South Alabama game

Thanks for the replies! I think we're going to skip golf and just hang around Lincoln Friday. Closer to kick, I'll come back and get your thoughts on food, drink and tailgating.

Definitely tailgate, you will drink all the booze you could ever need on a football Saturday and get it for free

Hey guys just wanted to drop by and say hello. Me and some others will be coming up for the USA game and we can't wait. I graduated from Alabama and have traveled to some fun places to watch the Tide but Lincoln has always been at the top of my bucket list. Growing up and living in Mobile I cheer for South Alabama and when they scheduled you guys it was a no brainer to road trip to Lincoln. Hopefully we can keep it close for a quarter or so.

I have a few questions for you. Closer to game I'll come back and get some specific questions answered.

We're staying at the Cornhusker Marriott. Is this hotel a good spot for walking to the bars/stadium/campus? Also, do the Nebraska players stay here?

Other than the Embassy Sweets it's probably the best location you can have for walking to the stadium and partaking in the night life. The last two years the Huskers players have stayed at the Cornhusker, but there's no guarantee they'll be there this year. The Haymarket/Railyard have a lot of good bars for the recent grad and older crowd, as well as some great places to eat. In the Haymarket Lazlo's is always a go to for great food and some good brews, McFarland & Son's has some amazing Irish food, and McKenney's across the street is a great pub to have fun in. If you're looking to party you can't go wrong in the Railyard; 4 or 5 bars with an open courtyard area you can drink in and a giant TV screen. They've also got a places to eat and some shops/snack places on the lower level. O street is more the college bar seen, the drinks are cheaper than the Railyard but the crowd is younger too.

We arrive late Thursday. Is there anything worth seeing outside Lincoln on Friday or should we spend the day touring campus, town, capital, etc?

Unless you like corn, cows, and soy beans there's really not that much interesting to see outside of Lincoln. Basically between here and Omaha there's an outlet mall and the SAC museum, which is cool if you like fighter planes and rockets but it's more of something to do with kids. I'd check out the campus, and the trophy room and the Gameday experience inside north stadium. Just walk into the doors on the north west corner near the Brook Berringer #18 Statue, you'll see all the bowl and championship trophies, and you'll also get a view of the weight room. They should have a room where there's a video presentation that shows off the tunnel walk and the Heisman trophies.

The Capitol is kinda cool too, I think they have free tours so you can learn a bit more about all the art work going on inside. If you ever get lost anywhere just ask someone for help, most people are kind enough to point you in the right direction.

Which golf course would you recommend? We aren't the best golfers but would like something nice preferably in or very close to Lincoln.

As far as ones that are close to where you'll be; the two best public course would be Pioneers and Highlands. Both around a 10 minute drive from the Cornhusker and playable for all levels of experience. Pioneers can get busy, but it's beautiful course overlooking the country side and the park. If you're lucky you can see some Bison off in the distance on 11 and 12. Highlands is another great choice, it's next to the airport (which isn't really that busy) but you can see the country side for miles past that. There's no real shelter so it can get windy, and the roughs tend to have tall prairie grass so you could be losing some balls, but the rolling terrain is a nice challenge. The other two city courses, Holmes and Mahoney, are about a 15 to 20 minute drive. While they don't have the view of the previous two they're much more forgiving with wide fairways and more manicured roughs. There are also plenty of clubs courses that are open to the public. Although I don't believe Firethorn that NUance mention is open to the public anymore.

Welcome to the board and good luck on your trip! Let us know how it was.

I have lived here for over 30 years and ZRod has it right. If you can stay at the Embassy Suites. You will be right where the action will be!

Woodland Hills is also a great course near Lincoln. I think it's more fun that playing Quarry Oaks.

Great thinking...Woodland is very nice and way more friendly!

Plus, their on-course beers are relatively cheap!!!

Who buys beer at the course? The whole reason I carry a staff bag is because it will hold a case.

Hey guys just wanted to drop by and say hello. Me and some others will be coming up for the USA game and we can't wait. I graduated from Alabama and have traveled to some fun places to watch the Tide but Lincoln has always been at the top of my bucket list. Growing up and living in Mobile I cheer for South Alabama and when they scheduled you guys it was a no brainer to road trip to Lincoln. Hopefully we can keep it close for a quarter or so.

I have a few questions for you. Closer to game I'll come back and get some specific questions answered.

We're staying at the Cornhusker Marriott. Is this hotel a good spot for walking to the bars/stadium/campus? Also, do the Nebraska players stay here?

Other than the Embassy Sweets it's probably the best location you can have for walking to the stadium and partaking in the night life. The last two years the Huskers players have stayed at the Cornhusker, but there's no guarantee they'll be there this year. The Haymarket/Railyard have a lot of good bars for the recent grad and older crowd, as well as some great places to eat. In the Haymarket Lazlo's is always a go to for great food and some good brews, McFarland & Son's has some amazing Irish food, and McKenney's across the street is a great pub to have fun in. If you're looking to party you can't go wrong in the Railyard; 4 or 5 bars with an open courtyard area you can drink in and a giant TV screen. They've also got a places to eat and some shops/snack places on the lower level. O street is more the college bar seen, the drinks are cheaper than the Railyard but the crowd is younger too.

We arrive late Thursday. Is there anything worth seeing outside Lincoln on Friday or should we spend the day touring campus, town, capital, etc?

Unless you like corn, cows, and soy beans there's really not that much interesting to see outside of Lincoln. Basically between here and Omaha there's an outlet mall and the SAC museum, which is cool if you like fighter planes and rockets but it's more of something to do with kids. I'd check out the campus, and the trophy room and the Gameday experience inside north stadium. Just walk into the doors on the north west corner near the Brook Berringer #18 Statue, you'll see all the bowl and championship trophies, and you'll also get a view of the weight room. They should have a room where there's a video presentation that shows off the tunnel walk and the Heisman trophies.

The Capitol is kinda cool too, I think they have free tours so you can learn a bit more about all the art work going on inside. If you ever get lost anywhere just ask someone for help, most people are kind enough to point you in the right direction.

Which golf course would you recommend? We aren't the best golfers but would like something nice preferably in or very close to Lincoln.

As far as ones that are close to where you'll be; the two best public course would be Pioneers and Highlands. Both around a 10 minute drive from the Cornhusker and playable for all levels of experience. Pioneers can get busy, but it's beautiful course overlooking the country side and the park. If you're lucky you can see some Bison off in the distance on 11 and 12. Highlands is another great choice, it's next to the airport (which isn't really that busy) but you can see the country side for miles past that. There's no real shelter so it can get windy, and the roughs tend to have tall prairie grass so you could be losing some balls, but the rolling terrain is a nice challenge. The other two city courses, Holmes and Mahoney, are about a 15 to 20 minute drive. While they don't have the view of the previous two they're much more forgiving with wide fairways and more manicured roughs. There are also plenty of clubs courses that are open to the public. Although I don't believe Firethorn that NUance mention is open to the public anymore.

Welcome to the board and good luck on your trip! Let us know how it was.

I have lived here for over 30 years and ZRod has it right. If you can stay at the Embassy Suites. You will be right where the action will be!

I agree with this! Embassy is a blast on game days and you can walk to everything.

Welcome USA Jags! Lots of great suggestions so far. My wife is from Grand Bay and I lived in the Mobile area for 8 years. Downtown Lincoln is the polar opposite of downtown Mobile. The only similarity may be O Street and Dauphin Street. You will have a lot of fun and you will feel/be safe. Enjoy!

• Fire 1
  • 4 weeks later...

The zoo in Omaha would be the thing to see outside of Lincoln. It's one of the better ones in the country.

We have foreign worker rxvhsnge program and I actually said the same thing. They quickly corrected me and said, "It is one of the best world wide.". They had been to Londons zoo and said Omaha dwarfed it.