Nebraska DE Randy Gregory needs 'substantial improvement'

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000455212/article/nebraska-de-randy-gregory-needs-substantial-improvement

Nebraska DE Randy Gregory needs 'substantial improvement'

Zierlein elaborated on his tweet Wednesday afternoon.

"He doesn't play with the upfield burst you expect, his hands are fairly basic and too often he plays too square, giving tackles a much easier target to block," Zierlein said. "With work and coaching, he could become a really good rusher, but substantial improvement is never a lock or we would never have draft busts."

"I have a couple of NFL scouts who are arguing with me about Gregory right now, but they also admit that they are betting on the raw talent and traits, with coaching filling in the holes."

I don't know that there's anyone on staff who could refine those skills better than the previous staff. The DL really came on this last year.

But I've never seen Banker or Hughes coach. But it still would have been great to see him back because any time you have a talent that special on your team, no matter how raw, it opens up so many possibilities.

I know he played at a high level, but I couldn't help but feel like he didn't look like he was trying very hard this year. May have been injuries, may have been mental because he was often doubled and cut, but something never looked right with him this year.

Reminded me of Robbie Cano. never seemed to run hard but was almost always able to get to the ball.

I know he played at a high level, but I couldn't help but feel like he didn't look like he was trying very hard this year. May have been injuries, may have been mental because he was often doubled and cut, but something never looked right with him this year.

I think after he got injured he became a little gunshy. Human nature. An awful lot to lose that in his mind very much outweighed any team goals. And once the losses piled up, he may have mailed in a couple performances.

Maybe he was injured and he loafed through the seaskn but he's no clowney. If that's what was really going on, it gives a good insight into the mind of a elite college football athlete. Thinking about their "brand." Ugh.

You are right. As big a husker fan as I am and will always be, Clowney is much better and will be alot better if he gets healthy. I am hoping RG4 can go some where and wreck havoc though.

I don't know that there's anyone on staff who could refine those skills better than the previous staff. The DL really came on this last year.

But I've never seen Banker or Hughes coach. But it still would have been great to see him back because any time you have a talent that special on your team, no matter how raw, it opens up so many possibilities.

what????

The thing that stuck out most about him never looking right this year was the Wisconsin game where Gordon ran right by and became the energizer bunny just going and going and going.

• Fire 1