500 Mile Radius

According to Rivals rankings, there are 288 four-star recruits in the country. 14 of them are in the 500-mile radius (4.8%)

There are 770 three-star rated recruits. 70 of them are within 500 miles (9.1%)

About 8% of the 1,058 three-star-or-better recruits are in this area. Only 16 are in Nebraska and border states. We have three of them committed already.

To get into the Top 15 recruiting classes, we'll need close to 10 four-star recruits. In 2011 - when we were #15 - we had 11. Three of those were from the 500 mile radius: Klachko, Starling and Reeves.

I just don't think there are enough numbers available to get significantly more recruits from the 500 mile radius than we've been getting over the last 6-8 years.

Correct. There just isn't much talent in the area. The backbone of each class needs to be built in the 500 mile radius, say 5 or 6 players (think Avery Anderson, E. Lee, Neal and the Davis Twins). We're going to have to pluck players out of Texas, California, Virginia and the leftovers from the southeast for the rest of the spots.

Trying to fill a class with more than half of our recruits coming from the 500 mile radius isn't a recipe for success most years. The talent isn't there unless our success rate is even higher.

Not to mention Nebraska just isn't going to have much success in places like Oklahoma and Arkansas most of the time.

According to Rivals rankings, there are 288 four-star recruits in the country. 14 of them are in the 500-mile radius (4.8%)

About 8% of the 1,058 three-star-or-better recruits are in this area. Only 16 are in Nebraska and border states. We have three of them committed already.

To get into the Top 15 recruiting classes, we'll need close to 10 four-star recruits. In 2011 - when we were #15 - we had 11. Three of those were from the 500 mile radius: Klachko, Starling and Reeves.

I just don't think there are enough numbers available to get significantly more recruits from the 500 mile radius than we've been getting over the last 6-8 years.

Correct. There just isn't much talent in the area. The backbone of each class needs to be built in the 500 mile radius, say 5 or 6 players (think Avery Anderson, E. Lee, Neal and the Davis Twins). We're going to have to pluck players out of Texas, California, Virginia and the leftovers from the southeast for the rest of the spots.

Trying to fill a class with more than half of our recruits coming from the 500 mile radius isn't a recipe for success most years. The talent isn't there unless our success rate is even higher.

Not to mention Nebraska just isn't going to have much success in places like Oklahoma and Arkansas most of the time.

I also think that this stat is a bit biased on Rivals part. Just look at the comparison of the top 100 in GA vs. B1G footprint that Sam McKewon put out the other day. You can't tell me that the state of GA has more talent by itself than a group of states that are more than 1/5 of the states in the Union.

You're basing this off of Rivals rankings? So, you believe their rankings when they say Georgia alone has more talent than all the states included in the 500 mile radius?

I think it's possible. Unless the NFL is just as biased:

Nebraska - 9

Kansas - 15

Missouri - 24

Colorado - 19

Iowa - 13

Wyoming - 3

South Dakota - 3

North Dakota - 0

Minnesota - 11

Illinois - 37

TOTAL - 134

Georgia - 95

PA, NJ, Maryland, Ohio, Michigan, Indiana.........seems a bit far fetched doesn't it?

--edit-- I see you were responding to the 500 mile radius question, not the comparison to B1G area as Sam McKewon pointed out. You still are leaving out a few states.

Nebraska - 9

Kansas - 15

Missouri - 24

Colorado - 19

Iowa - 13

Wyoming - 3

South Dakota - 3

North Dakota - 0

Minnesota - 11

Illinois - 37

TOTAL - 134

Georgia - 95

Thanks for a link that proves it wrong.

200 mile radius = 208

Georgia = 95

You are missing Arkansas, Oklahoma, Wisconsin, Indiana,

B75mP5XCYAAsxkz.jpg

Nebraska - 9

Kansas - 15

Missouri - 24

Colorado - 19

Iowa - 13

Wyoming - 3

South Dakota - 3

North Dakota - 0

Minnesota - 11

Illinois - 37

TOTAL - 134

Georgia - 95

Thanks for a link that proves it wrong.

200 mile radius = 208

Georgia = 95

You are missing Arkansas, Oklahoma, Wisconsin, Indiana,

B75mP5XCYAAsxkz.jpg

Outside of Barnett this recruiting cycle, Oklahoma and Arkansas are not places Nebraska has recruited with any sort of success.

I also think that Indiana is difficult to recruit because of Notre Dame and Ohio State.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Here is the current activity of Nebraska with Rivals Top250 2016 recruits in the 500 mile radius. Of the 11, one is committed (John Raridon, who committed under Bo) and six others have offers (though only AJ Taylor received his by the current staff). The offers have been to OL Ben Bredeson, DE Josh King, OL John Raridon, DE Amani Bledsoe, AJ Taylor, OL Matt Farniok, and OL Sean Foster,. Here is a quick run down of the level of interest by those offered (this list is somewhat from most to least interested).

John Raridon - 6'4" 280 lbs OL West Des Moines, IA

Raridon committed to the Husker back in September and effectively shutdown his recruit since. His interest is clear, so moving on.

Matt Farniok - 6'5" 308 lbs OL Sioux Falls, SD

Farniok has shown a lot of interest, visiting Nebraska for BRW last year, an unofficial for the Miami game, and the Meet-and-Greet with this new staff in January. Farniok is garnering nation-wide interest, so this will be a dog fight. Still, Riley needs this win.

A.J. Taylor - 5'11" 190 lbs RB Kansas City, MO

Taylor is the only recruit on this list to receive an offer from the Riley staff. He is at Rockhurst HS, same as current Huskers Michael Rose and Zach Hannon. Taylor visited for the Miami game and has tentative plans to visit for the spring game. He has garnered lots of attention, specifically from Wisconsin, Northwestern, Missouri and Kansas State. He clearly knows about Nebraska and its tradition, so I would say Nebraska is in the mix but will have to turn up the recruitment, as Taylor says he has not heard a lot from them. Taylor has talked about making a summer decision.

Amani Bledsoe - 6'5" 265 lbs DE Lawrence, KS

Bledsoe has shown a lot of interest in the past, already visiting Nebraska twice last year (a campus visit and unofficial for the Miami game), but Oklahoma is pushing hard here. Bledsoe "slowed down" his recruiting process earlier in the year and could be a senior year commit somewhere. I have not heard about much conversation from either side since Riley took over. However, like Farniok, I would think this is a must get if Riley is trying to maintain a foothold in the 500 mile radius.

Sean Foster - 6'8" 285 lbs OT Mundelein, IL

Foster received his first offer from Nebraska, under Bo's tenure. There was a connection as Bo and Sean's father were at Iowa at the same time. Despite all that, on Monday, Foster released a Top 5 of Purdue, Minnesota, Indiana, Wisconsin and Iowa. However, he rescinded that later in the day. I would put Nebraska in the low interest column.

Ben Bredeson - 6'4" 280 lbs OL Hartland, WI
Bredeson is an easy "No", with a top list of Michigan, Notre Dame, Ohio St, and Wisconsin. Moving on.

Josh King - 6'6" 230 lbs DE Darien, IL

For King, it appears his top list is Michigan, Ohio St, Notre Dame, Michigan St, and Iowa. Also, it has been ghost with Riley's staff and King.

Here is a quick recruitment breakdown of the 4 without Nebraska offers. Two are committed (OL Erik Swenson (Downers Grove, IL) is committed to Michigan and RB Kentrail Moran (O'Fallon, IL) is committed to Illinois). OLB/DE Carlo Kemp (Boulder, CO) is more quite than most recruits but seems to only be getting interest from the West Coast. WR TJ Vasher (Wichita Falls, TX) is getting looks from Texas Tech, SMU, and Ohio St (though he does not have a leader).

Of this Top11 in the 500 mile radius, I would say our best chances of landing additional commitments would come from AJ Taylor, Amani Bledsoe, and Matt Farniok. The Non-competes are Ben Bredeson, Josh King, Naquan Jones, Erick Swenson, and Kentrail Moran. Sean Foster is up in the air (but unlikely). As for Carlo Kemp and TJ Vasher, neither have been getting much interest from Nebraska, so don't hold your breath.

The only other four star recruits that are not on the list of Rivals Top250 2016 recruits falling the 500 mile radius are DT Naquan Jones and LB Tuf Borland. Here are are some thoughts about their recruitment as well.

Naquan Jones - 6'4" 286 lbs DT Evanston, IL

Like Taylor, Jones received his offer from the Riley staff. However, I don't see Nebraska getting his services. Jones has a top list of Ohio State, South Carolina, Michigan, Michigan State and Wisconsin, with interest reciprocated by at least Ohio St and Michigan.

Tuf Borland - 6'1" 215 lbs LB Bolingbrook, IL

LB Tuf Borland (Bolingbrook, IL; yes, of that Borland clan) has a Top 3 of Northwestern, Ohio St, and Wisconsin. Wisconsin Legacy. No chance.

• Fire 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Just an update. Might be off one or two here and there but here's a breakdown of the offers from the new staff.

They offered 26 players for the 2015 class. I believe just one (Barnett) was within the 500 mile radius.

They've offered 133 players for the 2016 class. By my count, 21 of them have been inside the radius, and three of those are JUCOs.

For the 2017/2018 classes, they've offered 19 with 2 of them in the radius.

Overall, that's 24 offers withing 500 miles out of 178 or 13.4%.