Discussion of Ron Brown's Political/Religious Views - 2015 Edition

Link for those who've missed it: http://www.stationcaster.com/player_skinned.php?s=111&c=981&f=3892713

Brown wants to "attack political correctness at all these public schools". Attracted to landscape at Youngstown because Jim Tressel, president, is Christian. Big emphasis on being allowed to practice publicly.

Here's the thing, though. Is that not allowed? There's a difference between not being allowed and not being able to use the university's name and resources to do it. A public university can't and shouldn't officially promote one religion, but it also can't deny him his right to practice it -- which he has almost always done here with no issue (i.e, all the very public postgame prayers, including the much-lauded Penn State one.)

I think this is good for Ron Brown, though. He wants to continue to do what he's done and this is a chance for him to do it with people he is comfortable with. On Bo, he simply says there's plenty of things he doesn't condone (including in himself). Goes out of his way to reinforce the idea that he's not about judging his coworkers or bosses, but seeking a place that will give him the opportunity to do what he wants. Respectfully disagree with his stance on "PC cowardice."

I wonder why he's never considered a private Christian university, though. Seems like that would be a very sensible marriage.

I would argue that Ron Brown thinks he can reach more young men in a public university.

That interview reinforced my feelings about Brown. He's a good coach, but that sort of evangelizing crap isn't appropriate as an authority of the state. I'm glad he's gone, and I wish he'd been jettisoned by the university years ago.

As for feeling like his religious beliefs made him unwanted, I'm not surprised Brown feels that way. I do think he could have learned a new offense, too, but so can others who are on board with the recruiting grind.

Fundamentalists have an almost pathological need to feel like they're being persecuted, and they invent it when there is none.

An authority of the state? He was a running backs coach.

His evangelizing wasn't crap. Overdone? perhaps. Depends on who you ask. But make no mistake that he made players better. The proof was on the field every Saturday.

Who employed him? Was he not in a position of authority in his capacity as a coach? It's inappropriate for a person to use their position of authority to evangelize. It's not OK from a lowly bus driver for an elementary school, much less a teacher / coach.

I dare say that Ron Brown could have counseled the young men in his charge in a secular manner and you would have no problems with that but once he includes his faith, that's when the outrage begins.

That interview reinforced my feelings about Brown. He's a good coach, but that sort of evangelizing crap isn't appropriate as an authority of the state. I'm glad he's gone, and I wish he'd been jettisoned by the university years ago.

As for feeling like his religious beliefs made him unwanted, I'm not surprised Brown feels that way. I do think he could have learned a new offense, too, but so can others who are on board with the recruiting grind.

Fundamentalists have an almost pathological need to feel like they're being persecuted, and they invent it when there is none.

His evangelizing wasn't crap. Overdone? perhaps. Depends on who you ask. But make no mistake that he made players better. The proof was on the field every Saturday.

Who employed him? Was he not in a position of authority in his capacity as a coach? It's inappropriate for a person to use their position of authority to evangelize. It's not OK from a lowly bus driver for an elementary school, much less a teacher / coach.

I dare say that Ron Brown could have counseled the young men in his charge in a secular manner and you would have no problems with that but once he includes his faith, that's when the outrage begins.

Um... Yea, I think that's his point entirely.

• Fire 2

Take a minute and think - really think - about what you just said. He was employed by a secular institution that is a part of a secular state to instruct student athletes. Explain why I would have an issue with a person in that position instructing in a "secular manner?"

I would argue that Ron Brown thinks he can reach more young men in a public university.

I think you're spot on, Elf. Which is probably where the trouble comes from. Public universities can't be affiliated with any religion, so if a guy wants to run a program like they would at a private Christian school, or private Mormon school, or private Islam school or whatever, then they'll run into issues.

Largely though Ron has really not had issues, at least not that we know of publicly. He leads all those postgame prayers and nobody seems to have a problem with that (and it's also not unique to Ron Brown, right?). It doesn't get much more public than that and that is something that always seems to be applauded.

• Fire 1

Guys from Bo's staff fallowing him to YSU. Is it any different then Guys from Rileys staff coming to NU with him. NO but since they are fallowing Bo everyone has to hate it.

Man, it's pretty messed up those guys are just walking away from a field and not planting it or anything.....

I saw what you did there and almost gave you a +1.

Almost.

Don't want to encourage too much wordplay.

Take a minute and think - really think - about what you just said. He was employed by a secular institution that is a part of a secular state to instruct student athletes. Explain why I would have an issue with a person in that position instructing in a "secular manner?"

For some people, you cannot remove faith from their discourse, because their faith is at the very foundation of their being, and it informs everything they think, say and do. This tends to bother a lot of people, though.

For some people, you cannot remove faith from their discourse, because their faith is at the very foundation of their being, and it informs everything they think, say and do. This tends to bother a lot of people, though.

Especially when it isn't your faith. See: Islam

• Fire 5

I think you're spot on, Elf. Which is probably where the trouble comes from. Public universities can't be affiliated with any religion, so if a guy wants to run a program like they would at a private Christian school, or private Mormon school, or private Islam school or whatever, then they'll run into issues.

Largely though Ron has really not had issues, at least not that we know of publicly. He leads all those postgame prayers and nobody seems to have a problem with that (and it's also not unique to Ron Brown, right?). It doesn't get much more public than that and that is something that always seems to be applauded.

I think the problem is that gay marriage had become a public issue in Nebraska, and Ron Brown enlisted his fame as a Nebraska Cornhusker to draw attention to his views during some very public hearings.

It's his right, but a little awkward.

His views shouldn't be applauded either, given how much they share with previous generations that had equally strong opinions about who people like Ron Brown should be allowed to marry.

I think the problem is that gay marriage had become a public issue in Nebraska, and Ron Brown enlisted his fame as a Nebraska Cornhusker to draw attention to his views during some very public hearings.

His views shouldn't be applauded either, given how much they share with previous generations that had equally strong opinions about who people like Ron Brown should be allowed to marry.

He used his position at NU as well as the university's address as his own when speaking in a public forum against allowing LGBT people to have the discrimination protection.

And the people you describe don't belong in those positions.

I don't agree with that. I think you can be a person of God and people can know that you live your life by those guidelines and still do your job. When you start to let it affect the job you are doing or if you are keeping people from doing their job, then it becomes a problem.

I don't agree with that. I think you can be a person of God and people can know that you live your life by those guidelines and still do your job. When you start to let it affect the job you are doing or if you are keeping people from doing their job, then it becomes a problem.

If they're unable to compartmentalize, no. If they can't stop themselves from using their position to evangelize, they have no business in the position.

Listing his address as Memorial Stadium was not his right, and was in fact, a violation of University rules. By doing that, he made himself a representative of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln at that meeting. He's very lucky to have kept his job afterwards.

• Fire 1

Listing his address as Memorial Stadium was not his right, and was in fact, a violation of University rules. By doing that, he made himself a representative of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln at that meeting. He's very lucky to have kept his job afterwards.

Agree. Sort of. It would have been pretty ugly had they fired Ron Brown for that reason in that moment. Here's hoping things were explained and apologies made.

Not to pile on but......there's something about this kind of evangelical zeal that teeters between unselfish duty to a Higher Power and unseemly self-promotion.

We went through something similar here in the Bay Area, where Golden State Warriors coach, the Rev. Mark Jackson was fired after two very successful seasons.

Good news: the secular Steve Kerr is doing even better.