Discussion of Ron Brown's Political/Religious Views - 2015 Edition

Basic rundown:

God has a plan that led him to continue coaching.

Wanted to stay at Nebraska.

Pelini allowing him to be open about Christ's teaching while coaching let's him overlook Pelini's profane, hate-filled speech to the players.

He doesn't apologize for his beliefs. Feels political correctness is cowardice.

Felt it was his right and duty to speak up in Omaha that homosexuality is a sin. Oddly left out how he didn't feel homosexuals deserved to be protected from discrimination.

Loved coaching all positions he was involved with. There was a lot of love and respect between Burkhead and Abdullah.

That interview reinforced my feelings about Brown. He's a good coach, but that sort of evangelizing crap isn't appropriate as an authority of the state. I'm glad he's gone, and I wish he'd been jettisoned by the university years ago.

...As for feeling like his religious beliefs made him unwanted, I'm not surprised Brown feels that way...

Fundamentalists have an almost pathological need to feel like they're being persecuted, and they invent it when there is none.

• Fire 5

That interview reinforced my feelings about Brown. He's a good coach, but that sort of evangelizing crap isn't appropriate as an authority of the state. I'm glad he's gone, and I wish he'd been jettisoned by the university years ago.

As for feeling like his religious beliefs made him unwanted, I'm not surprised Brown feels that way. I do think he could have learned a new offense, too, but so can others who are on board with the recruiting grind.

Fundamentalists have an almost pathological need to feel like they're being persecuted, and they invent it when there is none.

An authority of the state? He was a running backs coach.

His evangelizing wasn't crap. Overdone? perhaps. Depends on who you ask. But make no mistake that he made players better. The proof was on the field every Saturday.

• Fire 8

As for feeling like his religious beliefs made him unwanted, I'm not surprised Brown feels that way. I do think he could have learned a new offense, too, but so can others who are on board with the recruiting grind.

His evangelizing wasn't crap. Overdone? perhaps. Depends on who you ask. But make no mistake that he made players better. The proof was on the field every Saturday.

This.

• Fire 2

Link for those who've missed it: http://www.stationcaster.com/player_skinned.php?s=111&c=981&f=3892713

Brown wants to "attack political correctness at all these public schools". Attracted to landscape at Youngstown because Jim Tressel, president, is Christian. Big emphasis on being allowed to practice publicly.

Here's the thing, though. Is that not allowed? There's a difference between not being allowed and not being able to use the university's name and resources to do it. A public university can't and shouldn't officially promote one religion, but it also can't deny him his right to practice it -- which he has almost always done here with no issue (i.e, all the very public postgame prayers, including the much-lauded Penn State one.)

I think this is good for Ron Brown, though. He wants to continue to do what he's done and this is a chance for him to do it with people he is comfortable with. On Bo, he simply says there's plenty of things he doesn't condone (including in himself). Goes out of his way to reinforce the idea that he's not about judging his coworkers or bosses, but seeking a place that will give him the opportunity to do what he wants. Respectfully disagree with his stance on "PC cowardice."

I wonder why he's never considered a private Christian university, though. Seems like that would be a very sensible marriage.

Who employed him? Was he not in a position of authority in his capacity as a coach? It's inappropriate for a person to use their position of authority to evangelize. It's not OK from a lowly bus driver for an elementary school, much less a teacher / coach.

• Fire 5

Didn't Brown interview for the Stanford job several years ago, but didn't get it partly because of his views on homosexuality? With Tressel as university president, and Browns new job title as associate head coach, maybe he sees this as his opportunity to become a head coach once Bo moves on.

"My whole thing was, I wanted to invest in being a really good position coach," he said. "I didn't care about coordinating and climbing the ladder. I wanted to leave room to do ministry while I coached a position and recruited a position."

This is the part that kind of stood out to me. It was never 100% about the program, and the Huskers. He always had a side-gig. You can't be successful as a recruiter if you are 110%. It's not for everyone, but no one will claim that RB was a great recruiter. This is a big part of the reason IMO.