Mavric

500 Mile Radius

Mavric    9,164

Sounds like the new coaching staff will have a different way of recruiting the fabled "500 mile radius." Each coach will have a designated area within that radius.

Assigned areas will be:

• Nebraska and the Dakotas
  • Kansas including Kansas JUCOs and Kansas City - Read
  • Oklahoma and Northern Arkansas
  • Colorado - Bray - Also has Arizona and Dallas
  • Wisconsin/Minnesota
  • Iowa
  • Illinois
  • Missouri - Langsdorf
  • Indiana
  • Brian Stewart - Also has Georgia, Florida, Maryland & Virginia
  • Keith Williams - Louisiana and Los Angeles
  • Reggie Davis - Houston

The Kansas guy will pick up Kansas City so the Missouri guy can devote more time to St. Louis.

They haven't assigned coaches to the regions yet.

Edited by Mavric
Added Indiana per OWH

corncraze    317

Well, Charlton Warren is almost certainly our Colorado guy. Anyone have any idea where the rest of these coaches will be assigned to?

Also, didn't Bo originally have something like this set up? Could have sworn he at least split up different Nebraska, Kansas, South Dakota, Iowa and Missouri areas between the coaches...

Mavric    9,164

Yeah, Warren would make a lot of sense for Colorado.

I don't know if the previous staff had anything like this. Definitely not as detailed. Warren obviously did Colorado for the last year and Garrison did a lot in Kansas in Missouri but I thin that was more just their primary recruiting areas. Sounds like these 500 mile states with be a "primary" recruiting area for each member of the new staff and then they'll have a "secondary" area outside the radius.

Mavric    9,164

That Northern Arkansas arm caught my attention. Is there much talent there?

I thought that was interesting as well. It would include Fayetteville and a few other cities but not Little Rock. Doesn't seem to be a place we've gotten much out of before but you never know.

GSG    5,521

Idk about talent, but that area covers 7 of the top 10 most populated cities in Arkansas

Stumpy1    1,511

Didn't NUance make a graph with the 500 mile radius on it along with all the top250 players on it and where they went? I know I just seen it and can't seem to find it.

Hedley Lamarr    2,055

World-Herald Big Red@OWHbigred now

The 500-mile recruiting radius will be the #Huskers' focus. @Coach_Riley's plan of attack: http://bit.ly/1yHY8hV

B75mP5XCYAAsxkz.jpg

Did you know that the corridor Minnesota-Iowa-Missouri-Arkansas-Louisiana looks like a guy with a chef hat

Did Noah Spence slip some X in yo drank?

ColoradoHusk    3,338

Idk about talent, but that area covers 7 of the top 10 most populated cities in Arkansas

NW Arkansas is all about Walmart employees and their kids. I think that the one high school coach who never punts and always kicks onside kicks is a coach in that area.

StPaulHusker    4,570

NW Arkansas is all about Walmart employees and their kids. I think that the one high school coach who never punts and always kicks onside kicks is a coach in that area.
Safe to say we won't be recruiting punters from that area then

ScottyIce    1,648

We should change our recruiting footprint to that alone IMO.

Meaning just the 500 mile radius?

Why would you end the NOLA pipeline? Or avoid Texas/Cal/ Florida? Also the new ins we could have in Hawaii and East Coast?

Moiraine    5,694

We should change our recruiting footprint to that alone IMO.

Meaning just the 500 mile radius?

Why would you end the NOLA pipeline? Or avoid Texas/Cal/ Florida? Also the new ins we could have in Hawaii and East Coast?

Dude. He's talking about MIMAL.

Moiraine    5,694

The 500-mile recruiting radius will be the #Huskers' focus. @Coach_Riley's plan of attack: http://bit.ly/1yHY8hV

B75mP5XCYAAsxkz.jpg

Did you know that the corridor Minnesota-Iowa-Missouri-Arkansas-Louisiana looks like a guy with a chef hat

B75mP5XCYAAsxkz.jpg

I see it now

What is wrong with you people? That's Mr. Mimal. Not a "guy with a chef hat." FFS

GSG    5,521

Brian Christopherson @HuskerExtraBC 5m5 minutes ago

The money quote on the 500-mile radius: "You look stupid when you play against kids you could have gotten." http://bit.ly/1CUgdsm #Huskers

Samuel McKewon @swmckewonOWH 4m4 minutes ago

I'll have more thoughts on 500 mile radius stuff in a column for tomorrow. It's about more than drawing a circle. Needs to be an attitude.

mnhusker    122

I love the 500 mile idea, I would have an area inside the zone call "State of Nebraska and within 45 miles of the border". I think this is important because if we lose an Omaha kid to Notre Dame or OSU or wherever I think that is a bigger failure than a kid in Minneapolis being missed. Basically what I am saying is that when we lose a Nebraska kid I hope the power point presentation on why we failed is a bit longer .........

ScottyIce    1,648

Is Cav visiting Farniok because Nebraska and the Dakotas is his region, or just because Farniok is an OL? Just wondering if anyone has a guess on the regions.

Mavric    9,164

Is Cav visiting Farniok because Nebraska and the Dakotas is his region, or just because Farniok is an OL? Just wondering if anyone has a guess on the regions.

Didn't sound like the regions have been assigned yet so I'm guessing position coach for now.

ScottyIce    1,648

Didn't sound like the regions have been assigned yet so I'm guessing position coach for now.

Over and out.

Mavric    9,164

I'm all for getting as much talent as we can out of this area but I don't think we've done poorly recently.

Scout has been tweeting their final rankings this afternoon. We have the #1 (Decker) and #2 (Neal) players in Nebraska, the #2 (Gaylord) player in Kansas, #4 and #7 in Missouri (Davis'), the #3 (Barnett) in Oklahoma and the #1 (Lee) and #3 (Anderson) player in Colorado. That's eight of our current 14 commits. The other six are from states that have a lot more talent to offer (in terms of numbers) - Georgia, Arizona, Louisiana, Texas, Florida and California. That mix sounds just about right to me.

We didn't have any from Iowa, Minnesota or Illinois this year. But we have Farmer, Finnin (via JUCO), Valentine, Wilbon and Westerkamp from Illinois. Not as much talent in Wisconsin and the Dakotas but we have Natter and especially Gerry.

Mavric    9,164

About 35 scholarship players this past year came from the area highlighted on that map plus 3-4 more from Ohio. Also, we signed two of the best athletes in the area recently but they played baseball instead.

That's over 40% of this past year's roster and would have been close to 50% with the add-ons I listed above. If we can do better than that going forward, that would be great. But I'm not sure the numbers are there.

Treand3    233

The kid wanted to come to Nebraska, but was messed around with. Think Riley and Cav would have offered and he'd be in Lincoln. Smh

Mavric    9,164

Also, it's not as if the door is closed at this point. The new coaches have reached out to a lot of recruits including several committed to other schools and one committed to Ohio State. They might have done differently under different circumstances but it doesn't appear they have with the chance they've gotten.

ScottyIce    1,648

Also, it's not as if the door is closed at this point. The new coaches have reached out to a lot of recruits including several committed to other schools and one committed to Ohio State. They might have done differently under different circumstances but it doesn't appear they have with the chance they've gotten.

I thought someone reported that he was an early enrollee? Obviously, he could change his mind, but that would be odd.

Warrior10    1,784

I thought someone reported that he was an early enrollee? Obviously, he could change his mind, but that would be odd.

The recruiting sites show him enrolled.

Treand3    233

Treand3 what are your sources on that? From all I've heard, he wasn't that interested in Nebraska.

Guess people "in the know". From what I heard it was the other way around.

ScottyIce    1,648

Treand3 what are your sources on that? From all I've heard, he wasn't that interested in Nebraska.

Huh, interesting. Regardless of that, the other thing I always heard is that his work ethic is not good.

Treand3    233

Huh, interesting. Regardless of that, the other thing I always heard is that his work ethic is not good.

That is another story all in itself. Either way its up to Riley and Co to do their due diligence with talent in a short driving distance.

Mavric    9,164

This is not an incitement of any sort, just an observation:

If there's all this talent in-state and in the 500 mile radius that we've been missing out on, and the new staff says it's their main priority to own the area, why are they spending 90% of their time on the coasts? Shouldn't there be a lot of "local" fallen that's been overlooked to pick up on? I mean, we're offering two-star kids from other places. Aren't there those kind of prospects closer to home?

StPaulHusker    4,570

This is not an incitement of any sort, just an observation:

If there's all this talent in-state and in the 500 mile radius that we've been missing out on, and the new staff says it's their main priority to own the area, why are they spending 90% of their time on the coasts? Shouldn't there be a lot of "local" fallen that's been overlooked to pick up on? I mean, we're offering two-star kids from other places. Aren't there those kind of prospects closer to home?

My guess is that the players on the coasts that they are after were players they were evaluating while at Oregon St and probably know what they might be getting. Most likely didn't pay a lot of attention to Nebraska kids while in Corvallis.

Next year will probably be a better indicator of them getting after the 500 mile kids.

I could be talking out of my ass too because I know jack schit about recruiting.

Mavric    9,164

To some extent, I think that is correct. Especially the California and Texas guys. But I don't think that's the case with the Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, etc. kids, especially the offers we've seen in the last week or so.

BigRedBuster    7,319

To some extent, I think that is correct. Especially the California and Texas guys. But I don't think that's the case with the Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, etc. kids, especially the offers we've seen in the last week or so.

They are scrambling right now to fill a class they had literally a month or so to figure out. I will guarantee you while in Corvallis they didn't pay any attention to Nebraska, Kansas, Iowa...etc. They had a ton of talent right in their back yard up and down the west coast. And, like every other program, they tried to poach out as many as they could from the states you listed.

That doesn't mean that now that Nebraska, Kansas and Iowa are their back yard, they won't pay more attention to that area in the future when they have time to get to know the local coaches and players.

it also doesn't mean that we as Husker fans don't want them recruiting those other states in the future.

Mavric    9,164

But my point is they didn't pay a lot of attention to Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, etc. either. Yet that's where they went to pick up guys late.

I'm not saying it's wrong. I just don't think there are enough guys in this area for us to focus as hard on it as some like to portray it.

StPaulHusker    4,570

But my point is they didn't pay a lot of attention to Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, etc. either. Yet that's where they went to pick up guys late.

I'm not saying it's wrong. I just don't think there are enough guys in this area for us to focus as hard on it as some like to portray it.

You're probably right.

1-2 in Nebraska

1-2 in South Dakota/North Dakota

1-3 in Iowa

1-3 in Minnesota

1-3 in Colorado

1-3 in Kansas

1-4 in Missouri

That's 7-20 in any given year.