Jump to content
Mavric

500 Mile Radius

Recommended Posts

The rest of the story- Number of players with a high 3 star rating or higher:

Iowa - 3

Illinois - 2

Minn. - 1

Iowa St. - 1

Wisconsin - 7, but 5 are from the home state.

Kansas St. - 1

now this is more important than the tweet was, this has more bearing imo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we should branch out more. Tap into the European, African, Asian and Australian markets. Bunch of untapped potential. We could start doing satellite camps there and the hopefully in a couple years we're getting around 15+ players from overseas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This graph means 0 unless they want to use % and base it off population #'s - however, for anybody that has an agenda - I guess it is pretty nice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Out of at least 276 scholarship offers Nebraska extended to high school recruits this year, less than 10 percent — 27 total — went to players within that 500-mile radius. Only one-third of the class, which features 18 commits as of Friday afternoon, comes from inside the 500-mile radius.

 

That’s already the lowest percentage of the last four classes, and depending on how many recruits NU ends up landing, that percentage could drop as low as 25 percent. Only two classes since 1989 have had 500-mile radius recruits comprise less than a quarter of the final total.

 

An increasing focus on California combined with a lack of talent nearby has contributed to this. There were 13 recruits in the Rivals250 from within the 500-mile radius this year. That’s the lowest total since at least 2008, and that number has decreased each of the last three cycles.

 

OWH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not too concerned about this year. It was a low year for production of players in the 500 mile radius. Let's wait until there are high 3, 4 and 5 star players in our radius and we don't go for them. The balance was good this year and MR is trying to establish some inroads to pay off in future years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not too concerned about this year. It was a low year for production of players in the 500 mile radius. Let's wait until there are high 3, 4 and 5 star players in our radius and we don't go for them. The balance was good this year and MR is trying to establish some inroads to pay off in future years.

And there is already proof that we will go after the in 2018. Already two commits and a bunch more offers in the radius.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So much talent in the radius in 2018, the state of Missouri in particular. Alot of highly rated players in the St. Louis area as well as KC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been thinking about this for awhile but finally got around to really looking at it.

 

Crazy how down Class A in Nebraska has been for several years now when it comes to producing legit Power 5 prospects.

 

Here are the top five prospects from the state according to the 247 Composite and which class they played in high school.  Players the Husker got are highlighted red.  Players are crossed out if they didn't go to a Power 5 school (Marsh originally walked-on at NU then transferred).

 

2018 - Jurgens (B), Williams (A), Mapieu (B), Schlager (B)

2017 - Allen (B), Walker (A), Bradley (A), Strom (A), Kitrell (B)

2016 - Fant (A), Bubak (C), Stille (B), Manchigiah (A), Cromer (B)

2015 - Neal (A), Decker (A), Holtorf (B), Johnson (A), Strong (A)

2014 - Foster (A), Phillips (A), Stoltenberg (B), Gifford (A), Rose (A)

2013 - Banderas (A), LaCouture (A), Minter (A), Bazata (D), Sayles (A)

2012 - Bender (A), Ott (D), Cotton (A), Rahmings (C), Grigsby (A)

2011 - Reeves (B), Sterup (C), Davie (B), Fisher (A), Lampkin (A)

2010 - Rodriguez (B), Evans (B), Dietz (A), Cotton (A), Marsh (A)

2009 - Lechner (A), Sellers (B), Zimmerer (B), Pensick (A), Davis (A)

 

So in the last 10 classes, only 11 class a players have signed with the Huskers and two of them (I believe) were walk-ons.  Six from Class A went to other Power 5 schools though LaCouture shouldn't really count.  

 

Over that same timeframe, Class B has produced 9 Huskers (two walk-ons).  So Class A has only produced two more scholarship Huskers over the last 10 years than Class B has.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/29/2017 at 2:04 PM, Mavric said:

Been thinking about this for awhile but finally got around to really looking at it.

 

Crazy how down Class A in Nebraska has been for several years now when it comes to producing legit Power 5 prospects.

 

Here are the top five prospects from the state according to the 247 Composite and which class they played in high school.  Players the Husker got are highlighted red.  Players are crossed out if they didn't go to a Power 5 school (Marsh originally walked-on at NU then transferred).

 

2018 - Jurgens (B), Williams (A), Mapieu (B), Schlager (B)

2017 - Allen (B), Walker (A), Bradley (A), Strom (A), Kitrell (B)

2016 - Fant (A), Bubak (C), Stille (B), Manchigiah (A), Cromer (B)

2015 - Neal (A), Decker (A), Holtorf (B), Johnson (A), Strong (A)

2014 - Foster (A), Phillips (A), Stoltenberg (B), Gifford (A), Rose (A)

2013 - Banderas (A), LaCouture (A), Minter (A), Bazata (D), Sayles (A)

2012 - Bender (A), Ott (D), Cotton (A), Rahmings (C), Grigsby (A)

2011 - Reeves (B), Sterup (C), Davie (B), Fisher (A), Lampkin (A)

2010 - Rodriguez (B), Evans (B), Dietz (A), Cotton (A), Marsh (A)

2009 - Lechner (A), Sellers (B), Zimmerer (B), Pensick (A), Davis (A)

 

So in the last 10 classes, only 11 class a players have signed with the Huskers and two of them (I believe) were walk-ons.  Six from Class A went to other Power 5 schools though LaCouture shouldn't really count.  

 

Over that same timeframe, Class B has produced 9 Huskers (two walk-ons).  So Class A has only produced two more scholarship Huskers over the last 10 years than Class B has.  

 

There are more teams in class B.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

There are more teams in class B.

 

There are more kids in Class A

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Travis Fisher says "we have to make St. Louis our new Miami" meaning that is the closest city (as Miami was for them at UCF) with a bunch of talent that they have to be able to go into and get guys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HuskermanMike said:

Yes, this is excellent news! Outside of Held, does Walters have some connections to this state from his days at Colorado? I ask this because we seem to have some great connections in Oklahoma lately. 

 

None that have been mentioned that I've seen.

 

I think we just have a staff that actually *means* it when they say they're going to recruit the 500-mile radius.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mavric said:

 

 

 

I think we just have a staff that actually *means* it when they say they're going to recruit the 500-mile radius.

I think the other staff “meant” they were going to recruit the 500 miles

 

2015:  8 of 21 were from that radius.  Although I believe Anderson and Lee committed to Pelini originally.

 

2016:  10 of 21

 

2017:  5 of 18

 

2018:  4 of 22.  All committed to Riley before being fired.

 

Riley also got 2 for 2019.

 

That amounts to be about 1 out of 3 if you include Lee and Anderson.   Which isn’t bad.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

I think the other staff “meant” they were going to recruit the 500 miles

 

2015:  8 of 21 were from that radius.  Although I believe Anderson and Lee committed to Pelini originally.

 

2016:  10 of 21

 

2017:  5 of 18

 

2018:  4 of 22.  All committed to Riley before being fired.

 

Riley also got 2 for 2019.

 

That amounts to be about 1 out of 3 if you include Lee and Anderson.   Which isn’t bad.

 

 

I personally think the 500 mile radius is over obsessed about. Offer the best talent you want, focus on the ones you get a genuine feeling you have a shot of getting, then go get them. That will lead to the best possible classes. 

 

We have inroads in Florida with this staff. So that should be priority in my mind. 

 

Each staff will have coaches with connections in on s in different areas, focus on strengths and don’t try to force areas that make no sense cause you will come up short. 

 

I do think west coast kids like the west coast whether you have inroads or not- so selective recruiting out there 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

I think the other staff “meant” they were going to recruit the 500 miles

 

2015:  8 of 21 were from that radius.  Although I believe Anderson and Lee committed to Pelini originally. Lee, Anderson, Davis, Davis, Gaylord, Neal and Decker were all committed to Pelini.  Riley got 11 commits after he was hired and only Barnett was a 500 mile radius guy who was a late grab after everyone else backed off of him - and we're seeing why now.

 

2016:  10 of 21 Raridon and Brokop were committed to Pelini.  Engelhaupt was a day-before-signing-day panic because they struck out elsewhere.  So 7 of the 18 guys they actually recruited.

 

2017:  5 of 18 

 

2018:  4 of 22.  All committed to Riley before being fired.

 

Riley also got 2 for 2019.

 

That amounts to be about 1 out of 3 if you include Lee and Anderson.   Which isn’t bad.  So 19 out of the 71 guys they actually recruited ... rougly 25%.  Other than the 2016 class it was 12 out of 53.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mavric said:

 

I don’t think it negates the fact that they meant to recruit the radius.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

I don’t think it negates the fact that they meant to recruit the radius.  

I think it shows bo made an effort and MR did not put forth so much effort.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/7/2018 at 4:26 PM, swmohusker said:

I think it shows bo made an effort and MR did not put forth so much effort.  

So I did some digging.  And this could and probably should get moved elsewhere but I looked at offers and commits to 500 mile radius states from 2008 up to 2019 so far.  I didn't look into exact dates of when a prospect committed and to what coach.  This was specifically a "Nebraska" recruiting effort.

 

500 mile radius states I included were:  Nebraska, Colorado, Kansas, Oklahoma, Iowa, Illinois, Missouri, North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota, and Wisconsin

 

2008:  168 total offers.  34 to radius=20%.  11 radius commits=32% success

2009:  109 total offers.  16 to radius=15%.  4 radius commits=25% success

2010:  82 total offers.  21 to radius=26%.  11 radius commits=52% success

2011:  96 total offers.  13 to radius=14%.  6 radius commits=46% success

2012:  126 total offers.  16 to radius=13%.  5 radius commits=33% success

2013:  224 total offers.  30 to radius=13%.  6 radius commits=20% success

2014:  305 total offers.  52 to radius=17%.  9 radius commits=17% success

2015:  250 total offers.  26 to radius=10%.  8 radius commits=31% success

2016:  279 total offers.  36 to radius=13%.  10 radius commits=27% success

2017:  280 total offers.  31 to radius=11%.  6 radius commits=19% success

2018:  279 total offers.  32 to radius=11%.  5 radius commits=16% success

2019:  378 total offers.  42 to radius=11%.  7 radius commits=17% success.

 

I took this info from 247.  2008 and 2009 are a little weird in that they seem to account for walk ons in the "Commits" page.  But either way, it appears Bo started off strong in the offers to radius players and was pretty successful.  Starting in 2012 you see a shift away from it that has continued through 2019 so far.  So the last 2 and the current coach (so far) are all about the same with regards to their recruiting attention to radius states and players.

 

Take it fwiw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

So I did some digging.  And this could and probably should get moved elsewhere but I looked at offers and commits to 500 mile radius states from 2008 up to 2019 so far.  I didn't look into exact dates of when a prospect committed and to what coach.  This was specifically a "Nebraska" recruiting effort.

 

500 mile radius states I included were:  Nebraska, Colorado, Kansas, Oklahoma, Iowa, Illinois, Missouri, North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota, and Wisconsin

 

2008:  168 total offers.  34 to radius=20%.  11 radius commits=32% success

2009:  109 total offers.  16 to radius=15%.  4 radius commits=25% success

2010:  82 total offers.  21 to radius=26%.  11 radius commits=52% success

2011:  96 total offers.  13 to radius=14%.  6 radius commits=46% success

2012:  126 total offers.  16 to radius=13%.  5 radius commits=33% success

2013:  224 total offers.  30 to radius=13%.  6 radius commits=20% success

2014:  305 total offers.  52 to radius=17%.  9 radius commits=17% success

2015:  250 total offers.  26 to radius=10%.  8 radius commits=31% success

2016:  279 total offers.  36 to radius=13%.  10 radius commits=27% success

2017:  280 total offers.  31 to radius=11%.  6 radius commits=19% success

2018:  279 total offers.  32 to radius=11%.  5 radius commits=16% success

2019:  378 total offers.  42 to radius=11%.  7 radius commits=17% success.

 

I took this info from 247.  2008 and 2009 are a little weird in that they seem to account for walk ons in the "Commits" page.  But either way, it appears Bo started off strong in the offers to radius players and was pretty successful.  Starting in 2012 you see a shift away from it that has continued through 2019 so far.  So the last 2 and the current coach (so far) are all about the same with regards to their recruiting attention to radius states and players.

 

Take it fwiw.

I think you offer kids who fit your system and you have a real shot to land them whether they are in 500 mile radius or not. If you can have a real shot at landing better talent and it is 600 miles away then I would rather get that kid than offering someone who is less talented or doesnt fit your system as well just because they are within 500 miles. Kinda silly when you really think about it. Make sure you bring home the top talent around for sure- but take the best talent you can get.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

So I did some digging.  And this could and probably should get moved elsewhere but I looked at offers and commits to 500 mile radius states from 2008 up to 2019 so far.  I didn't look into exact dates of when a prospect committed and to what coach.  This was specifically a "Nebraska" recruiting effort.

 

500 mile radius states I included were:  Nebraska, Colorado, Kansas, Oklahoma, Iowa, Illinois, Missouri, North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota, and Wisconsin

 

2008:  168 total offers.  34 to radius=20%.  11 radius commits=32% success

2009:  109 total offers.  16 to radius=15%.  4 radius commits=25% success

2010:  82 total offers.  21 to radius=26%.  11 radius commits=52% success

2011:  96 total offers.  13 to radius=14%.  6 radius commits=46% success

2012:  126 total offers.  16 to radius=13%.  5 radius commits=33% success

2013:  224 total offers.  30 to radius=13%.  6 radius commits=20% success

2014:  305 total offers.  52 to radius=17%.  9 radius commits=17% success

2015:  250 total offers.  26 to radius=10%.  8 radius commits=31% success

2016:  279 total offers.  36 to radius=13%.  10 radius commits=27% success

2017:  280 total offers.  31 to radius=11%.  6 radius commits=19% success

2018:  279 total offers.  32 to radius=11%.  5 radius commits=16% success

2019:  378 total offers.  42 to radius=11%.  7 radius commits=17% success.

 

I took this info from 247.  2008 and 2009 are a little weird in that they seem to account for walk ons in the "Commits" page.  But either way, it appears Bo started off strong in the offers to radius players and was pretty successful.  Starting in 2012 you see a shift away from it that has continued through 2019 so far.  So the last 2 and the current coach (so far) are all about the same with regards to their recruiting attention to radius states and players.

 

Take it fwiw.

Really???

 

From last year (mostly Riley's offers) to this year, we have seen a 31% increase in offers within the 500 mile radius.  This is with most of a coaching staff that doesn't have long relationships yet in those HSs.  In fact, this staff has offered more within that radius than any year on that list except one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I think you offer kids who fit your system and you have a real shot to land them whether they are in 500 mile radius or not. If you can have a real shot at landing better talent and it is 600 miles away then I would rather get that kid than offering someone who is less talented or doesnt fit your system as well just because they are within 500 miles. Kinda silly when you really think about it. Make sure you bring home the top talent around for sure- but take the best talent you can get.

I don't necessarily disagree but that really wasn't the point of the conversation.  The statements that were made were that Frost and Co "means" to recruit the area more than the last coach or past coaches and that Bo was putting in more effort than Riley.  

 

So far, Frost is right at Riley levels but it's very early.  And Bo did put in more effort at the beginning of his career than Riley but they were basically the same after 2012 in offers with Bo having more success in landing the radius player.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

Really???

 

From last year (mostly Riley's offers) to this year, we have seen a 31% increase in offers within the 500 mile radius.  This is with most of a coaching staff that doesn't have long relationships yet in those HSs.  In fact, this staff has offered more within that radius than any year on that list except one.

You're right.  in total offers there is more to the radius.  I was speaking more in the terms of percentage of total offers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, StPaulHusker said:

You're right.  in total offers there is more to the radius.  I was speaking more in the terms of percentage of total offers.

 

Percent doesn't mean much because that fluctuates heavily by the total number of offers.

 

Within that 500 mile radius, there is a fairly steady number of students graduating in any year.  If, for whatever reason, the number of overall offers go up like they have this year, that doesn't mean you can easily (just because you want to focus more on that area) make a corresponding number of offers within that area.

 

The number of actual offers in that area means way more.  You're trying to make a bold statement that the staff isn't doing good enough in the radius while using a part of the statistics that can be affected by more than if they are serious about recruiting kids from that area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

can you break down which offers in 2018 and 2019 came from riley and which came from frost? both those years and most likely 2020 have offers from both coaches, so you cant really tell what the trend is unless you differentiate the offers. conversely frost has honored many of riley's offers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

 

Percent doesn't mean much because that fluctuates heavily by the total number of offers.

 

Within that 500 mile radius, there is a fairly steady number of students graduating in any year.  If, for whatever reason, the number of overall offers go up like they have this year, that doesn't mean you can easily (just because you want to focus more on that area) make a corresponding number of offers within that area.

 

The number of actual offers in that area means way more.  You're trying to make a bold statement that the staff isn't doing good enough in the radius while using a part of the statistics that can be affected by more than if they are serious about recruiting kids from that area.

I didn't make any bold statement.  Someone else said that Bo and Frost put more effort into recruiting the radius than Riley.  I showed that, in relation to their TOTAL recruiting effort and offers, they were all about the same percentage wise.

 

I don't care if they offer only radius players or none at all.  As long as it leads to competing for conference championships and CFP berths, that's all that matters to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, desertshox said:

can you break down which offers in 2018 and 2019 came from riley and which came from frost? both those years and most likely 2020 have offers from both coaches, so you cant really tell what the trend is unless you differentiate the offers. conversely frost has honored many of riley's offers.

I probably could.  But I included 2008 (Callahan-Pelini transition year) and 2015 (Pelini-Riley transition year) without separating them so to be fair I left 2018-19 in the same light.

 

Also, I thought about going further back into Callahan and maybe Solich years but recruiting rankings are really strange from about 2007-08 and earlier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, StPaulHusker said:

I didn't make any bold statement.  Someone else said that Bo and Frost put more effort into recruiting the radius than Riley. 

 

Well then, my comments are pointed at them.

 

It's a ridiculous statement that this staff isn't offering kids anymore within the radius when in actuality, they have offered more kids in the radius than 10 out of the last 11 years spanning two coaching staffs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

 

It's a ridiculous statement that this staff isn't offering kids anymore within the radius when in actuality, they have offered more kids in the radius than 10 out of the last 11 years spanning two coaching staffs.

It wasn't a statement of more offers.  It was a statement of more effort in the area in general.

 

They have offered 11 more players within the radius in the 2019 class compared to Riley's 2017 class.  But they also offered almost 100 more players overall too.  So the amount of attention the radius is receiving in offers in relation to total offers is about the same as it has been for about 10 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, StPaulHusker said:

They have offered 11 more players within the radius in the 2019 class compared to Riley's 2017 class.  But they also offered almost 100 more players overall too.  So the amount of attention the radius is receiving in offers in relation to total offers is about the same as it has been for about 10 years.

 

 

Well....now we are diving into an area where no-one on this board has a clue about.

 

We are looking at a few statistics and now making statements about where they are focusing their efforts?  Not all offers require or demand the same amount of time, visits, phone calls, text messages...etc.

 

How many of the 378 offers are from relationships built up while at UFC that they just rolled over into offers for Nebraska?
How many of those offers did they throw out hoping to get interest and quickly realized there wasn't any and now have no contact with the recruit?

What percentage of their time are they spending on each recruit for each state?

 

I'll guarantee you they are spending way more time on Henrich in Omaha than some low 3 star recruit from Florida that isn't show much interest.

 

The numbers show that they are very willing to offer kids within the 500 mile radius.  Again, more offers than 10 out of the last 11 years.  I don't see that as some accident.  Now, we might get out a couple years and things even out to a point where we can make the statements you and others are trying to make.  But, I don't see the evidence of it right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

 

 

Well....now we are diving into an area where no-one on this board has a clue about.

 

We are looking at a few statistics and now making statements about where they are focusing their efforts?  Not all offers require or demand the same amount of time, visits, phone calls, text messages...etc.

 

How many of the 378 offers are from relationships built up while at UFC that they just rolled over into offers for Nebraska?
How many of those offers did they throw out hoping to get interest and quickly realized there wasn't any and now have no contact with the recruit?

What percentage of their time are they spending on each recruit for each state?

 

I'll guarantee you they are spending way more time on Henrich in Omaha than some low 3 star recruit from Florida that isn't show much interest.

 

The numbers show that they are very willing to offer kids within the 500 mile radius.  Again, more offers than 10 out of the last 11 years.  I don't see that as some accident.  Now, we might get out a couple years and things even out to a point where we can make the statements you and others are trying to make.  But, I don't see the evidence of it right now.

 

 

Did you miss the part where I said take it for what it's worth?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we're missing a key thing here.

 

Putting more effort into the 500 mile radius is not just about # of offers. I believe we've heard from a couple 500 mile radius players now that said Frost and his staff paid them a lot more attention than the previous staff. We also have Bryson Williams(sp) as a good example of a failure by the previous staff. I believe Frost would have always picked Williams first due to his effort in school and his location. I'm of the opinion if you have a tie or close tie, you go with the one who is doing well enough in school to get an offer from Harvard. There was no chance he was an academic risk. I'm also of the belief if you have 2 really good DTs in Nebraska you just take them both, and you especially don't NOT take the Nebraska kid (let alone a Nebraska kid who has a family tie with Nebraska sports) with a Wisconsin offer.

 

Then there are the stories we've heard of how much more time they are spending in Nebraska high schools and IWCC. I believe the IWCC no Nebraska head coach (or maybe it was any Nebraska coach) had visited IWCC in years and that included both Riley and Pelini. Then there is what we've heard about the te spent at the Kansas junior college. It seems obvious they are putting more effort into the 500 mile radius.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I think we're missing a key thing here.

 

Putting more effort into the 500 mile radius is not just about # of offers. I believe we've heard from a couple 500 mile radius players now that said Frost and his staff paid them a lot more attention than the previous staff. We also have Bryson Williams(sp) as a good example of a failure by the previous staff. I believe Frost would have always picked Williams first due to his effort in school and his location. I'm of the opinion if you have a tie or close tie, you go with the one who is doing well enough in school to get an offer from Harvard. There was no chance he was an academic risk. I'm also of the belief if you have 2 really good DTs in Nebraska you just take them both, and you especially don't NOT take the Nebraska kid (let alone a Nebraska kid who has a family tie with Nebraska sports) with a Wisconsin offer.

 

Then there are the stories we've heard of how much more time they are spending in Nebraska high schools and IWCC. I believe the IWCC no Nebraska head coach (or maybe it was any Nebraska coach) had visited IWCC in years and that included both Riley and Pelini. Then there is what we've heard about the te spent at the Kansas junior college. It seems obvious they are putting more effort into the 500 mile radius.

 

Referring to the numbers I posted above, Riley got 19 commits from the radius in 3.5 classes.

 

Frost has 7 in about eight months (leaving Nelson & Snodgrass in the 19 of Riley's).  It won't be surprising if there are 10+ in this first full class.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I think we're missing a key thing here.

 

Putting more effort into the 500 mile radius is not just about # of offers. I believe we've heard from a couple 500 mile radius players now that said Frost and his staff paid them a lot more attention than the previous staff. We also have Bryson Williams(sp) as a good example of a failure by the previous staff. I believe Frost would have always picked Williams first due to his effort in school and his location. I'm of the opinion if you have a tie or close tie, you go with the one who is doing well enough in school to get an offer from Harvard. There was no chance he was an academic risk. I'm also of the belief if you have 2 really good DTs in Nebraska you just take them both, and you especially don't NOT take the Nebraska kid (let alone a Nebraska kid who has a family tie with Nebraska sports) with a Wisconsin offer.

Off topic but I have always thought that recruits with poor academics probably have poor work ethic.  Doing average in high school just isn't that difficult.  Also, if they are struggling in high school the time required for academics while in college could take away from time needed for development as an athlete. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, 4skers89 said:

Off topic but I have always thought that recruits with poor academics probably have poor work ethic.  Doing average in high school just isn't that difficult.  Also, if they are struggling in high school the time required for academics while in college could take away from time needed for development as an athlete. 

 

 

I'm sure that's true for some but I don't necessarily agree with it as a rule. If your parents didn't graduate high school or go to college it sets you back starting as early as your 2nd birthday, and this is something that is probably the case for a much higher % of would be college football players than your avg college student.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, 4skers89 said:

Off topic but I have always thought that recruits with poor academics probably have poor work ethic.  Doing average in high school just isn't that difficult.  Also, if they are struggling in high school the time required for academics while in college could take away from time needed for development as an athlete. 

Not always the case.  We have had some hard working kids who are being raised in a really tough environment.  Hard to fault them sometimes when they have no positive Influences in life outside of sports and school and they are raising themselves and sometimes their siblings.   Sometimes it is not a matter of laziness, but the fact the kid is just surviving through the circumstances.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, swmohusker said:

Not always the case.  We have had some hard working kids who are being raised in a really tough environment.  Hard to fault them sometimes when they have no positive Influences in life outside of sports and school and they are raising themselves and sometimes their siblings.   Sometimes it is not a matter of laziness, but the fact the kid is just surviving through the circumstances.  

Underrated post of the day. Basic needs come before school. Too many families aren't lucky enough to have school sit at the top of the priority list. Different world than that of which many of us were blessed enough to grow up in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×