500 Mile Radius

I'm all for getting as much talent as we can out of this area but I don't think we've done poorly recently.

Scout has been tweeting their final rankings this afternoon. We have the #1 (Decker) and #2 (Neal) players in Nebraska, the #2 (Gaylord) player in Kansas, #4 and #7 in Missouri (Davis'), the #3 (Barnett) in Oklahoma and the #1 (Lee) and #3 (Anderson) player in Colorado. That's eight of our current 14 commits. The other six are from states that have a lot more talent to offer (in terms of numbers) - Georgia, Arizona, Louisiana, Texas, Florida and California. That mix sounds just about right to me.

We didn't have any from Iowa, Minnesota or Illinois this year. But we have Farmer, Finnin (via JUCO), Valentine, Wilbon and Westerkamp from Illinois. Not as much talent in Wisconsin and the Dakotas but we have Natter and especially Gerry.

• Fire 1

About 35 scholarship players this past year came from the area highlighted on that map plus 3-4 more from Ohio. Also, we signed two of the best athletes in the area recently but they played baseball instead.

That's over 40% of this past year's roster and would have been close to 50% with the add-ons I listed above. If we can do better than that going forward, that would be great. But I'm not sure the numbers are there.

Also, it's not as if the door is closed at this point. The new coaches have reached out to a lot of recruits including several committed to other schools and one committed to Ohio State. They might have done differently under different circumstances but it doesn't appear they have with the chance they've gotten.

Also, it's not as if the door is closed at this point. The new coaches have reached out to a lot of recruits including several committed to other schools and one committed to Ohio State. They might have done differently under different circumstances but it doesn't appear they have with the chance they've gotten.

I thought someone reported that he was an early enrollee? Obviously, he could change his mind, but that would be odd.

I thought someone reported that he was an early enrollee? Obviously, he could change his mind, but that would be odd.

The recruiting sites show him enrolled.

Treand3 what are your sources on that? From all I've heard, he wasn't that interested in Nebraska.

Guess people "in the know". From what I heard it was the other way around.

Huh, interesting. Regardless of that, the other thing I always heard is that his work ethic is not good.

That is another story all in itself. Either way its up to Riley and Co to do their due diligence with talent in a short driving distance.

This is not an incitement of any sort, just an observation:

If there's all this talent in-state and in the 500 mile radius that we've been missing out on, and the new staff says it's their main priority to own the area, why are they spending 90% of their time on the coasts? Shouldn't there be a lot of "local" fallen that's been overlooked to pick up on? I mean, we're offering two-star kids from other places. Aren't there those kind of prospects closer to home?

• Fire 2