Assessing the new coaching staff

knapplc

The new staff is largely complete, now that Riley has hired Keith Williams from Tulane as Wide Receivers coach. Now that the staff is assembled, what do people think? Good group? Bad group? Where is it weak, where is it strong?

Here's the list, including their coaching stops since about 2000.

Offensive Coordinator - Danny Langsdorf

Experience:

2000–01: Edmonton Eskimos (quarterbacks)

2002: New Orleans Saints (offensive assistant, quality control)

2003–04: New Orleans Saints (assistant wide receivers, special teams)

2005–13: Oregon State (offensive coordinator, quarterbacks)

2014: New York Giants (quarterbacks)

Running Backs - Reggie Davis
Experience:
2004: University of San Diego (tight ends)
2005-07: UNLV (running backs)
2008-10: Oregon State (running backs)
2011-13: San Francisco 49ers (tight ends)
2014: San Francisco 49ers (offensive line)

Wide Receivers - Keith Williams

Experience:

2000: Solano College (wide receivers)

2001-05: San Jose State (wide receivers)

2005-07: San Jose City College (offensive coordinator/wide receivers)

2008: San Diego Chargers (minority internship position)

2009-11: Fresno State (wide receivers)

2012-14: Tulane (wide receivers)

Offensive Line - Mike Cavanaugh
Experience:
1999-2004: Hawaii (offensive line)
2005-14: Oregon State (offensive line)

Defensive Coordinator - Mark Banker
Experience:
2003-2014: Oregon State (Defensive Coordinator)

Defensive Line - Hank Hughes
Experience:
2001: UConn (defensive line)
2002-04: UConn (defensive coordinator, defensive line)
2005-10: UConn (associate head coach for defense, defensive line)
2011-2012: UConn (associate head coach, defensive line)
2013: UConn (defensive coordinator, defensive line)
2014: Cincinnati (co-defensive coordinator, linebackers)

Linebackers - Trent Bray
Experience:
2008: Arizona State (graduate assistant)
2009: California Redwoods (linebackers)
2010-11: Arizona State (linebackers)
2012-14: Oregon State (graduate assistant, linebackers)

Defensive Backs - Charlton Warren

2005-07: Air Force (secondary, recruiting coordinator)

2008-11: Air Force (co-defensive coordinator, secondary, recruiting coordinator)

2012-13: Air Force (associate head coach, defensive coordinator, secondary)

2014: Nebraska (secondary)

Special Teams - Bruce Read

Experience:

2002-03: New York Giants (special teams)

2004-06: Oregon State (special teams)

2007-08: Dallas Cowboys (special teams)

2009-14: Oregon State (special teams)

Strength & Conditioning - Mark Philipp

Associate Athletic Director for Football Operations - Dan Van de Riet

Here's a list of all of the assistant coaches and tertiary staff members Riley has brought on, courtesy of the OWH.

The hot rumor about a lot of these guys is, they're good at recruiting. Who are those recruiting gurus? What's their experience?

• Fire 2

I'm excited about this staff. Lots of experience with people who appear to be good with the public, players, media, parents...etc.

The only thing they lack is experience at a power program like Nebraska all coaching together. I'm excited to see what they can do now that they are here.

Question....who coaches tight ends?

Tavita Thompson

I'm excited about this staff. Lots of experience with people who appear to be good with the public, players, media, parents...etc.

The only thing they lack is experience at a power program like Nebraska all coaching together. I'm excited to see what they can do now that they are here.

Tavita Thompson

Don't we have the maximum number of coaches now?

Tavita Thompson

Don't we have the maximum number of coaches now?

He's a GA, so he doesn't count against the max # of coaches. When he's not around, the TE's will be with the O-line for blocking drills and with the WR's for receiving drills.

I like the group.

Love

RB -- Reggie Davis

WR -- Keith Williams

OL -- Mike Cavanaugh

LB -- Trent Bray

DB -- Charlton Warren

All the support staff -- especially Ryan Gunderson and Andy Vaughn.

HC -- Mike Riley. Maybe most importantly.

Pressure's on

OC -- Danny Langsdorf

Playcalling, recruiting. Good resume, but much will be asked of him. Beck was solid and does leave some shoes to fill, especially in recruiting.

Question marks

DC -- Mark Banker

Biggest question marks by far. Let's see how he does with the defense, and with recruiting. And, hugely, if he doesn't cut it, would Riley be willing to make a change?

DL -- Hank Hughes

Banker believes in him and has DC experience. Recruiting?

ST -- Read

Has to show value in all phases of special teams play, not just kickers/punters (which I think is what he's known for). Is out on the trail recruiting but will he be an asset there? Still, you figure his job security is probably going to be very good.

• Fire 1

I am pretty happy with all of them. We lacked experience and class - both are abundant on this staff.

The ST dedicated hire is huge for me, I've been calling for that for a long time. Pelini largely ignored 1/3 of the game - and if you disagree with me look at who held the title...and look at how many other titles were tacked on behind that name. It's something that wasn't as obvious as it should have been due to pure luck of having a couple of the better kickers in the history of the program during his first few years here - and one of the best returners his last year. Like everything else, if Pelini didn't have an All-American anchoring a position it was rarely above average. ST was no different. The "team" components - the return game and coverage always stunk though: 91, 68, 111, 104, 78, 100, 66. Opponent punt return rankings like that will be a thing of the past. That in itself is worth 3-7 points a game and will keep momentum from swinging too far against us.

Experience...no one will be saying we lack that from here on. No more on-the-job training at Nebraska. That's a HUGE change considering the number of assistants (and HC) that have used Nebraska as a place to learn how to be a coach over the last 7 years.

Had a lengthy lay over last week and ran into a group of Oregon State fans at the airport bar. Picked their brain on Riley and what they thought... They loved the guy but said they thought it was time for a change due to the length of his tenure more than anything else. Gives both the beavers and Riley a fresh start. They said offensively the staff he will bring in should work out fine and that Riley should bring in much better players given our brand and not having a top 3 team right in our backyard.

The major concern was Banker as DC. Said he was a clear weak link on the previous staff from both an on the field and recruiting standpoint. Crowd was mixed on Riley's departure but seeing Banker go with him was supported 100% among the knowledgeable OSU fans.

Had a lengthy lay over last week and ran into a group of Oregon State fans at the airport bar. Picked their brain on Riley and what they thought... They loved the guy but said they thought it was time for a change due to the length of his tenure more than anything else. Gives both the beavers and Riley a fresh start. They said offensively the staff he will bring in should work out fine and that Riley should bring in much better players given our brand and not having a top 3 team right in our backyard.

The major concern was Banker as DC. Said he was a clear weak link on the previous staff from both an on the field and recruiting standpoint. Crowd was mixed on Riley's departure but seeing Banker go with him was supported 100% among the knowledgeable OSU fans.

I'm willing to give Banker the benefit of the doubt. I vividly remember a Charlie McBride coached defense that absolutely got torched time and time again by the Florida schools. It wasn't until he got speed on his defense that excelled. I think Banker is very similar. When he had the horses, his defenses have been pretty good. It was when he didn't have the horses that things fell apart. He should see a significant talent upgrade here than he had at Oregon State. Riley has already hired some good recruiters. This should help out in the future even if Banker isn't a good/great recruiter.

I understand the Oregon State fans thinking it's good getting a fresh start. There's quite a few OU fans who feel the same way. However, Oregon State unlike OU pretty much handicapped Riley more and more annually.