KFAB loses radio broadcast rights to Husker games

knapplc

Journal Broadcast Group and IMG announce new radio home of the Huskers in Omaha

The new five-year Omaha affiliate agreement with KXSP-AM (590), KKCD-FM (105.9), and KEZO-FM (92.3) will provide better coverage for Huskers sports through a strong AM signal on an all-sports format radio station and additional new FM affiliates. The contract with Nebraska's current Omaha affiliate, KFAB-AM, expires on June 30, 2015. When the switch to new affiliates is made on July 1, current IMG audio broadcast talent will transition to the new stations.

The Huskers' new Omaha radio lineup:

Football: All games on KXSP-AM and KEZO-FM

Men's basketball: All games on KXSP-AM

Women's basketball: All games on KXSP-AM; in case of a conflict with another Husker event, broadcast moves to KKCD-FM

Volleyball: All games on KXSP-AM, in case of a conflict with another Husker event, broadcast moves to KKCD-FM

Baseball: All games on KXSP-AM, in case of a conflict with another Husker event, broadcast moves to KKCD-FM

Sports Nightly: All shows on KXSP-AM Monday - Thursday 6 - 9 p.m. and Friday 6-8 p.m.

How weird is it going to be to listen to Husker Football on Z92?

Todd & Tyler are going to be rolling over in their graves over this. They're not exactly huge Husker fans. :D

• Fire 1

Journal Broadcast Group and IMG announce new radio home of the Huskers in Omaha

The new five-year Omaha affiliate agreement with KXSP-AM (590), KKCD-FM (105.9), and KEZO-FM (92.3) will provide better coverage for Huskers sports through a strong AM signal on an all-sports format radio station and additional new FM affiliates. The contract with Nebraska's current Omaha affiliate, KFAB-AM, expires on June 30, 2015. When the switch to new affiliates is made on July 1, current IMG audio broadcast talent will transition to the new stations.

The Huskers' new Omaha radio lineup:

Football: All games on KXSP-AM and KEZO-FM

Men's basketball: All games on KXSP-AM

Women's basketball: All games on KXSP-AM; in case of a conflict with another Husker event, broadcast moves to KKCD-FM

Volleyball: All games on KXSP-AM, in case of a conflict with another Husker event, broadcast moves to KKCD-FM

Baseball: All games on KXSP-AM, in case of a conflict with another Husker event, broadcast moves to KKCD-FM

Sports Nightly: All shows on KXSP-AM Monday - Thursday 6 - 9 p.m. and Friday 6-8 p.m.

How weird is it going to be to listen to Husker Football on Z92?

Todd & Tyler are going to be rolling over in their graves over this. They're not exactly huge Husker fans. :D

This is true. This is most true.

Wow! End of an era.

Not really, there was a time when the Huskers were on KKAR.

When it comes to football, with every game televised, this is not a big deal (other than an FM simulcast), but for the other sports, this is a great move. 590 will air ALL baseball games, including Friday games, and the reach of 590's signal is bigger than that of KFAB's. The only time I ever listen to a Husker football game is in the car and good luck getting KFAB in Des Moines after dark, 590's signal booms in day AND night.

It will be different not having Nebraska games on KFAB considering the fact of how long those two entities have been involved with each other. In this Omaha World Herald report: http://www.omaha.com/huskers/huskers-switch-omaha-radio-affiliate-from-kfab-to-kxsp/article_07685be8-b141-11e4-bd4d-b3d2492e6d3d.html

KFAB had broadcast Cornhusker football for 71 years until 1996, when it lost the rights to Pinnacle, which moved the games to radio station KKAR in Omaha. KFAB announced on Nov. 24, 2000, that Cornhusker football would return to KFAB in August 2001.

Ultimately, (and no pun intended here) this is a signal to KFAB that they have to boost the reach of their overall radio signal, especially at night. There is no question that at the present time 590AM has a much wider reach during all times of the day than what KFAB has.

I think in the future Nebraska games will return to KFAB like they did in 2001, but the onus is on KFAB now to make that happen.

Wow! End of an era.

Not really, there was a time when the Huskers were on KKAR.

When it comes to football, with every game televised, this is not a big deal (other than an FM simulcast), but for the other sports, this is a great move. 590 will air ALL baseball games, including Friday games, and the reach of 590's signal is bigger than that of KFAB's. The only time I ever listen to a Husker football game is in the car and good luck getting KFAB in Des Moines after dark, 590's signal booms in day AND night.

KFAB still had pre and post game shows when KKAR carried the games. Maybe they still will.

It will be different not having Nebraska games on KFAB considering the fact of how long those two entities have been involved with each other. In this Omaha World Herald report: http://www.omaha.com/huskers/huskers-switch-omaha-radio-affiliate-from-kfab-to-kxsp/article_07685be8-b141-11e4-bd4d-b3d2492e6d3d.html

KFAB had broadcast Cornhusker football for 71 years until 1996, when it lost the rights to Pinnacle, which moved the games to radio station KKAR in Omaha. KFAB announced on Nov. 24, 2000, that Cornhusker football would return to KFAB in August 2001.

Ultimately, (and no pun intended here) this is a signal to KFAB that they have to boost the reach of their overall radio signal, especially at night. There is no question that at the present time 590AM has a much wider reach during all times of the day than what KFAB has.

I think in the future Nebraska games will return to KFAB like they did in 2001, but the onus is on KFAB now to make that happen.

Its also a warning to all partners that history alone is not going to assure you of a continuing contract. Osborne seemed to take history into account when he was making some of these decisions (like Adidas) Its good to see that going forward the best offers will win and not just nostalgia.

This makes me sad. I remember the first time they did this and it was awful. Does anyone know if they will keep the same broadcasters? Matt Davidson does such a great job. I like turning the commentators on tv off and turning KFAB on to listen to their play-by-play. I hope they continue to do their pre- and post- game shows. Wow.

I am happy that we will be able to listen to more Husker sports in general, but Husker football? Wow. It won't be the same for me. :(