Hittin' the links: Golf talk

How's everyone's game looking? Any chance to practice?

My tournament season officially starts next week.

Ha! last time I played I woke up slightly inebriated with 5 hours of sleep at 7:30. Let's just say my game was crap until the 9th hole, then we had to go to the spring game. But I think were going to play Yankee Hill this weekend, so I best step it up.

Our intercity club matches start next week, Kansas City Cup. You play each other group in the Pod home and away. Sixteen teams (10 Pod winners, 6 wild cards) will advance to the playoffs at the end of the summer.

Teams have 16 players for each Round and play the following Matches:

• Open Singles Match played at scratch.
  • Senior Singles Match played at scratch.
  • One Chapman Alternate Shot Match played at scratch.
  • One Professional/Amateur Four-Ball Match played at scratch.
  • One Senior Four-Ball Match played with handicaps.
  • Two Four-Ball Matches played with handicaps.
  • One Senior/Open Four-Ball Match played at scratch.
  • One Open Four-Ball Match played at scratch.

For the first match next week, I was asked to play in the Chapman Alternate Shot Match. I have never played this format, so I'm in for a treat. It is odd.

Format:

Both players on a team hit tee shots, and then play second shots using their partner’s tee shot location.

After both players second shots, the team must select one ball location from which to complete the hole, using alternate shot format.

If Player “A” last hit the selected ball, player “B” shall play first in the alternation.

Alternate shot continues until the ball is holed out.

How's everyone's game looking? Any chance to practice?

I'm still on the mend from a slipped disc. So I haven't been taking very many full swings yet. But I felt pretty good yesterday, the the weather was gorgeous, so I hit a bucket of balls over lunch. I mostly hit my driver, and also a few balls with my 3-wood and fairway wood. Very erratic. I was getting good distance, but with no control at all. I did have a handful of nice drives with a decent amount of draw on them. But for the most part I was all over the place. Some pushed to the right, with a fair number of snap hooks mixed in. No discernible pattern to my misses. If I had been playing I would've hit about 25% of the fairways—not including the adjacent fairways I would have hit into. :lol:

I haven't really spent much time hitting my irons yet. The two driving ranges available to me are both still hitting off carpets. I just don't think it helps much to hit irons off of carpet. (In a month or so they'll start letting us hit off of grass.)

As for my short game, I'm not where I want to be. (Are we ever?) But I feel like I'm making progress. I seem to be able to get up and down more regularly. And my lag putting has improved somewhat in just the last month or so.

Also, I took a wedge clinic last week at the club where I play. The guy had some good tips. I definitely need to keep working on my short approach shots.

I've played more this spring than I ever have but, it's all been by myself working on my game and not really keeping score.

I'm hitting the ball decent. Driving the ball as well as I e er have and I'm very comfortable from 120 yards in.

Where I'm still struggling is from 200 to 120 in.

I'm trying to hit down in the ball more and that seems to work well with my short irons but not so much with the long irons.

Been working on putting the past several days. I have a drill (game?) for myself to keep it from getting boring. The practice green has nine holes, spread around 15 to 25 feet apart. I take two balls and try to "play" all holes on the practice green in par or under with both balls—par being a score of two: one lag and one putt. I often end up at around +3 for both balls (+1.5 each). I hope to improve to the point where I can regularly "play" the practice green under par. If I do I'll lengthen my course by skipping around and putting to farther holes rather than to the next hole away.

Also, I picked up a new (old) putter on eBay. Just got it yesterday. It's a Bobby Grace mallet with copper insets. It's new old stock that apparently was sitting in a proshop back room. So not worn at all.

mLZ1AzaoZTP6bWLZZH3Dh3g.jpgmQ5pte39oLtcQzTOkwcfN5w.jpg

Is it just the photographs, or is the face curved?!?

Ha ha! Just the photo. Flat face.

It probly appears curved because the bottom edge is not straight, as seen in the pic on the left.

Is it just the photographs, or is the face curved?!?

Ha ha! Just the photo. Flat face.

It probly appears curved because the bottom edge is not straight, as seen in the pic on the left.

I was going to say, you're making this game harder than it needs to be. Hahah.