Kenny Bell on his career, the draft & Pelini audio

knapplc

Pretty good piece from Hail Varsity and Kenny Bell. I liked Bell's comments about Ameer.

Kenny Bell on his career, the draft & Pelini audio

Each week we highlight Hail Varsity Radio’s top interviews with show hosts Chris Schmidt, David Gustafson and Mark Kraynak. This week’s Radio Rewind is with Kenny Bell, currently training for the NFL Combine in Dallas.

HV: It’s different for everybody, but was there a moment at Nebraska you remember when you “grew up?”

KB: It’s hard to say in specific moments. I think for a lot of guy that get there when they’re young, their mind and their heart is all over the place. It takes time to develop a culture and to develop a relationship within a team and within the coaching staff. That’s something that Bo (Pelini) and all the coaches I was thankful to play under did an awesome job with; they developed a culture of hard work and dedication to that hard work, and dedicating your day to not counting the days, but making the days count, if that makes sense. I think that work ethic and that attitude definitely spread onto me and that’s how I approach every day here.

• Fire 2

Great interview by a great Husker. I wish every recruiting class had a couple of Kenny Bells. :thumbs:

I am really concerned about replacing Bell's production next year. Yeah, he was a knucklehead at times off the field, but he produced on the field.

I think we'll see Westerkamp and El take over where Bell left off without missing a step. I also see both of them surpassing what Kenny did here at NU.

Great interview by a great Husker. I wish every recruiting class had a couple of Kenny Bells. :thumbs:

I am really concerned about replacing Bell's production next year. Yeah, he was a knucklehead at times off the field, but he produced on the field.

I think we'll see Westerkamp and El take over where Bell left off without missing a step. I also see both of them surpassing what Kenny did here at NU.

I think you are assuming a lot. Bell put up huge numbers. Yeah, he was the #1 target most of his career, but there is a reason why he was the #1 target. The guy had speed and did a great job of getting open.

• Fire 3

Here are the numbers those two will have to average for the remainder of their Husker careers to match Kenny Bell:

Westy -- 830 yards / 59 receptions

Pierson-El -- 790 yards / 53 receptions

Westy has already asserted himself as a feature in the passing game, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him make a run at it, especially in a pass heavier offense. As for DPE it'll depend on if he's ready to be that #1/2 guy starting next year, something I think is more in doubt. It definitely won't be easy to beat Kenny's record.

Zoog, I think Westy should have no problem, you throw him the ball he catches it and gets the extra yards. El will have a new coach and will be right behind Westy in most of the games in my opinion. I think we have coaches who will also teach these kids and that will go a long way. I hate to say it but Bell had quite a bit of the WTF moments. Some games he showed up, others hampered with an injury he was just kind of just out there. Westy and El playing 100% I do believe they can surpass Kenny. Nothing against him mind you, I just see these 2 kids as being special.

Westerkamp can credit a lot of his catches to Bell getting more attention. As the season went on and defenses began to see the big numbers westy was putting up, he was rarely heard from in the capacity he was early on. Kenny really did have a special talent for getting open.

+ 1 I am sure someone will mention the drops that seemed to "plague" Bell in his career, but the guy was targeted so often, he wasn't going to catch everything. I think he made up for some of his drops with some ridiculous catches and big plays during his career.

Westerkamp can credit a lot of his catches to Bell getting more attention. As the season went on and defenses began to see the big numbers westy was putting up, he was rarely heard from in the capacity he was early on. Kenny really did have a special talent for getting open.

As Knapple said, better QB play. How many times did we see Westy running wide open and TA locking on to one receiver (Bell)? Westy would have had quite a few more catches(as would Bell) had we seen TA make progressions, instead it was 1 WR and he was stared down nearly 90% of the time.