Hail Varsity Spring Preview - Quarterbacks

awb_2014_12_27_nebraska-vs-usc2742-2-105

Admittedly this is involves a lot of assumptions from one picture. But to me it's a good example of why I don't think TA will ever be consistent enough of a passer to get us over the top. He doesn't appear to be under much pressure (even if he is, I've seen this way to often when he isn't). But his mechanics are all out of whack. His hips are way open so he is forcing himself to rely totally on his arm to get the pass there. That lead to inaccurate throws, especially high throws.

TA throws a very good deep ball because he HAS to step into the throw to get it downfield. On short throws or when he's under pressure, he loses his legs and has accuracy trouble. This isn't lack of coaching, it's a habit built from years of having such a strong arm that he could (in high school) muscle the ball where he wanted it to go. Hopefully it can be improved but it's an uphill climb at this point.

• Fire 3

Admittedly this is involves a lot of assumptions from one picture. But to me it's a good example of why I don't think TA will ever be consistent enough of a passer to get us over the top. He doesn't appear to be under much pressure (even if he is, I've seen this way to often when he isn't). But his mechanics are all out of whack. His hips are way open so he is forcing himself to rely totally on his arm to get the pass there. That lead to inaccurate throws, especially high throws.

TA throws a very good deep ball because he HAS to step into the throw to get it downfield. On short throws or when he's under pressure, he loses his legs and has accuracy trouble. This isn't lack of coaching, it's a habit built from years of having such a strong arm that he could (in high school) muscle the ball where he wanted it to go. Hopefully it can be improved but it's an uphill climb at this point.

no coaching in high school or college.......he's just raw!

no coaching in high school or college.......he's just raw! imagine Beck watching this sh#t form every week and ignoring it.......criminal, that's for sure.

or maybe he was ok with it??

I won't disagree with you Mavric.

That pic looks a lot like a picture of Taylor Martinez a few years ago that I discussed at great length. A basic process in throwing the football at any level is stepping into the throw. In that picture, those don't look like the mechanics of any QB that is going to throw with precision or power. If Tommy is muscling the throw with all arm strength, then he's not passing like a true QB. QB's use their core and their feet to direct a pass.

Now, I have seen Tommy look very comfortable out there in the past. I've seen Tommy step into throws and make some pretty damn good ones really. It's these lapses that bother me. The overall regression in his game last season was troubling, even as a big time supporter of Armstrong's, I haven't denied it a bit.

My question is why? Why would a QB completely go backwards in almost all areas in his second season of significant playing time?

Personally, I think his coaches had a good part in why Tommy didn't seem comfortable or "natural" out there anymore. Too many other things going on for the kid to go out the and "just play the game" like he should have been able to.

That pic looks a lot like a picture of Taylor Martinez a few years ago that I discussed at great length. A basic process in throwing the football at any level is stepping into the throw. In that picture, those don't look like the mechanics of any QB that is going to throw with precision or power. If Tommy is muscling the throw with all arm strength, then he's not passing like a true QB. QB's use their core and their feet to direct a pass.

Now, I have seen Tommy look very comfortable out there in the past. I've seen Tommy step into throws and make some pretty damn good ones really. It's these lapses that bother me. The overall regression in his game last season was troubling, even as a big time supporter of Armstrong's, I haven't denied it a bit.

My question is why? Why would a QB completely go backwards in almost all areas in his second season of significant playing time?

Personally, I think his coaches had a good part in why Tommy didn't seem comfortable or "natural" out there anymore. Too many other things going on for the kid to go out the and "just play the game" like he should have been able to.

Agreed. I think one possibility would go back the jack of all trades, master of none, philosophy the coaches had. I think he was constantly trying to be perfect in every aspect of the game so much that it hurt the rest of his game and may have caused the regression. Much like myself when I golf (or try to anyways).

• Fire 1

I still like the all-white look :woo (except the times we play at Iowa, at Penn State, at Michigan)

It's such a clean look (well, until grass stains muck it up lol)!

I'm rooting for an improved TA, but not expecting him to really become something great.

I agree that he doesn't do it all the time. I even said so in that post. I've always said he has all the tools. The problem is I question whether he can do it CONSISTENTLY enough to get us to the next level.

But you are wrong that he went backwards in his second year. These have been issues since Day 1. I had a long discussion about it here after the Illinois game two years ago which was his second start.

I agree that he doesn't do it all the time. I even said so in that post. I've always said he has all the tools. The problem is I question whether he can do it CONSISTENTLY enough to get us to the next level.

But you are wrong that he went backwards in his second year. These have been issues since Day 1. I had a long discussion about it here after the Illinois game two years ago which was his second start.

No, I'm not wrong, you simply disagree with my evaluation and that's fine. I don't see how you could possibly see it any other way, but I'm more than aware that two people can watch the exact same thing and come away with opposite opinions.

To me it was clear. When Tommy first came into that starting role, it was unexpected. When Taylor got hurt tommy was pretty much thrown into that role. Yet, he seemed to be fairly calm and comfortable looking out there, even in a situation like that. I think he was limited in what he could execute as far as the playbook so the coaxhes took it slow and worked some stuff in gradually.

Last year, there's not a doubt in my mind they threw the book at him. Beck tried to do it all. In Becks world, doing it all is doing far too much. I think Tommy was overwhelmed at times and it showed. He didn't look nearly as comfortable out there to me. Looked like he was trying too hard to do far too much at times. Of course, there were a lot of factors there.

I hope Tommy finds a new level of comfort and confidence in the new offense. I don't expect these coaches to force Tommy to be something he is not. They've said multiple times they will establish the players strengths and utilize their talents. Build their offense around what they've got, not what they wish they had. I believe they'll stick to their word.

No, I'm not wrong, you simply disagree with my evaluation and that's fine. I don't see how you could possibly see it any other way, but I'm more than aware that two people can watch the exact same thing and come away with opposite opinions.

To me it was clear. When Tommy first came into that starting role, it was unexpected. When Taylor got hurt tommy was pretty much thrown into that role. Yet, he seemed to be fairly calm and comfortable looking out there, even in a situation like that. I think he was limited in what he could execute as far as the playbook so the coaxhes took it slow and worked some stuff in gradually.

Last year, there's not a doubt in my mind they threw the book at him. Beck tried to do it all. In Becks world, doing it all is doing far too much. I think Tommy was overwhelmed at times and it showed. He didn't look nearly as comfortable out there to me. Looked like he was trying too hard to do far too much at times. Of course, there were a lot of factors there.

I hope Tommy finds a new level of comfort and confidence in the new offense. I don't expect these coaches to force Tommy to be something he is not. They've said multiple times they will establish the players strengths and utilize their talents. Build their offense around what they've got, not what they wish they had. I believe they'll stick to their word.

That sounds great, but what if Tommy goes down? Does it totally screw our offense like we have seen in the past?

That sounds great, but what if Tommy goes down? Does it totally screw our offense like we have seen in the past?

First of all, the discussion between you about why TA looked different last year compared to his first year, I believe, is tied directly to the fact that in his first year he was sharing time with another QB that would be brought in if he was struggling. And...yes...I'm sure he was trying to run more of the playbook last year than the first year. That first year, I think he was more comfortable playing because he knew not all the weight of the team was on him. He had a partner in the QB position. If one struggles the other one came in..etc.

I think that is pretty natural especially if he is getting questionable QB coaching that most of us suspect he was. A new position coach that is much better at what he is doing and more experienced should help that situation.

As for as if Tommy goes down??? What's different? The guys in the system supposedly have the same skill sets as him. I don't see the play book being tailored so much to TA that one of them couldn't come in and be productive.

I don't think Tommy looked overwhelmed at all last year. He was a monster against lesser teams, and got thwarted against better teams, but he always looked up to the task.

In every game where fans - including myself - started looking longingly to the sidelines and Ryker Fyfe, Tommy dug down and showed why he is the starter. I don't think his self-confidence was shaken at all, and I think he understood the playbook perfectly.

He needs to get better or someone else might start this year. But he's a gamer and a leader, in need of a few mechanical tweaks.

• Fire 1

tom-brady-2.jpgawb_2014_12_27_nebraska-vs-usc2742.jpg

Yeah. Awful form. He'll never make it as a QB.

:lol:

Ha ha! Okay, okay, I am NOT comparing Tommy's passing form to Tom Brady. I'm just implying that you can't read too much into one photo.