Frustrating/offense

OK...before I say this, I must point out that I still love Miles and this staff. I think we have a very very good staff here that will figure it out eventually.

But, here is my frustration.

I think ever since I have been watching Nebraska Basketball, it seems like the theme has always been, play great defense and (unfortunately) we aren't going to score many points.

Man it gets frustrating. We have gone through periods where we have players like Lue and Petteway. I always get all excited thinking, we have that main scorer that will open things up for the other players and our offense will click. But, it never actually happens.

We beat the last place team in the conference (according to record) by 3 points scoring barely 50 points. I think I read somewhere where Petteway and Shields combined for the tandem that has scored the most per game either in the country or in the league. However, we still are sitting at 252nd in the country in scoring and 316th in assists.

It is mind boggling.

We play such great defense that if our offense would ever get on track, we would be great. But, the sad thing is, I have been saying that for a very long time.

Why can't Nebraska ever have a really good offense in basketball?

Coaches can teach less talented players to play tough on defense and win games. Coaches can't teach players to shoot or create offense better. Offense mainly comes down to "talent" along with "shooting ability". Most of the guys on NU's team have a ceiling on the offensive end.

Petteway can score a lot at times, but I think he is a bit of a head case.

Shields is a good player, but he will never be a great scorer against solid defenses.

The rest of NU's current roster just doesn't have it on the offensive end right now. Pitchford is a streaky shooter who did well last year in his first year in the conference. NU isn't going to get much offense from their big guys. Their job is to bang with other bigs and play defense. Tarin Smith may be the spark for the offense, but he is just a frosh, so it's hard to depend on him making that leap this year.

• Fire 1

My few observations.

Benching Webster was a good thing.

Getting Smith and Abraham will be beneficial down the stretch. It will make defenses play differently.

If Smith can become that 3rd scorer, then you will see things open up more for Pettaway and Shields. Last year Gallegos filled that role and we saw what happens.

Pettaway is a dynamic player. But his poor decisions hurt this team. Shooting 3's on a fast break when you have the advantage will hurt you in the long run.

Walt P gets guarded by players that are smaller than him and he doesn't take advantage of that.

Not enough slashing to the lane to get points or fouls

• Fire 1

We could actually attempt to run an offense. That could be helpful.

I agree, what do we call our offense? The only play I have heard called was X or something like that and all it did was get Petteway with the ball way behind the three point line.

A consistent offense needs some plays that score against zones and plays designed to get easy baskets if the team is struggling.

We were pretty dyncamic offensively under Nee in the 90's. Just wanted to throw that out there. Go to youtube and chekc out them games the year we won the Big 8 tournament. That was some awfully fun basketball.

Those were some fun and exciting teams to watch. College basketball was just a better brand of basketball back then. I remember a game in 1991 when NU played Oklahoma in Norman. The game was back and forth and both teams might have been near 100 points.

We were pretty dyncamic offensively under Nee in the 90's. Just wanted to throw that out there. Go to youtube and chekc out them games the year we won the Big 8 tournament. That was some awfully fun basketball.

Those were some fun and exciting teams to watch. College basketball was just a better brand of basketball back then. I remember a game in 1991 when NU played Oklahoma in Norman. The game was back and forth and both teams might have been near 100 points.

Also the triple overtime vs Oklahoma where Jarron Boone's fadeaway 3 went through from behind the backboard and was disallowed.........

You think coach smith taking the HC job has anything to do with it?

Yes, I think that's a part of it.

And this is nothing against Molinari, but he is definitely a defensive guy.

I hope the next time there is a coaching vacancy TM looks to an offensive guru.....................especially one who will attack the basket.........(I know this is a recurring theme of mine, but I can't understand why we allow teams to press us without risk}..........IF we break the press, it's confounding to pass it around the perimeter until they get their defense set again..............if you are the opponent, why NOT press us, if there is no downside?

There was a game in 1994 i believe. That was the year of high scoring and the big 8 title. I remember my dad letting me stay up late for the Oklahoma game. We won the tip forward and Chubivk got it and dunked in literally the first 3 seconds. That game wound up 11somethin to 11somethin.

Yeah, i also remember that game in Norman that went like 7 ots or somethin. Boone made some wacky schoolyard shot from behind the backboard that was waved off. Danny nee billy tubbs. Eddie sutton SIT DOWN NORM. Colorado being that gimme win. The 90s were fun

You think coach smith taking the HC job has anything to do with it?

Yes, I think that's a part of it.

And this is nothing against Molinari, but he is definitely a defensive guy.

I hope the next time there is a coaching vacancy TM looks to an offensive guru.....................especially one who will attack the basket.........(I know this is a recurring theme of mine, but I can't understand why we allow teams to press us without risk}..........IF we break the press, it's confounding to pass it around the perimeter until they get their defense set again..............if you are the opponent, why NOT press us, if there is no downside?

This is the biggest thing. I was at WIU when he was head coach there and had a chance to watch multiple games out there. Love the guy and what he can do on the defensive end but even his teams at WIU very rarely made 60. Offense looks vey similar pace wise to what we're seeing now out of the Huskers. Obviously playing good defense will win you more games in the long run but you can consistently score in the 50's and expect to win a lot of games in the Big Ten.