losing recruits to Michigan?

Let's use this Neal re-affirmment (cuz that's what it was. he never really decommitted) to analyze how good of a job this staff has done with this recruiting class in the wake of a toxic and somewhat controversial departure of the previous staff. The only two recruits they lost now are two guys that were gonna be gone anyway. And now the Neal fella, who expressed numerous time his displeasure in the removal of the old staff (which is fine. No problem with that. You build relationships with staff.). And Riley and co.-with some idiotic assistance from Mattison apparently-are able to seal the deal with him in the face of Oklahoma, Michigan, and Oregon.

Let's let that sink in for a moment. Omaha or not. This Daishon Neal signing, even if something happens and he never plays a down, is a big deal.

I agree with you, Count. I believe Neal being from Omaha is what makes securing his commitment even MORE important. As Benning said this morning, it highly influences the perception of this staff's ability to secure in-state recruits. I think if Neal had decommitted for Michigan, it would have reinforced Harbaugh's belief that Michigan can come into NE and take whoever he wants, whenever he wants. Though, I don't think it will keep them from trying at all.

So, yes, this was a big deal for Nebraska on the recruiting front.

I think it is an important retention, but I don't know how much weight I'd put into it. By reaching, I just meant I think Count exaggerating the staff's effect on the existing commit(s) a little. I think they did a great job on the Davis twins, that was the biggest retention. Neal is a little different. Hell, even his dad says they were leaning UM. They didn't even send Harbaugh. Riley was losing an Omaha kid that committed to Nebraska in like 28 minutes before Mattison went full retard. They did haul in Barrett, that was nice. We also had a good amount of kids that were early enrolling. I know they are trying salvage a class, but at this point, they are also getting rejected by kids for NC State, Virginia, and Cal (walk-on!). I just think we just need to put it all in perspective, not get too carried away.

I'm excited about this staff and their transparency, but I think some are getting ahead of themselves.

• Fire 1

I think it is an important retention, but I don't know how much weight I'd put into it. By reaching, I just meant I think Count exaggerating the staff's effect on the existing commit(s) a little. I think they did a great job on the Davis twins, that was the biggest retention. Neal is a little different. Hell, even his dad says they were leaning UM. They didn't even send Harbaugh. Riley was losing an Omaha kid that committed to Nebraska in like 28 minutes before Mattison went full retard. They did haul in Barrett, that was nice. We also had a good amount of kids that were early enrolling. I know they are trying salvage a class, but at this point, they are also getting rejected by kids for NC State and Virginia. I just think we just need to put it all in perspective, not get too carried away.

I'm excited about this staff and their transparency, but I think some are getting ahead of themselves.

and my response.....

I guess big picture wise for the future I see it as pretty significant. Whether Riley and his staff had much to do with it or not. We won out on a guy over Harbaugh/Michigan, Oklahoma, and Oregon at a time when he was fully prepared and willing to go elsewhere. Whether it's on Riley or not, it's going to be viewed as a big win for Nebraska AND Riley. And moving forward on the trail, it's pretty significant.

Harbaugh has to talk to any recruit that shows interest and they evaluate on film that fits what they want to do. He only has a month to recruit, so poaching is going to be a part of it. My guess is going forward Harbaugh will want to have his class wrapped up early so I don't see the poaching trend continuing, except maybe for OSU. :o)

Yeah, that's Harbaugh's strategy to fill out his class alright. Poaching. Harbaugh is a master at it. Here's an article about Harbaugh poaching. From a Meechichen newspaper. LINK

Interesting that among the seven potential poach targets mentioned in the article they don't list the guy he just poached from us.

I mean, we just got done discussing in this thread I think how much more of a draw Michigan was and how much more difficult it was going to be to overcome that with Harbaugh at the helm, and all the national pub he's getting. You would think it would be easy peezy to get Neal to flip. Regardless of the Mattison comments, the significance is from the outside looking in in general. Michigan and Jim Harbaugh couldnt steal a recruit from little old Nebraska.

And you know what, this could very well result in Snyder staying as well, which Neal said he himself was gonna get to work on. That would make two.

Big-picture, I do think it is significant. I think it helps our reputation for future fights against the UM, tOSU, Bamas of the recruiting world.

Let's use this Neal re-affirmment (cuz that's what it was. he never really decommitted) to analyze how good of a job this staff has done with this recruiting class

And how impressive is it that the new staff can come in and reaffirm in the face of Oklahoma, Michigan, and Oregon. Thoughts?

I was just addressing your multiple comments about the staff's effect on Neal's decision.

Big-picture, I do think it is significant. I think it helps our reputation for future fights against the UM, tOSU, Bamas of the recruiting world.

Let's use this Neal re-affirmment (cuz that's what it was. he never really decommitted) to analyze how good of a job this staff has done with this recruiting class

And how impressive is it that the new staff can come in and reaffirm in the face of Oklahoma, Michigan, and Oregon. Thoughts?

I was just addressing your multiple comments about the staff's effect on Neal's decision.

But they did have to play some role, yes? Obviously they didnt just sit around and cross their fingers. And we all know how toxic and controversial the departure of the previous staff was. Neal even alluded to it himself twice. "fans getting bo fired". So obviously there was some sort of mending that had to go on there.

yeah, maybe I exaggerated a little on the effect of Riley himself, but in general, I think it's pretty significant.

Let's use this Neal re-affirmment (cuz that's what it was. he never really decommitted) to analyze how good of a job this staff has done with this recruiting class in the wake of a toxic and somewhat controversial departure of the previous staff. The only two recruits they lost now are two guys that were gonna be gone anyway. And now the Neal fella, who expressed numerous time his displeasure in the removal of the old staff (which is fine. No problem with that. You build relationships with staff.). And Riley and co.-with some idiotic assistance from Mattison apparently-are able to seal the deal with him in the face of Oklahoma, Michigan, and Oregon.

Let's let that sink in for a moment. Omaha or not. This Daishon Neal signing, even if something happens and he never plays a down, is a big deal.

I think Riley has already found that recruiting at Nebraska is a heck of a lot easier, while Harbaugh will find that selling Michigan right now is not a walk in the park. In the Pac 12 JH definitely had the advantage in terms of Stanford as a football program, but also the college environment and location (compared to Corvalis). Ann Arbor certainly isn't Stanford, and Corvallis is not Lincoln. I look for Riley's approach to football, leadership, and recruiting to give him an advantage over Harbaugh in the years to come.