Cougars getting 1 million bucks

Nebraska and the Big Ten Conference have all the television broadcast rights to the game

I wonder if NU gets any compensation from the B1G for the BTN's right to broadcast the game? It would be worthwhile, from a publicity standpoint, if NU just signed over the rights to BTN for free. But I'm still curious as to whether any money changes hands. Hard to say what it's worth. I'd guess somewhere in the neighborhood of $100k or so (WAG on my part).

Nebraska and the Big Ten Conference have all the television broadcast rights to the game

I wonder if NU gets any compensation from the B1G for the BTN's right to broadcast the game? It would be worthwhile, from a publicity standpoint, if NU just signed over the rights to BTN for free. But I'm still curious as to whether any money changes hands. Hard to say what it's worth. I'd guess somewhere in the neighborhood of $100k or so (WAG on my part).

The conference collects the broadcast revenue from all the teams and then devides it equally among the schools. (less the buyin for NU, RU and MD.)

Last year NU got just over $14.3M in broadcast revenue.

The conference collects the broadcast revenue from all the teams and then devides it equally among the schools. (less the buyin for NU, RU and MD.)

I wonder why our cost to include the TV rights in our BYU contract isn't defrayed as well. For example, I'll bet we could've gotten a better deal with BYU if we gave them the TV rights. Let's say we could've gotten the BYU home game for $900k, sans TV rights--that is, giving BYU the TV rights. (So for this hypothetical the TV rights are cost us $100k to obtain. $1million with TV vs $900k without TV.) Then why isn't the $100k contractual value of our TV rights added back to our B1G broadcast revenue as a cost of doing business? Including the TV rights in the contract is a cost to us just the same as travel expenses for a bowl game. (I believe our bowl game travel expenses are paid out of the broadcast revenue for that bowl before the revenue is divided among B1G members). Just sayin..

I wonder why our cost to include the TV rights in our BYU contract isn't defrayed as well. For example, I'll bet we could've gotten a better deal with BYU if we gave them the TV rights. Let's say we could've gotten the BYU home game for $900k, sans TV rights--that is, giving BYU the TV rights. (So for this hypothetical the TV rights are cost us $100k to obtain. $1million with TV vs $900k without TV.) Then why isn't the $100k contractual value of our TV rights added back to our B1G broadcast revenue as a cost of doing business? Including the TV rights in the contract is a cost to us just the same as travel expenses for a bowl game. (I believe our bowl game travel expenses are paid out of the broadcast revenue for that bowl before the revenue is divided among B1G members). Just sayin..

That's not how this works. There's no negotiation or dollar value on rights in individual game contracts between the two teams. The hosting team always gets broadcast rights. That is the whole reason conerences like the Big Ten get so much revenue from the television network contracts. They are included in the contracts only as a legal formality.

Which is why our game at wyoming a few years ago was on versus and the Fresno game last year was on cbssports.

• Fire 1

That's not how this works. There's no negotiation or dollar value on rights in individual game contracts between the two teams. The hosting team always gets broadcast rights. That is the whole reason conerences like the Big Ten get so much revenue from the television network contracts. They are included in the contracts only as a legal formality.

Which is why our game at wyoming a few years ago was on versus and the Fresno game last year was on cbssports.

Ahhh. Thanks or clarifying.