Riley Set for 2016 by Avoiding 'Biggest Mistake' in 2015

McKewon: Riley sets up big 2016 class by avoiding 'biggest mistake'

Perhaps it seems odd to flip the calendar ahead one year and not take stock in the class Nebraska just landed. We’ll do the latter in a few paragraphs. But the 2016 class — the “regime change” class as I like to call it — is Riley’s best chance to upgrade the talent and tailor the roster toward his vision with a big haul of coveted prospects. Riley is hip to that, too; he said Nebraska was already on day three of conversations for next year.

A prediction: The 2016 class will be at least as good as Bo Pelini’s best class — the 2013 group — and probably rival the 2005 and 2007 Bill Callahan classes, which were 30 and 27 signees, respectively. Given the size of Nebraska’s 2015 senior class (20 scholarship players), and the attrition that typically hits hard any team that changes coaches, the 2016 class should go north of 25 players. Perhaps nearing 30.

Edited by Mavric
I agree with zoogs. Good article.
  • Fire 1

I'm still not a big numbers guy. To me it's more quality over quantity. Bo's first class ('08) was pretty large too. But it wasnt much as far as numerous difference makers go. Then you look at his 2012 class when we got Rose and Gregory and Valentine, etc, and though is was 18 final i think? It was regarded as top ten strictly from a talent basis. So if Riley can close on that many in higher caliber talent, things are gonna get real interesting around here in terms of what kind of momentum recruiting generates.