Husker Satellite Camps

Oh...I'm loving this.

John Bishop@JohnBishop71 39m

John Bishop retweeted Brett McMurphy

Nice to see the B1G ruffling feathers because they want to get better, not drag everyone down. #YearofReadiness

John Bishop added,

Brett McMurphy @McMurphyESPN
Dabo Swinney against satellite camps. “It’s a loophole people are taking advantage. Instead of camps, you’re having combines"

Mike Schaefer@mikejschaefer 24m

Enjoying the outright whining of southeastern coaches about satellite camps - but they're perfectly good w/ official visits and over signing

Suck it SEC!!!

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/alabama-coach-nick-saban-says-satellite-camps-are--ridiculous-140353422.html

Nick Saban doesn't think much of them either. I'm shocked. What's hilarious is he wants the NCAA to shut it down.

Actually Nick, let's look into your recruiting practices and talk about over signing. This is why people hate the $EC.

Yesterday Pat Forde wrote about the SEC not liking the satellite camps in their backyard.

A prior Southern invasion of Pennsylvania (Gettysburg, to be precise) didn’t end well. But Sankey said his league’s preferred solution to this situation would not be SEC satellite camps in the north; it would be national legislation restricting camps to a school's own campus.

Let me ask this.

Take yourself completely away from being a Husker and a Big Ten fan trying to compete with the SEC and put yourself in the position of an NCAA administrator that is "supposed to" be all about fair competition and treating everyone with respect and have good competition.

What would be the reasoning behind such legislation? Is it "unfair" to have satellite camps? Is it somehow unethical?

I think Sankey is full of crap.

Preaching to the choir, but college football has changed so much over the last 20 years and the NCAA is very behind on fitting with the changes. The recruiting rules are very flawed and skewed toward schools in close proximity to large pools D1 talent. This is the least they could allow. These schools could easily hold a camp in Chicago or Dallas but they don't need to. Its laughable that they want to have their cake and eat it too.

• Fire 1

Personally, I think this is a brilliant move, not just based on our own Husker recruiting and hoping we get some good players out of these camps, but, this potentially is going to get the SEC to the table to talk about much broader recruiting rules reform.

Now, let's just hope the Big Ten asks and demands the correct changes. Hopefully the coaches are heavily involved in explaining what needs to be changed.

Exactly, Treand3.

Or, trade closing this "loophole" for a couple other changes. Such as earlier OVs.

Yep. Earlier OVs, paid transportation, lodging and meals for the prospect's parent/guardian(if they are a certain distance away)

There was an article this morning about how basically every head coach is in favor of being able to pay for at least one parent/guardian to attend while on an OV. It's stupid that hasn't been changed already.

Exactly, Treand3.

Or, trade closing this "loophole" for a couple other changes. Such as earlier OVs.

Yep. Earlier OVs, paid transportation, lodging and meals for the prospect's parent/guardian(if they are a certain distance away)

There was an article this morning about how basically every head coach is in favor of being able to pay for at least one parent/guardian to attend while on an OV. It's stupid that hasn't been changed already.

Me too. Even still, if a parent(s) in the south wants to drive to a campus for an official visit, they are reimbursed for gas by the school for OVs, if I'm not mistaken.

Should we hold one in Ohio?

Last week Ohio State coach Urban Meyer clucked his tongue and shook his head over these Dixie dives through a Big Ten loophole, which allows schools to work far-flung camps that the SEC and ACC forbid. Then he said his program may follow suit.

Maybe we can partner with Youngstown St. I hear we have a "in" there.

Kidding aside, we should be partnering with small schools in most or all of the following states: Florida, Illinois, Ohio, Maryland/Virginia, Texas, Arizona, and California.

Exactly, Treand3.

Bing-freakin-go

You don't want us having satellite camps, then give us earlier OV. Either 2nd semester junior year (so they can come to spring game) or after school finishes junior year.

The SEC is going to find somewhat of a deaf ear from the NCAA on this one. Remember how the P5 wanted autonomy to make their own rules and pay their own players, etc....? The SEC is going to have to either allow their coaches to do the same thing or they are going to have to convince the other conferences to make it "illegal". Something tells me the other conferences don't want to hear it.