Deflate-gate

GSG

Jay Glazer @JayGlazer 3m3 minutes ago

Breaking news: sources tell @FOXSports the NFL has zeroed in on a locker room attendant w Patriots who ... http://m.tmi.me/1eXHpm

JayGlazer
@JayGlazer

Breaking news: sources tell @FOXSports the NFL has zeroed in on a locker room attendant w Patriots who allegedly took balls from officials locker room to another area on way to field. Sources say they have interviewed him and additionally have video. Still gauging if any wrong doing occurred with him but he is strong person of interest

Edited by Mavric
Split topic off. Title sucks, sorry.

Fox Sports' Jay Glazer reported Monday afternoon that the league has identified a New England locker room attendant who moved the footballs used in the AFC Championship Game from the referees' locker room to a different area before they made it onto the field. The footballs are inspected by the officials two hours and 15 minutes before kickoff in their locker room. Here is Glazer's full report:

Breaking news: sources tell @FOXSports the NFL has zeroed in on a locker room attendant w Patriots who allegedly took balls from officials locker room to another area on way to field. Sources say they have interviewed him and additionally have video. Still gauging if any wrong doing occurred with him but he is strong person of interest
One would assume the locker room attendant possibly removed air from the balls in that other location. If there is video of the person doing that, it could be damning evidence. The question now, of course, is whether coach Bill Belichick, quarterback Tom Brady or anyone else within the Patriots organization with the power to do so asked for the balls to be deflated.

Link

Because I'm sure a staffer would be randomly deflating footballs without someone higher up requesting it.

Another reason why I thought this could be it's own topic: I ran across this article last night. Obviously nothing concrete, but it sure seems odd. Especially with how they go through RBs. There's a lot in there but it's pretty interesting.

The 2014 Patriots were just the 3rd team in the last 25 years to never have lost a fumble at home! The biggest difference between the Patriots and the other 2 teams who did it was that New England ran between 150 and 200 MORE plays this year than those teams did in the years they had zero home fumbles, making the Patriots stand alone in this unique statistic.

Based on the desire to incorporate full season data (not just home games, as a team theoretically bring “doctored footballs” with them on the road) I performed the following analysis:

I looked at the last 5 years of data (since 2010) and examined TOTAL FUMBLES in all games (as well as fumbles/game) but more importantly, TOTAL OFFENSIVE PLAYS RUN. Thus, we can to determine average PLAYS per FUMBLE, a much more valuable statistic. The results are displayed in the chart below. Keep in mind, this is for all games since 2010, regardless of indoors, outdoors, weather, site, etc. EVERYTHING.

One can CLEARLY SEE the Patriots, visually, are off the chart. There is no other team even close to being near to their rate of 187 offensive plays (passes+rushes+sacks) per fumble. The league average is 105 plays/fumble. Most teams are within 21 plays of that number.

Fumble-Chart-1.png

NEW-Fumble-Chart-3.png

• 3 weeks later...

• 2 months later...