500 Mile Radius

This is not an incitement of any sort, just an observation:

If there's all this talent in-state and in the 500 mile radius that we've been missing out on, and the new staff says it's their main priority to own the area, why are they spending 90% of their time on the coasts? Shouldn't there be a lot of "local" fallen that's been overlooked to pick up on? I mean, we're offering two-star kids from other places. Aren't there those kind of prospects closer to home?

My guess is that the players on the coasts that they are after were players they were evaluating while at Oregon St and probably know what they might be getting. Most likely didn't pay a lot of attention to Nebraska kids while in Corvallis.

Next year will probably be a better indicator of them getting after the 500 mile kids.

I could be talking out of my ass too because I know jack schit about recruiting.

To some extent, I think that is correct. Especially the California and Texas guys. But I don't think that's the case with the Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, etc. kids, especially the offers we've seen in the last week or so.

They are scrambling right now to fill a class they had literally a month or so to figure out. I will guarantee you while in Corvallis they didn't pay any attention to Nebraska, Kansas, Iowa...etc. They had a ton of talent right in their back yard up and down the west coast. And, like every other program, they tried to poach out as many as they could from the states you listed.

That doesn't mean that now that Nebraska, Kansas and Iowa are their back yard, they won't pay more attention to that area in the future when they have time to get to know the local coaches and players.

it also doesn't mean that we as Husker fans don't want them recruiting those other states in the future.

• Fire 1

But my point is they didn't pay a lot of attention to Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, etc. either. Yet that's where they went to pick up guys late.

I'm not saying it's wrong. I just don't think there are enough guys in this area for us to focus as hard on it as some like to portray it.

But my point is they didn't pay a lot of attention to Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, etc. either. Yet that's where they went to pick up guys late.

I'm not saying it's wrong. I just don't think there are enough guys in this area for us to focus as hard on it as some like to portray it.

You're probably right.

1-2 in Nebraska

1-2 in South Dakota/North Dakota

1-3 in Iowa

1-3 in Minnesota

1-3 in Colorado

1-3 in Kansas

1-4 in Missouri

That's 7-20 in any given year.

1-2 in Nebraska

1-2 in South Dakota/North Dakota

1-3 in Iowa

1-3 in Minnesota

1-3 in Colorado

1-3 in Kansas

1-4 in Missouri

That's 7-20 in any given year.

Yeah, as far as guys that the Huskers can sign (allowing for other schools to get some of the talent), I'd say:

2-3 in Nebraska

1-2 in Minnesota and the Dakotas

1-2 in Iowa

1-2 in Colorado

2-3 in Kansas

2-3 in Missouri (depending on which side of KC for the last two)

So 8-15, depending on the year. Might be a little higher next year because of all of the close OLine talent we're sitting good with.

Then you expand to Illinois, Indiana and Oklahoma (according to their definition) and pick up 2-3 more.

In Daishon Neal's interview on 1620 this morning, his dad was asked about Neal possibly going to Oregon. Neal's dad said "if he was going to Oregon, I would probably only see him one time, at graduation."

This re-emphasizes the point that the 500 mile radius shows. Kids (and their parents) usually want to go to college at schools close to their hometown.

In Daishon Neal's interview on 1620 this morning, his dad was asked about Neal possibly going to Oregon. Neal's dad said "if he was going to Oregon, I would probably only see him one time, at graduation."

This re-emphasizes the point that the 500 mile radius shows. Kids (and their parents) usually want to go to college at schools close to their hometown.

I believe Daishon's next comment is not the standard attitude but he went on to say that that wasn't important to him.

So, it was important to his Dad but not to him.

In general, I agree with you, location is important and locking down the 500 miles area is also important.

This is not an incitement of any sort, just an observation:

If there's all this talent in-state and in the 500 mile radius that we've been missing out on, and the new staff says it's their main priority to own the area, why are they spending 90% of their time on the coasts? Shouldn't there be a lot of "local" fallen that's been overlooked to pick up on? I mean, we're offering two-star kids from other places. Aren't there those kind of prospects closer to home?

I agree with Mavric. The 500 mile radius stuff seems to be touted mostly by the media and fans. I just don't see enough talent in our border states to compete for championships.

This year Nebraska managed to get the two best players from Colorado, two great players from Missouri, two Nebraska kids, a top OL from Kansas and we have what, the 35th best recruiting class in the country? Nebraska's recruiting success in Oklahoma and northern Arkansas is going to be limited at best. I just don't see how much better Nebraska could reasonably perform in this area to put themselves over the top.

There are no easy answers to our recruiting problems. Dominating the 500 mile radius is nice and where the core of our class will come from each year, but that geographic reality is exactly what holds Nebraska back.

"We're going back and saying, 'This appears to be very, very important to us, this Nebraska and (500-mile) radius thing,'" Riley said. "But you can't just live there. You have to be able to go to Georgia, Florida, California, Texas ..."

For instance, "We'll probably have three coaches who will have parts of Texas," he said.
He mentioned Houston, Austin, San Antonio and Dallas.
Riley said he's in the midst of assigning his assistant coaches to particular states.
"And those states we don't cover, we'll have somebody on the adjunct staff -- our interns, scouting department -- who will be responsible to say, 'There's this great defensive lineman at Grant High School in Portland named Ndamukong Suh -- go get him.'"

LJS

"We're going back and saying, 'This appears to be very, very important to us, this Nebraska and (500-mile) radius thing,'" Riley said. "But you can't just live there. You have to be able to go to Georgia, Florida, California, Texas ..."

For instance, "We'll probably have three coaches who will have parts of Texas," he said.
He mentioned Houston, Austin, San Antonio and Dallas.
Riley said he's in the midst of assigning his assistant coaches to particular states.
"And those states we don't cover, we'll have somebody on the adjunct staff -- our interns, scouting department -- who will be responsible to say, 'There's this great defensive lineman at Grant High School in Portland named Ndamukong Suh -- go get him.'"

LJS

It's official, we aren't recruiting Washington. f#*k.

• 2 weeks later...

According to Rivals rankings, there are 288 four-star recruits in the country. 14 of them are in the 500-mile radius (4.8%)

There are 770 three-star rated recruits. 70 of them are within 500 miles (9.1%)

About 8% of the 1,058 three-star-or-better recruits are in this area. Only 16 are in Nebraska and border states. We have three of them committed already.

To get into the Top 15 recruiting classes, we'll need close to 10 four-star recruits. In 2011 - when we were #15 - we had 11. Three of those were from the 500 mile radius: Klachko, Starling and Reeves.

I just don't think there are enough numbers available to get significantly more recruits from the 500 mile radius than we've been getting over the last 6-8 years.