Question for prior Marines

My youngest son is leaving for Boot Camp on 9 Feb. How does graduation and all that work? I'm retired AF and my oldest son graduated AF basic three years ago so I'm very familiar with their graduation, but I have no clue about the Marine Corp. I know AF Basic Military Training has a FB page with a ton of information on it about the Airman's Run and Graduation but I haven't been able to find anything like that for the Marines and trying to get information from him is like pulling teeth.

The day before his graduation day is called Family Day. The graduating company goes on a moto run, where you'll get to watch them run and do cadences and such. After the run, there's about an hour of break and then they march down to the theatre and have liberty call. That's the first time you'll get to talk to him. Liberty lasts about five or six hours, I think. The new Marines go back to their barracks for the night after that. The next day is graduation day. It starts around eleven and takes about an hour. After the ceremony is over, he's officially done with boot camp and can start his ten days of leave.

Thanks! It sounds like it's similar to the AF Basic. The trainee's who are graduating do an Airman' Run, then return later for the coin ceremony. At the conclusion of that ceremony, they're released for the day but have to remain on base and return to the barracks that evening. The next day is graduation.

What are the protocols during those events? In AF Basic Training, once the trainee's are released, they're not allowed to move or leave formation until they're "tapped out" meaning, a friend or family member has to touch them first before they can fall out of formation. Does MCRD have something similar?

No, that's not how it works in the Marine Corps. Whether it's for Family Day liberty or for graduation, once their senior drill instructor dismisses the platoon, they're free to move as they wish. I would definitely recommend doing your best to get to your son quickly, though. There will be thousands of people there and it's pretty overwhelming after having not socialized for three months.

No, that's not how it works in the Marine Corps. Whether it's for Family Day liberty or for graduation, once their senior drill instructor dismisses the platoon, they're free to move as they wish. I would definitely recommend doing your best to get to your son quickly, though. There will be thousands of people there and it's pretty overwhelming after having not socialized for three months.

I can understand that.

Try and get a picture of your new Marine with his DI's on the side. He will appreciate that down the road. As far as family day and graduation, it won't be all that much different than the Airforce graduation except for maybe military protocol. Be sure to walk on his left side and don't give a bunch of gift's or what not he would have to carry around.

Congratulations on bringing up some fine men!

Try and get a picture of your new Marine with his DI's on the side. He will appreciate that down the road. As far as family day and graduation, it won't be all that much different than the Airforce graduation except for maybe military protocol. Be sure to walk on his left side and don't give a bunch of gift's or what not he would have to carry around.

Congratulations on bringing up some fine men!

I don't know about the only walking on the left thing. I graduated three years ago and they didn't have us do anything about people walking around us. The only thing we really had to watch out for was that we couldn't hold hands with anybody. You had to hold arms, instead.