Staff Balancing More than Football

When Mike Riley met with some Journal Star reporters on Friday, he noted he was on a bit of a hot streak. It was his fourth straight day waking up in Lincoln.

"Pretty good," Riley said with a grin.
Pretty good, because as you can imagine, Riley's initial duties as Nebraska head coach have often required him to be everywhere but in the town he's now coaching.
Whether it was recruiting responsibilities or alumni functions in other states, Riley calculated that in his first 75 days on the job, he was in Lincoln on just 30 of those.
When in Lincoln, he's been staying at Embassy Suites. That's still home base for him.
"Good people there," Riley said. "And it's pretty simple because I like walking in the morning. It's 10 minutes. I can handle that."
Defensive backs coach Brian Stewart, who just arrived to Lincoln last Sunday, is also staying at the hotel.
It offers a reminder that while we focus on all the football/recruiting stuff a new staff must get done in a short period of time, they are balancing all that while trying to find new homes and work out schedules to move their families.
A coach like Stewart is catching up on learning the defensive terminology, his recruiting assignments and getting to know his players while also, most importantly, being a husband and dad.

LJS

• Fire 1

I know they make a lot of money but I would hate the football coach's life.

this is corporate/management life too my friend........experienced by many.

Maybe for some. I've worked for small and very large companies and I didn't find the norm to be changing jobs, being fired...etc. every few years and moving your family constantly.

Then, put on top of that, those job firings or moves many times are dependent on decisions of 17 or 18 year old kids and fickle fans.

Maybe for some. I've worked for small and very large companies and I didn't find the norm to be changing jobs, being fired...etc. every few years and moving your family constantly.

Then, put on top of that, those job firings or moves many times are dependent on decisions of 17 or 18 year old kids and fickle fans.

That would be because technically, the 17-18 year old kids do your work, and the fans pay the bills. It's that simple. The players are your employees and the fans are the clientel. If they dont do the work, and the fans dont pay, youre dun.

That would be because technically, the 17-18 year old kids do your work, and the fans pay the bills. It's that simple. The players are your employees and the fans are the clientel. If they dont do the work, and the fans dont pay, youre dun.

What did I say that disagrees with that? I just made some comment that I would not like the coaching lifestyle of constantly changing jobs and cities I live in.

Nothing more...nothing less. I'm not asking for anyone to agree with me or disagree with me.

To each their own.

Have a great day.

What did I say that disagrees with that? I just made some comment that I would not like the coaching lifestyle of constantly changing jobs and cities I live in.

Nothing more...nothing less. I'm not asking for anyone to agree with me or disagree with me.

To each their own.

Have a great day.

Jesus. All I did was elaborate, in total agreement with you.

For a second i almost forgot why I dont spend sh#t for time here anymore.