Defensive Ends - Help Wanted

I agree. I thought McMullen came on strong the last few games. So much so that I have been eager to see how he does. I think he will be a pretty good rush end for the blackshirts. I mean, with Collins/Valentine next to him, I think he will have a big year.

I would think McMullen would have one spot locked down. But then there's this:

Either he's just messing around or some sort of rush package. Because we don't need fewer guys here.

I think they're speaking to his size. He's big enough to slide inside. Maybe too big to drop off in coverage of any sort.

That said, McMullen did so well at DE last year I can't see moving him from there.

Either he's just messing around or some sort of rush package. Because we don't need fewer guys here.

I think they're speaking to his size. He's big enough to slide inside. Maybe too big to drop off in coverage of any sort.

That said, McMullen did so well at DE last year I can't see moving him from there.

Move Mcmullen down to a DT in a glorified 3-4 look with Newby coming off the edge-or some other linebacker-like was supposed to be utilized more last year with Valentine and Colins the other down guys. I could see this as a possibility. It's been said Collins has legit DE caliber first step so he could play a base end as well in a pass situation.

https://twitter.com/HuskerExtraSip/status/574317602098581505

Move Mcmullen down to a DT in a glorified 3-4 look with Newby coming off the edge-or some other linebacker-like was supposed to be utilized more last year with Valentine and Colins the other down guys. I could see this as a possibility. It's been said Collins has legit DE caliber first step so he could play a base end as well in a pass situation.

Good point about Collins moving to the edge. I forgot about that possibility, but it would be effective and allow our other DLs more chances.

i would say we need to stop the run before we worry about the pass rush off the end.....

Dude. Really?

It's spring. Wait on this comment once we have proven to be a porus run def. Especially with a new staff.

yes really! our run D has been gashed for 2 freaking years! whereubeen? i don't expect Riley to rub someone's ass and we suddenly are instantly better.

Wisconsin, Minnesota and others have crushed us right through the middle.....simple gut plays have gashed us repeatedly......just sayin' we need to fix this before we worry about a damn pass rush off the end.

I put this in the Spring Practice thread, but may as well put it here too:

Both Stoltenberg and Newell were practicing at DT as of the last practice. They were are DE all fall as far as I know.

I know this was the plan from the old staff to move Newell inside, but surprised a little that Stoltenberg is making that move. DE is definitely more a position of need than DT.

I put this in the Spring Practice thread, but may as well put it here too:

Both Stoltenberg and Newell were practicing at DT as of the last practice. They were are DE all fall as far as I know.

I know this was the plan from the old staff to move Newell inside, but surprised a little that Stoltenberg is making that move. DE is definitely more a position of need than DT.

Yeah, Newell was always recruited as a DT. But he played DE or basically OLB in HS so they started him at DE last year while we were figuring out what kind of depth we had there.

• 3 weeks later...