Do the Huskers Beat Miami in 1994 with Turman?

There was talk of excluding OSU from the playoffs because they were down to their third string QB, and yet they won it all. This made me recall the 1994 season. Brook comes in, get hurt, plays with a collapsed lung, then Turman comes in. If the Huskers were forced to use Turman, would we have beaten Miami? I think we may have. With the QB carousal, none of the QBs were in a rhythm. Both Brook and Tommy threw boneheaded interceptions against Miami, and it was the superior strength and conditioning that won the game IMHO. Remember that Miami didn't get a first down in the 4th quarter, and the Miami defenders, especially the DL was sucking wind. I think Turman may have been able to pull it off.

We had Tom Osborne, that great offensive line, and Schlesinger on our side. Our Blackshirts were going beast mode and their defense was hands on hips sucking wind.

Hell yes we beat em' with you, me or Turman at QB. Okay, maybe not quite with me or you in there, but "The Turmanator" was enough to get the job done.

I'll always have that image of Sapp trying to catch his breath, wondering what the hell just happened as we steamrolled through the middle of their defense.

Probably wouldntve won it with Berringer the way the game was turning. As Stumpy said, there was a pretty sharp drop off from Berringer to Turman. We all like to look back on them days as if Turman was some great deal. But let's be frank. What did he do in the 4+ quarters of football he played in that stretch? He completed a long pass and handed of to Phillips umpteen thousand times. It worked to break open a game against a bad Oklahoma St team, and "not lose" a game in the first half agaisnt kansas St. It's ok to say we wouldntve beat Miami with Matt Turman at qb. It's ok to say it probably wouldntve happened even with Berringer. it came to a point in that game in which we needed Frazier that could gash with his legs. We went conventional and wore Miami down, and brought the fresh Frazier in for the kill shot. I dont think Turman woulda been capable of either. I know we like to think with Osborne and that defense (rubs self) it woulda happened, but it's ok to say probably not.

• Fire 1

Joe Ganz in relief of Sam Keller in 2007 is the most recent example of a backup performing well enough to win here at Nebraska. Ohio State was in a unique position that their third-string QB was capable, and good for them. I would say 95% of all Ohio State teams wouldn't have been able to get that kind of performance out of their third-stringer, and the rate is probably the same throughout college football. Third-stringers are third string for a reason.

The term we're looking for with Cardale Jones is "lightning in a bottle." It happens once in a great while. It likely won't happen again for a long, long time.

• Fire 1

Knapp is spot on.

I'll put Cardale beyond capable. How unique is it that the 2nd guy (Barrett) comes in, and in quick development seems to be the better qb. Then he goes down, and the 3rd guy comes in, and in almost instant development, HE seems to be the better qb. It just seemed like they kept getting better as each qb went down. Pretty sure you cant say that about 1994 Nebraska.

Joe Ganz in relief of Sam Keller in 2007 is the most recent example of a backup performing well enough to win here at Nebraska. Ohio State was in a unique position that their third-string QB was capable, and good for them. I would say 95% of all Ohio State teams wouldn't have been able to get that kind of performance out of their third-stringer, and the rate is probably the same throughout college football. Third-stringers are third string for a reason.

The term we're looking for with Cardale Jones is "lightning in a bottle." It happens once in a great while. It likely won't happen again for a long, long time.

That puts it into perspective. I'm still amazed and impressed at how well Cardale came in and played during such a tough stretch.