ohio St. should have been odd man out or, better yet, if you leapfrog Florida St. then you should have stayed atop them. The committee didn't think through the 'What ifs" prior to that last week. I also believe there was a racial component considered.

It bothers me when people complain about TCU dropping to #5 the final week even after beating a team by 50 points. TCU was #4 the week before the championship games because they had (what the committee considered to be) the 4th best resume at that point. They had already played their best opponents and thus benefited from those quality wins and losses. When Ohio State drubbed a top 15/20 team 59-0 and TCU beat ISU handily, both teams updated their resumes, but clearly OSU's win counted for a lot more than TCU's. It just happened, mostly as a result of the Big 12's lack of conference championship, that OSU played one of their best opponents the last week and TCU played one of their worst. Maybe TCU was the 4th best team before that last week, but it makes perfect sense after re-evaluating each team's complete resume, to make OSU #4 in the final rankings, even ignoring their success in the playoffs.

Also, there was a racial component considered?? You cannot be serious.

• Fire 3

So for a 8 team playoff you would potentially have a 12 game season, then a CC and then 3 rounds of playoff.

Does that seem like a little much?

I think at some point you have to consider the number of games played. Even if you don't buy into the fact that these are student athletes, you have to take into account the direction the sport is taking re: injuiries i.e. concussions. We haven't heard much about it recently, but the NFL knows this topic isn't over by a long shot.

I would be the max I would ever want to see it go to, but it would be hard to keep the bowls, and that is what makes college football different.

4 does not guarantee anyone anything. I like that. Most likely will end up with four conference champions, but one will be looking in and Independents are no more special than any other team. Actually may force them all into conferences.

Anyone not liking the playoff this year, has something wrong. The underdog won out. great three games.

Exactly, Redux. I'll fully admit to being wrong about the 4 team playoff versus the old system(s). However, a good number of the games that were considered "so exciting to be played" would take on much less importance than they do now. That is one of the main reasons I couldn't care less about who wins a particular NFL game until perhaps the last couple of weeks.

Also, I highly doubt we don't get a deserving national champion with 4 teams. Yes, TCU probably got the shaft at the hands of FSU this year, but at the same time, it doesn't mean TCU got screwed out of a national title. I'll never advocate a ranking system as a way to determine best teams, however I'm not concerned with the voted #6 team not getting a playoff spot.

Folks--the problem with TCU is that they're in the Big XII. No title game, and the conference went against its own bylaws and promoted both TCU and Baylor as co-champs.

If folks are saying we need to go to eight solely to to accommodate TCU and the ass clowns running the Big XII (that couldn't promote TCU on their own like they were supposed to...or find two more members to have a title game again...) then there's little merit to your arguement.

Now, once the Big XII fixes their s****y excuse for a conference and THEN we start having quality teams left out...then by all means, let's discuss expansion...but not before.

• Fire 1

No, FSU got in, and it was proven soundly they did not belong in. And that was stated the whole year. The committee gave the undefeated team the pass and dropped the team the week before ranked 3rd, behind them, after a 59-0 win. Yea that is looking at every game. If that had truly happened, FSU would have started having problems when ND fell apart.Many undefeated teams have been left out of the NC.They stated the best four would play. FSU, undefeated, CC, but clearly not the 3rd best team in the country.SOS would have proven that is my guess. The eye test said it every week.I do not care what you did last year. Has no bearing on this year. Play the games, rate the games week to week.I know Sker will go nuts on this, but why do you feel Nebraska was never ranked as highly as some here thought. McNeese State was the reason. It hurt us I think. Some how barely squeaking by, last second wins, and lot of luck did not hurt FSR because of last year. That is hog wash.But you follow, that is what you do, so understand.

The old system would have placed Bama VS FSU in title game. After 1 round of playoffs we see that would have been wrong.

Ohio State moved up to 4 and ended up winning the whole damn thing so they clearly belonged. Who do you take out? FSU? HELL no you cant. They were repeating champs with the same Heisman QB, they won all their games AND beat a clearly good GaTech in the title game. Every game matters. Win your games and the rest takes care of itself. Thats what gets preached here every week!

Did everyone here know FSU was the weakest of the 4? Pretty much. But you cant punish a team for doing what they were supposed to do, win.

I would have definitely put TCU in as well....after the fact. Its easy to say they deserved it over FSU now. They need to take it up with their conference, not the system.

Has nothing to do with following. Let me ask you this. Replace FSU with Nebraska. Almost lost a bunch of games but didnt, went unbeaten and won conference title game in convincing fashion. Then, they get left out for a team that lost a game and played one less game. Is that fair?

Gripe about FSU all ya want but you are opening pandoras box. If we take conference titles and records out of the equation you end up with 3 SEC teams in the 4 team playoff based off of the "eye test". You really want that?

Folks--the problem with TCU is that they're in the Big XII. No title game, and the conference went against its own bylaws and promoted both TCU and Baylor as co-champs.

If folks are saying we need to go to eight solely to to accommodate TCU and the ass clowns running the Big XII (that couldn't promote TCU on their own like they were supposed to...or find two more members to have a title game again...) then there's little merit to your arguement.

Now, once the Big XII fixes their s****y excuse for a conference and THEN we start having quality teams left out...then by all means, let's discuss expansion...but not before.

THIS

Don't need 8. Just 6.

Each P5 conference champ and one wildcard chosen by the comittee.

Comittee has two jobs - choose the wildcard team (preference given to highest ranked non P5 coference champ if one is undefeated and played at least one P5 team ooc

- seed the 6 teams.

Top 2 seeds get a bye.

I think we will see this before we see 8 teams. But I dont think champs will be automatic even though it would almost always play out that way. Auto bids for champs is how it SHOULD work but it wont.

Don't need 8. Just 6.

Comittee has two jobs - choose the wildcard team (preference given to highest ranked non P5 coference champ if one is undefeated and played at least one P5 team ooc

- seed the 6 teams.

Top 2 seeds get a bye.

I think we will see this before we see 8 teams. But I dont think champs will be automatic even though it would almost always play out that way. Auto bids for champs is how it SHOULD work but it wont.

So could you do a deal where the conferences that do not have a Championship game play each other, and that is the first round for them. The first round for the big conferences is their respective Championship games, then keep 4 team playoffs.

I haven't though it through, so it may not work at all.

THIS

Thank you. Any talk of expanding the playoffs is putting the proverbial cart before the horse when you have asshats in the Big XII that can't follow their own rules and are too myopic to find two more expansion partners to get a conference title game going (the extra $15-20 million/year for the title game rights would pay for any expansion).

That's why any case for TCU in the playoffs is laughable. They really didn't even win their own conference, and their own conference left them high and dry.

Frankly, if TCU's own conference wouldn't go to bat for them like they were supposed to, then why the f*** are people doing it here? (other than it being the off-season already and we need discussion topics). :)

• Fire 1

Don't need 8. Just 6.

- seed the 6 teams.

Top 2 seeds get a bye.

So could you do a deal where the conferences that do not have a Championship game play each other, and that is the first round for them. The first round for the big conferences is their respective Championship games, then keep 4 team playoffs.

I haven't though it through, so it may not work at all.

Honestly the best way an 8 team would work is making the power 5 champs all 1-5 seeds. Then a mid major or two and an at large or two.

I like the idea of conference tile week being the first week of playoffs IF we decided that the 8 teams that got in are all conference champions and we dwindled the landscape down to 8 leagues and no independents. This would put HUGE implications on winning your division and conference.