By Jon Johnston  @CornNation on Feb 27, 2015, 12:00p
Gone:
Jake Cotton, Mark Pelini, Mike Moudy
Experienced Returners:
Ryne Reeves, Chongo Kondolo, Givens Price, Alex Lewis, Matt Finnin, Zach Sterup
Paul Thurston, Dylan Utter
Depth:
David Knevel, Nick Gates, Tanner Farmer, Jerald Foster, Zach Hannon
Cole Conrad, Ryan Freudenberg, Sam Hahn, Dwayne Johnson Jr., Chris Long, Robby Painter, Corey Whitaker
Recruits:
Tackle: Christian Gaylord
Guards: Jalin Barnett, Michael Decker

LINK

Pretty good overview of the big guys. :thumbs:

• Fire 1

With Lewis and Sterup coming back it seems like we're pretty much set at tackle. Even got a fair amount of depth at tackle. But the three interior line spots, not so much. Mike Cavanaugh has a bit of work to do at center and both guard positions.

Really hope we aren't seeing Sterup starting again....

I don't want to rule him out, but he needs a lot of work. His feet and overall movement were just way too slow to be playing the edge. In the new offensive system, Sterup may have a bit more success because he will be blocking more inside zone than stretch zone and outside runs, but still, that footwork was hard to watch. Seemed like the guy was having a hell of a time even getting around out there.

I don't want to rule him out, but he needs a lot of work. His feet and overall movement were just way too slow to be playing the edge. In the new offensive system, Sterup may have a bit more success because he will be blocking more inside zone than stretch zone and outside runs, but still, that footwork was hard to watch. Seemed like the guy was having a hell of a time even getting around out there.

Sterup has plenty of competition for that starting spot. Matt Finnin, Givens Price, David Knevel. Hard to say who the starter will be come September. With the new coaching staff I'd say the slate is clean. It won't matter how many games the returning starters have under their belt.

Sterup has plenty of competition for that starting spot. Matt Finnin, Givens Price, David Knevel. Hard to say who the starter will be come September. With the new coaching staff I'd say the slate is clean. It won't matter how many games the returning starters have under their belt.

I thought Price looked better at guard, hopefully he moves back inside

I agree with Price at guard. I also trust this staff a bit more than the last as far as ability to evaluate skills and utilize talent.

I really hope more than anything that this staff finds a true leader and dominator at Center. When is the last time Nebraska just had a real badass out there at Center, or more importanty a guy that made all the calls and put everyone in the right position? The center has to be a smart guy. Seems like we need that more than anything just to establish some consistency and trust between the front five. Too many missed assignments and too much confusion up front in recent history.

Is Ryne Reeves the guy at Center ya think?

I'd say it's really probabale. I think it says a lot when Reeves came off the bench and the television announcers were quickly discussing how impressive he looked out there. Maybe a bit more work in the offseason, and most importantly a healthy offseason, and he really solidifies that spot.

Is Ryne Reeves the guy at Center ya think?

I'd say it's really probabale. I think it says a lot when Reeves came off the bench and the television announcers were quickly discussing how impressive he looked out there. Maybe a bit more work in the offseason, and most importantly a healthy offseason, and he really solidifies that spot.

I would think its Reeves job to lose. But he's hurt again which has kind of been the story of his career. Hopefully he can get healthy.

Don't be kicking Sterup too hard. He was hurt before fall practice was over and missed 2 games early. I don't think he ever healed up and was hurt again later in the season. He had surgery to clean out one knee after the Iowa game which turned into much more after the Drs looked inside. One or two hurt knees will make a person seem slow. I'm hoping for a solid senior season.

Be nice to Barney. ;)

How do we not have one of the nation's best lines every year, my God. Just look at some of those guys and their skills/size out of high school.

I know, I know, barney cotton.

no thanks, him and his kids had an 8 year free lunch... good riddance.. I cant wait to see that OL thrive under a coach that can teach..