Riley Picks Osborne's Brain

Mavric

The Blackshirts: Riley wanted to know how Osborne and former defensive coordinator Charlie McBride handed out the black practice jerseys typically given to NU's defensive starters. It became, well, a total mess under Bo Pelini, who usually handed them out during the season until 2013, when he handed them out before the season to a handful of players, then took them away after a month of games because the defense couldn't have played any worse. It became a reward instead of an identity.

"The one thing I'll try to copy that (Osborne and McBride) did is when they issue them it was midway in fall camp," Riley said. "That sounds good to me. To do it any sooner than that would be phony from our staff."

Recruiting: Riley outlined Nebraska's recruiting plan to Osborne — an emphasis on the 500-mile radius with additional areas of recruiting around the nation — and asked him to "be blunt" about its makeup.

"It sounded to me like that's how they did it," Riley said.

Offensive philosophy: Riley said he knows wind and weather can be a factor in the Midwest; he coached at Winnipeg in the Canadian Football League and built his team "around our grass field, the wind and the weather we had."

"He thought it was important that a team run the ball," Riley said of Osborne. "If you're a team that has to count on throwing 60 times per game, some games that might be difficult."

OWH

Ermagerd. He asked Tom Osborne how to do things!!!

Kermit-lotion-gif-masturbation-1247742.g

Dude! that's the best post I think you've ever made. I almost feel like its me in that GIF.

Thanks for the laugh man. +1,000,000

All we need now is for teach to chime in about seamen. :lol:

[sic]

And on the last of those topics — what offensive style Osborne thought necessary to succeed at NU — the College Football Hall of Famer probably didn’t tell Riley anything surprising.

“He said he thought it was important that a team run the ball,” Riley said. “Because if you’re a team that has to count on throwing 60 times a game, some games that might be difficult, is what he said. And I get that.”
Riley has spent this winter at a crossroads of sorts, a veteran head coach accustomed to a certain offensive style settling in at a place best known for years and years of running the football — and with a dual-threat quarterback as a returning starter.
That has led Riley to stay open-minded as Nebraska prepares an offensive plan for the start of spring practice next Saturday, especially when it comes to a quarterback run game that he never really had at Oregon State.

OWH

Osborne suggested to Riley that he be able to effectively run the ball. I guess Osborne saw Riley's team ranked #113 in rushing offense last season.

Riley's plenty capable of calling for a legitimate rushing attack.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFQtyljn_a4

Seriously folks. This underselling of Riley's ability to utilize a running game has to stop. Go back through all his years at Oregon St instead of just overreacting to the past few years when he had just good qb and receiver talent. This is a guy who has a tremendous track record of tailoring an offense to his personell.

• Fire 2

Osborne suggested to Riley that he be able to effectively run the ball. I guess Osborne saw Riley's team ranked #113 in rushing offense last season.

Riley's plenty capable of calling for a legitimate rushing attack.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFQtyljn_a4

Seriously folks. This underselling of Riley's ability to utilize a running game has to stop. Go back through all his years at Oregon St instead of just overreacting to the past few years when he had just good qb and receiver talent. This is a guy who has a tremendous track record of tailoring an offense to his personell.

Look who you are responding to. He is going to be underselling everything Riley does or says even though he hasn't even coached a practice yet.

• Fire 2

Look who you are responding to. He is going to be underselling everything Riley does or says even though he hasn't even coached a practice yet.

This is not Riley's first game as a head coach. He's been coaching for decades and doesn't have an impressive resume.

In order to use the word "tremendous" to describe Riley's track record.....for his years of coaching the college game.......shouldn't there be maybe one conference championship in there somewhere to deserve use of the word "tremendous"?

In order to use the word "tremendous" to describe Riley's track record.....for his years of coaching the college game.......shouldn't there be maybe one conference championship in there somewhere to deserve use of the word "tremendous"?
He wasn't talking about his overall body of work, but more to the fact that he actually knows how to tailor an offense around what kind of talent he has. Something the previous staff did not do too well.

He wasn't talking about his overall body of work, but more to the fact that he actually knows how to tailor an offense around what kind of talent he has. Something the previous staff did not do too well.

I understand. But the overblown credit Riley gets for his ability to utilize his personnel has not translated to the on the field success we are allegedly looking for at Nebraska. When does proper utilization of talent lead to 3-9 records?

Few things before I continue in this discussion:

1. He has way more talent here at Nebraska than he ever did at Oregon State. Believe it or not there are harder places to recruit talent to than Lincoln.

2. Resources here outweigh anything he ever had, I would venture to say even more than San Diego.

3. Just because a coach doesn't succeed at one job doesn't mean he won't at his next gig. Sabah didn't set the world on fire at Michigan State. But look what he does with better talent.

4. This isn't his first HC job, so he's not cutting his teeth an learning on the fly like Bo and his gang of misfits had to do.

These of course are only my opinions.

• Fire 5