State of the Board

I respect the challenge of keeping a board like this moving and know that some of the criticism is very unwarranted.

I dont really have a dog in the fight.... but fully respect the idea if someone was being harassed via PM's that actions need to be taken. You dont owe us specifics, but also it does seem like a cop out to just say "It was something i cant tell you about"... I dont know the whole story, so I have to just believe what you say.

My question is the banning after the 3 were originally banned. It seems almost like a board cleansing of people who are negative.

I respect what you and the other Mods/Admins do to make this place a special/fun place, but also think that making such a massive move like that can sink a board many of us love.

I know we wont get actual answers, but just hope things can be worked out. I also hope that some people learn there lesson to stop taking shots at some members on this board.

Here is hoping things get back to normal.

• Fire 1

1. So you're banning people based on Private Messages? I'd recommend changing the name of them. That whole 'private' thing could throw people.
  2. It's extremely hard to take a post seriously when it's signed with your handle.

Sincerely,

Killer Cacti

P.S. Pretty disappointed with a lot of good posters being banned at once. I will probably be spending a lot less time on the boards.

• Fire 3

My question is the banning after the 3 were originally banned. It seems almost like a board cleansing of people who are negative.

It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't position. If we do nothing and someone gets hurt, we're blamed and asked why we weren't more responsible. If we try to get out in front of it and be proactive, then we are being henchman.

Cyber Bullying is a serious thing and ultimately if something were to happen who is liable? Will anyone here pay the bills, take the time to go to court, and possible have your personal reputation dragged through the mud over a football message board?

• Fire 4

It's pretty easy to not get banned here. Just be nice. If everyone was nice and civil to each other, we would have very little problems and very few people getting banned. These guys obvious weren't civil towards some members, therefore, they were punished.

Thanks for the feedback. Believe me, the overwhelming majority are very civil.

• Fire 1

• So you're banning people based on Private Messages? I'd recommend changing the name of them. That whole 'private' thing could throw people.
  • It's extremely hard to take a post seriously when it's signed with your handle.
Sincerely,

Killer Cacti

P.S. Pretty disappointed with a lot of good posters being banned at once. I will probably be spending a lot less time on the boards.

If someone left voicemails or letters filled with threats, would you not take them to the police and try to get a restraining order? The receiver of those PM's revealed them to the admins, not the admins going NSA, at least that's how i read it. Yes, it sucks that some very good posters got banned, but they must have crossed the line one, or a few, too many times. Oh well, life goes on.
  • Fire 3

The first three were after discussions with an admin via PM. The investigation within the PM system was what led to some of the later ones, or so's my understanding.

I respect what you and the other Mods/Admins do to make this place a special/fun place, but also think that making such a massive move like that can sink a board many of us love.

I know we all feel this way, but nobody wanted there to be a massive move. One of the bans was a member that had been involved in many issues over the course of a long period. During most of that, Eric himself had been adamant in arguing for him to stay.

The rest of them pretty much stunk, that they were ever necessary. Of these some were very visibly determined to leave, and others, well, if we're even anywhere close to dealing with threats, I'd say there's just not much choice left either.

I know we wont get actual answers, but just hope things can be worked out. I also hope that some people learn there lesson to stop taking shots at some members on this board.

Here is hoping things get back to normal.

Definitely. :thumbs

It's pretty easy to not get banned here. Just be nice. If everyone was nice and civil to each other, we would have very little problems and very few people getting banned.

Thanks jsneb. I tell this to people all the time if it gets to a point where I have to talk to them about their conduct here. It is super easy to never even get close to walking the line! I'm always thankful that we have so many people who fit that description exactly. I mean, at a sports forum with a rabid fanbase? Come on! That's what makes this (in my experience) a pretty special place.