Baylor Stepping Up Their Recruiting Game

... even recruiting restaurants. Or not.

Recruiting is about so much more than just playing time. It's about convincing an 18-year-old kid that your campus and its surroundings are fun place to spend the next four years. That can mean promising an In-N-Out when there's no actual In-N-Out on the way.

At left is a poster that was spotted at a recruiting event at Baylor over the weekend. Cooked up by the athletic department, it promises a bunch of really exciting new store openings in Waco, plus an Omni hotel (the kids love the Omni, apparently). When the picture got around, Baylor students and Wacoites got really excited—they've been clamoring for some of these for years! But the Waco Tribune has fact-checked the poster, and it's more wishful thinking than anything else.

fh1lbiyyq0qenoaylcfp.jpg

Deadspin

• Fire 1

I live in Frisco Texas, the best restaurants to eat period are in Dallas/Plano/Frisco.. Waco Texas is ugly,boring and fails in comparison to Dallas, comparing Dallas to Waco is like comparing a Ferrari to a 20 year old Honda with 300.000 miles. I do not understand how local schools near me like Southern Methodist University, University of North Texas can not figure out how to build a program similar to that of Baylor. Texas Christian University is the only school in my area that seems to care about having a good football program. Dallas/Fort worth in North Texas is one of the best areas in the country to live in and certainly is the best area in Texas. I can not rap my mind around the inability of these schools in North Texas to not be to recruit elite talent that is in their backyard. The schools in my area win the 5A & 6A state championships every year and are always ranked in the Top 5 nationally. How do you fail to attract recruits and local talent when you have everything you need and then some? The job market in Dallas is ranked #3 in the Country, there is a large population of hot women, the City is a lot of fun and their are a lot of fun things to do. Maybe the Coaches suck? Maybe the schools are being greedy with their endless pockets of money and do not want to upgrade their facilities? This is not a recruiting tool but I thought that I would share the 1,million square foot Nebraska Furniture Mart of Texas is almost open in the Colony Texas, 5 miles or so down the road from my house, I am very excited and I hope that Nebraska Furniture Mart curb stomps the Ikea down the road. The Dallas Cowboys new training Facility is going to open up a couple miles away from my house in 2016 so I think that is pretty sweet too. I really would like Nebraska to hit this area hard in North Texas and really recruit and grab a big chunk of this talent. I really think that Devine Ozigbo from Sachse Texas is going to be a great player and I think that he really flew under the radar. I would hate to see turds like Boise state swoop in and get players like Devine Ozigibo, I think that the kid is going to be a gem. I live 30 minutes North of Sachse Texas on a day with no traffic and it is pretty exciting to me to see Nebraska get players from the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex.

I live in Frisco Texas, the best restaurants to eat period are in Dallas/Plano/Frisco.. Waco Texas is ugly,boring and fails in comparison to Dallas, comparing Dallas to Waco is like comparing a Ferrari to a 20 year old Honda with 300.000 miles. I do not understand how local schools near me like Southern Methodist University, University of North Texas can not figure out how to build a program similar to that of Baylor. Texas Christian University is the only school in my area that seems to care about having a good football program. Dallas/Fort worth in North Texas is one of the best areas in the country to live in and certainly is the best area in Texas. I can not rap my mind around the inability of these schools in North Texas to not be to recruit elite talent that is in their backyard. The schools in my area win the 5A & 6A state championships every year and are always ranked in the Top 5 nationally. How do you fail to attract recruits and local talent when you have everything you need and then some? The job market in Dallas is ranked #3 in the Country, there is a large population of hot women, the City is a lot of fun and their are a lot of fun things to do. Maybe the Coaches suck? Maybe the schools are being greedy with their endless pockets of money and do not want to upgrade their facilities? This is not a recruiting tool but I thought that I would share the 1,million square foot Nebraska Furniture Mart of Texas is almost open in the Colony Texas, 5 miles or so down the road from my house, I am very excited and I hope that Nebraska Furniture Mart curb stomps the Ikea down the road. The Dallas Cowboys new training Facility is going to open up a couple miles away from my house in 2016 so I think that is pretty sweet too. I really would like Nebraska to hit this area hard in North Texas and really recruit and grab a big chunk of this talent. I really think that Devine Ozigbo from Sachse Texas is going to be a great player and I think that he really flew under the radar. I would hate to see turds like Boise state swoop in and get players like Devine Ozigibo, I think that the kid is going to be a gem. I live 30 minutes North of Sachse Texas on a day with no traffic and it is pretty exciting to me to see Nebraska get players from the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex.

I agree. I went to see the Allen Eagles play in a semi-final game on the way to win the 6A Title. It was at the Mean Green's stadium. The game had 3-4 4 star players and 5-7 3 star. I don't get it either. Even though we are in the B1G I'd love to see more of a focus on Texas. Even these 6 man football teams in Texas have amazing players. My son got to play Throckmorton which was an amazing team full of talent. :-)

I agree. I went to see the Allen Eagles play in a semi-final game on the way to win the 6A Title. It was at the Mean Green's stadium. The game had 3-4 4 star players and 5-7 3 star. I don't get it either. Even though we are in the B1G I'd love to see more of a focus on Texas. Even these 6 man football teams in Texas have amazing players. My son got to play Throckmorton which was an amazing team full of talent. :-)
Riley said we will have 3 coaches assigned to Texas. Will hit it hard.

... even recruiting restaurants. Or not.

Recruiting is about so much more than just playing time. It's about convincing an 18-year-old kid that your campus and its surroundings are fun place to spend the next four years. That can mean promising an In-N-Out when there's no actual In-N-Out on the way.

At left is a poster that was spotted at a recruiting event at Baylor over the weekend. Cooked up by the athletic department, it promises a bunch of really exciting new store openings in Waco, plus an Omni hotel (the kids love the Omni, apparently). When the picture got around, Baylor students and Wacoites got really excited—they've been clamoring for some of these for years! But the Waco Tribune has fact-checked the poster, and it's more wishful thinking than anything else.

Deadspin

Wacoites? Hmm, is it that difficult to type "locals"?