Mike Riley's 2010 team

Records can be misleading. Riley finished the 2010 season (at OSU) with a 5-7 record.

However, half the teams he faced were ranked and all but one were in the top ten: #6 TCU (L 21-30), #3 BSU (L 24-37), #9 Arizona (W 24-21), #20 USC (W 36-7), #7 Stanford (L 0-38), #1 Oregon (L 20-37)

about those teams: TCU went undefeated beat wisconsin in the orange bowl, BSU beat VT (who went undefeated in the ACC), USC had the #1 recruiting class that year and Riley gave them their only blowout loss aside from #1 oregon, stanford is pretty much unstoppable w/ Andrew Luck, and oregon went to the national championship

they had the #7 SoS

other info: beat louisville coached by charlie strong 35-28, beat ASU w/ dennis erickson 28-31, only allowed 7 points from a Cal team w/ andy ludwig as OC (the former wisconsin OC that hung 59 on NU last season)

some of their games:

(
)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cFZy2zNwvI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbSqDdxzdNQ #1 oregon 37 OSU 20

USC 7 OSU 36

washington D vs OSU Offense (OSU lost in double OT 34-35)

Offense highlights of jacquizz & james rodgers #9 AZ 27 OSU 29

blowout loss to stanford
  • Fire 7

Using Ken Massey's computer rankings, that take into account scores and SOS, Oregon State was ranked 30th that year with a 5-7 record. We were ranked 26th with a 10-4 record.

Over the last 7 years Nebraska had an average ranking of 25.3 and Oregon State was 41.1. So we were better during that time but not by that much. Oregon State is the same level of job that Iowa State is.

I'm excited to see what Riley can do with the resources we have.

People who arent excited about the Riley hire will say these stats dont matter. I say good research.

We have yet to know what kind of coach he will be here. But the fact he consistently competed with some of the best teams in the nation is evident here. Hanging with great teams and beating them too are certainly traits we have lacked for some time.

It's encouraging to see that Riley, with the scant resources of Oregon St, could play competitive ball against some of the same coaches who've blown us out of the water. Given that Riley did more with less at Oregon St, it'll be fun to see what he does with the increased resources of NU. :thumbs:

I would be surprised if Riley wins more than 9 games this year. I am looking to forward to seeing just what he can really do, with the resources he now has. Year 3 will be the tell all I think, when "his" recruits will be on the field starting. jmoGBR!!!

9 wins is kind of the staple around here, it should be expected. Honestly even for a first year coach the schedule sets up for 9 do-able games with most of the tough ones being in Lincoln.

I expect a big jump by next year if we win 9-10 this year. The whole reason we canned Bo other than his rivalry with the administration was because he couldnt get us over the hump. With an experienced guy like Riley we shouldnt have to wait that long for that increase in production.

The standard is 9-10 wins. The expectation is a conference title. The national leeway is roughly 3 years for a coach to make that jump. If a coach stalemates or regresses after 3 seasons they find themselves moving on.

I dont think we have that problem with Riley. He has no problem changing things that dont work and it seems like we should see a quick improvement.

And how is this an indicator of how Nebraska will do under Riley in year one, or two, or even three at NU?

Sigh.

I always love these types of posts. Extra information that may help us understand what our new coach brings to the table. Then it immediately gets bashed because someones in a mood.

Sigh indeed.

Not bashing just being real. I have a lot of optimism for MR and crew but the stats from this year do not lead me to be optimistic. They lost to Wash St. by 17 at home and to a Wahington that we pounded 56-21 (Yes we lost to Wash in the rematch but we didnt show up).

The point of it is that more times than not Riley was competing at a high level with a team that shouldnt be.

Meanwhile Bo was NOT competing with teams we should have been not to mention losing to teams we should have been beating.

Say whatever you want about Oregon State and the success he had. Apologize for his failings. Fine. Maybe that all makes sense.

But he's at Nebraska now. And if starts throwing 30 plus times per game, I have no faith that we will be able to win right away. None.

I read everything about his schemes and what not... and I am left with one feeling... burn it. That's right, at least two seasons, burn them both.

Maybe we can aim for 10 wins in 2017. Maybe.