Top 50 NFL Draft Busts: Where Are They Now?

http://www.lostlettermen.com/slideshow/4-16-2012-top-50-nfl-draft-busts-where-are-they-now/

23. Kelly Stouffer, Colorado State, QB (No. 6 overall, 1987): Stouffer sat out his entire rookie season and then started just 16 games over four years. He currently resides on a farm in Rushville, NE.

No. 10
1x1.jpg

10. Jerry Tagge, Nebraska, QB (No. 11 overall, 1972): Tagge threw 17 interceptions in 18 games in just three seasons with Green Bay. He now works as a financial advisor in Omaha, NE.

2. Lawrence Phillips, Nebraska, RB (No 6. overall, 1996): After a shortened career due to major character issues, Phillips was arrested and eventually sentenced to 31 years in prison for domestic violence and assault with his car in a bizarre incident in which he tried to run over kids after a pickup football game in Los Angeles in 2005.

Agreed, LP was a basket case and an incredible waste of talent. But what is the criteria for "top draft bust"?

How does Dan McGwire (selected 16th) only come in at #38 when he never had a single start in the NFL?
or that piece of crap Todd Blackledge drafted 7th and never starting a full season (and sucking when he did start),

or Jack Thompson picked 3rd and never getting off the bench,

or David Klingler drafted 6th and going 4-20 as a starter???

and what about Art Schlichter? Going 4th overall and sucking and then ending up in prison? C'mon. How is that not worse than LP?

Phillips end up at #2 on this list when he was leading the NFC in rushing yards when he was suspended by the Rams?
I realize the fact that someone who was doing so well, became an incredible disappointment....but a draft bust?

Isn't a bust someone who is expected to be a great player and ends up sucking? LP didn't suck. He just couldn't keep his head together.

also, hate to be that paranoid "the media is out to get us" Husker fan...but I love that this guy was able to get two Huskers into his top 10.

• Fire 4

Agreed, LP was a basket case and an incredible waste of talent. But what is the criteria for "top draft bust"?

How does Dan McGwire (selected 16th) only come in at #38 when he never had a single start in the NFL?

or that piece of crap Todd Blackledge drafted 7th and never starting a full season (and sucking when he did start),

and what about Art Schlichter? Going 4th overall and sucking and then ending up in prison? C'mon. How is that not worse than LP?

Phillips end up at #2 on this list when he was leading the NFC in rushing yards when he was suspended by the Rams?

I realize the fact that someone who was doing so well, became an incredible disappointment....but a draft bust?

Isn't a bust someone who is expected to be a great player and ends up sucking? LP didn't suck. He just couldn't keep his head together.

also, hate to be that paranoid "the media is out to get us" Husker fan...but I love that this guy was able to get two Huskers into his top 10.

Yeah, if LP is the #2 draft bust then maybe we should put Ray Lewis at #1. Lewis and a couple pals murdered two guys. While Phillips only chased some kids around a park in his car. But I guess since Lewis had better lawyers he gets a pass, and goes on to be known as one of the all time NFL greats instead of a draft bust.

I'd say a draft bust is someone who enters the NFL and the expectations are that the player will do well (in some cases, its an expectation of instant superstar status) but for whatever reasons, he just doesn't pan out. In Phillips case it had nothing to do with his play on the field and its pretty obvious he didn't pan out....

I think Phillips might have made #2 simply because of what a HUGE talent he was. Wasn't it Dick Vermeil who said Phillips was the greatest back he ever coached? If Phillips hadn't been his own worst enemy the record books would likely show he was the greatest of all time.

Yeah, if LP is the #2 draft bust then maybe we should put Ray Lewis at #1. Lewis and a couple pals murdered two guys. While Phillips only chased some kids around a park in his car. But I guess since Lewis had better lawyers he gets a pass, and goes on to be known as one of the all time NFL greats instead of a draft bust.

What do you think Phillips was trying to do while he was chasing those kids in his car? The man is a lunatic,

What do you think Phillips was trying to do while he was chasing those kids in his car? The man is a lunatic,

I don't think anyone is arguing that point. But what would you say about the off-field actions of Ray Lewis? How does chasing kids around in a park compare to murdering two guys?

I was thinking the same thing (except for the Husker paranoia). I'm also certain he wasn't leading the NFC in rushing when he was suspended by the Rams because he had 633 yards in 10 games while that was the year Barry Sanders went over 2000. LP also only averaged a little over 3 yards a carry so he wasn't doing all that well.

Anyway, Phillips belongs somewhere on the list, because he was a high draft pick who didn't come close to have the career that a high first rounder should have, and has only himself to blame (not due to injuries, like KiJana Carter). But a lot of guys lower on that list were drafted as high and rarely even saw the field. How is a guy who actually started 20 games #2 on the list?

K6CebjN.jpg

I don't think anyone is arguing that point. But what would you say about the off-field actions of Ray Lewis? How does chasing kids around in a park compare to murdering two guys?

Ray Lewis should be in prison. I thought that was so obvious it didn't need to be said.

What do you think Phillips was trying to do? You think it was just some new form of tag he was trying to play with those kids? I believe he was trying to run them over and possibly kill them. Phillips is where he belongs. Lewis should be his cell mate.