SIGNED (2015) PG Bakari Evelyn

Cant say i am overly thrilled at this.. but heck i could be wrong.

Apparently his story is similar to Kevin Dillmans(Football recruit). He was playing small time Michigan basketball and transferred to a school in Arizona to get more national exposure... apparently something happened and he wasnt able to play varsity.. I think he transferred again and got to play some.

Before that, he was getting some love from high level programs.

Might be a diamond in the rough.. decent size. Chip on his shoulder.

And we were the only major program to really give him a chance.

Apparently his story is similar to Kevin Dillmans(Football recruit). He was playing small time Michigan basketball and transferred to a school in Arizona to get more national exposure... apparently something happened and he wasnt able to play varsity.. I think he transferred again and got to play some.

I think you are pretty much spot on with the first part.

But, like you said, it would he would have to be a diamond in the rough...this is not how you recruit in the Big Ten for basketball

After standing out at Southfield Christian in Detroit for three seasons, Evelyn transferred to Gilbert Christian in Arizona. But, a ruling by the AIA deemed him ineligible to play for the Knights.

Evelyn landed at Hillcrest Academy, where he averaged a reported 25.4 points, 5.3 reb and 4.3 assists per game - over 9 games. Over those 9 games he shot 58% from the field, 52% from 3pt, and 92% from FT line. I don't care who you are playing those are serious numbers if accurate.

The rivals article says he has a chance at playing next year, but I think we are going to be in a lot of trouble if we need him so soon. I don't remember seeing him drive left one time in the video. I'm always happy when a kid chooses to play for Nebraska, but I hope we don't need him right away.

Bakari Evelyn, who was on three state championship basketball teams at Southfield Christian before transferring to Arizona for his senior year, has committed to Nebraska.

Evelyn posted it on his Twitter account today and told some Michigan friends that he'd be going to the school.
The 6-foot-2 senior point guard had moved to Arizona in hopes of playing for former Detroit Country Day coach Kurt Keener.
However, due to some eligibility issues, he ended up at Hillcrest Academy, where he averaged nearly 27 points per game.
As a junior, he led Southfield Christian to the Class D state title with 28 points after most of his teammates had fouled out against Lenawee Christian.
He then left the state to live with his brother, but guardianship issues made him ineligible at Gilbert Christian, where Keener coached, according to reports out of Arizona.

Link

But, like you said, it would he would have to be a diamond in the rough...this is not how you recruit in the Big Ten for basketball

Wisconsin would disagree...

Sometimes seeing something in a kid isnt an awful way to go.

Obviously Frank is the exception compared to being the rule.. but plenty of good teams go for the right fit compared to the 5 star.

Wisconsin would disagree...

Sometimes seeing something in a kid isnt an awful way to go.

Obviously Frank is the exception compared to being the rule.. but plenty of good teams go for the right fit compared to the 5 star.

Not really...They have bigger recruits than people think

Hayes was a 3 star with offers from Ohio State and Minny

Dekker was the 19th ranked recruit in the nation...

• Fire 1

Not going to lie, I wasn't really excited when his name was floating around the last couple weeks. But now that I've done some reading, he seems like he has real possibilities. Seems to have been a good player on a team that won three state titles in Michigan then seems to have put up good numbers as a senior. Not sure about the level of competition but that's not a bad resume.

Odd thing is why is he still available.

Not going to lie, I wasn't really excited when his name was floating around the last couple weeks. But now that I've done some reading, he seems like he has real possibilities. Seems to have been a good player on a team that won three state titles in Michigan then seems to have put up good numbers as a senior. Not sure about the level of competition but that's not a bad resume.

Odd thing is why is he still available.

Being totally "unranked" is the really odd part...especially since he is cleared and there are no red flags. Maybe the Skers grabbed a stud...you never know!