Rookie Borland retires

HUSKER 37

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/12496480/san-francisco-49ers-linebacker-chris-borland-retires-head-injury-concerns

BERKELEY, Calif. -- San Francisco 49ers linebacker Chris Borland, one of the NFL's top rookies the past season, told "Outside the Lines" on Monday that he is retiring because of concerns about the long-term effects of repetitive head trauma.

Borland, 24, said he notified the 49ers on Friday. He said he made his decision after consulting with family members, concussion researchers, friends and current and former teammates, as well as studying what is known about the relationship between football and neurodegenerative disease.

"I just honestly want to do what's best for my health," Borland told "Outside the Lines." "From what I've researched and what I've experienced, I don't think it's worth the risk."

More from ESPN.com

gutierrez_paul_m.jpgInstead of replacing Patrick Willis as a starting LB, Chris Borland is following Willis into early retirement, a stunning decision that leaves the 49ers with a huge void, Paul Gutierrez writes. Story

Borland becomes the most

• Fire 1

So,how much money did he make for one year? And still has a college degree to fall back on.Very smart move.

This morning they said he made $1 million. Not bad but definitely not the huge sum they dream of when thinking of playing in the NFL. He'll need to use his education.

It would be a nice retirement fund.

So,how much money did he make for one year? And still has a college degree to fall back on.Very smart move.

This morning they said he made $1 million. Not bad but definitely not the huge sum they dream of when thinking of playing in the NFL. He'll need to use his education.

Still would take most people 20+ years to make that. As long as he didn't splurge, he should have plenty of time to get into whatever he wants.

Still would take most people 20+ years to make that. As long as he didn't splurge, he should have plenty of time to get into whatever he wants.

Oh, I agree. It's a nice paycheck for one year. But, it's not anywhere close to what he could have ended up with if he decided to stick it out for a long successful career.

After taxes, he probably ended up with around $600,000 - $700,000.

Buy a house with $200,000 to $300,000. He has a few hundred thousand left over for savings and he doesn't have a house payment. If he ends up with a decent career in something that pays well, he's set up to start life pretty nicely.

But, he needs to be smart about it and actually get a career doing something else. Hopefully he wasn't one of these athletes that didn't think he needed an education and he actually went to class.

But, he needs to be smart about it and actually get a career doing something else. Hopefully he wasn't one of these athletes that didn't think he needed an education and he actually went to class.

Actually he could move to Madison and open up a bar called "Borland's Bar" and hire a manager or open some franchise or car dealership. Going to class would help, but not neccessary. All he needs is his name on the business.

Actually he could move to Madison and open up a bar called "Borland's Bar" and hire a manager or open some franchise or car dealership. Going to class would help, but not neccessary. All he needs is his name on the business.

There are a lot of those places that have gone flat broke with much bigger names than his.

• 5 weeks later...