A look at Mike Riley's offense

papersun87

Yeah, great article and post!

It cool to see a little bit of what going to happen. I like the set up for shots for the speed at wr. Those throws and reads in the intermediate game with flood concept fit the most qbs well.

TA with play action fits him because his ability to run and get outside. It' is more respectable for defense to drop a safety. Then take the shot from under center, whole team in on PA sell, next Pierson El hitting the hash mark on the side where the safety used to be. Bam! I got you!

Move the pocket a bit. Get TA on a rollout with receivers crossing, TE's on short outs or curls. Tommy has easy throws, multiple options, and can pull it down and keep it if the defenders don't respect his running ability.

I also like the idea of short drops and more timing in the offense. There wasn't enough of this previously. I think Tommy would strive if we mixed in more of these quick throws.

Most of all, this game is about matchups and exposing mismatches. It's about understanding your personnel and finding ways to put them in optimal positions to expose the weaknesses of the defense. You hear plenty about that in this article. Riley and Langsdorf will utilize some of the excellent talent we have on this roster, no doubt about it.

Move the pocket a bit. Get TA on a rollout with receivers crossing, TE's on short outs or curls. Tommy has easy throws, multiple options, and can pull it down and keep it if the defenders don't respect his running ability.

I also like the idea of short drops and more timing in the offense. There wasn't enough of this previously. I think Tommy would strive if we mixed in more of these quick throws.

Most of all, this game is about matchups and exposing mismatches. It's about understanding your personnel and finding ways to put them in optimal positions to expose the weaknesses of the defense. You hear plenty about that in this article. Riley and Langsdorf will utilize some of the excellent talent we have on this roster, no doubt about it.

It might be because of the branching freedom that our receivers had under Beck, but the quick throws have been Tommy's obvious achilles heel so far. Most of his interceptions have come on quick slants/5 yard routes that he threw to a spot but that spot was right where the defender was.

• Fire 1

It might be because of the branching freedom that our receivers had under Beck, but the quick throws have been Tommy's obvious achilles heel so far. Most of his interceptions have come on quick slants/5 yard routes that he threw to a spot but that spot was right where the defender was.

Yea. I don't disagree.

I think things will be different moving forward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5ezbj2GDbI

They'd be crazy not to utilize his running ability too though, right? Curious to see if they design or call plays specifically for Tommy.

I would think they will...I would think you will see lots and lots of bootlegs...cut the field in half...run/pass option. The only thing more annoying than seeing a good bootleg once per game...is seeing it 10 times a game.

I think TA played very hesitant. He was a far better run his first year. I think the coaches told him to not get hurt and it effected him. As for his passing skills, well, it needs a lot of work. With that said, I just don't see how Stanton don't get a fair shot. MR recruited him, so he must believe he has the skills to run "his" offense. He could make the transition to MR's scheme come faster.