JUCO QB Terry Wilson [Kentucky - Signed LOI]

Mavric

I hope you guys are right, but for me there is smoke here. When asked in a recent interview if the 247 ratings bump attracted attention from other schools, O'Brien said something to the effect of "yes, a little. but I tell everyone who calls that I'm firmly committed to Nebraska so they pretty much back off after that." That's a lot different then Wilson inviting Frost into his home and then paying money out of his own pocket to travel 2000 miles to Eugene, Oregon.

That's not to say I blame him. He has to do what's best for him. It just seems to me like he is not as firmly committed as I would like him to be.

I cant blame him for looking around, Oregon is the hot team right now, the facilities are cool but don't carry nearly as much history and prestige as a tour at Nebraska. Eugene is an OK town as long as you stay within a few blocks of campus so you don't get harassed by druggies and homeless people. I hope he stays on board it would be great to have two top tier QB's to work with.

I hope you guys are right, but for me there is smoke here. When asked in a recent interview if the 247 ratings bump attracted attention from other schools, O'Brien said something to the effect of "yes, a little. but I tell everyone who calls that I'm firmly committed to Nebraska so they pretty much back off after that." That's a lot different then Wilson inviting Frost into his home and then paying money out of his own pocket to travel 2000 miles to Eugene, Oregon.

That's not to say I blame him. He has to do what's best for him. It just seems to me like he is not as firmly committed as I would like him to be.

At this point, it's hard to blame him for not being 100% committed. There's still a lot of time left before he has to make a decision, so giving some thought to other schools to at least see if he likes one more than Nebraska is, honestly, the smart thing for him to do. If Oregon stays after him and can't sway him from Nebraska, that speaks volumes about how much our recruiting has improved. Maybe other recruits will look at that, say "wow, he chose Nebraska over Oregon?" and take an interest in what we have to offer.

I really think kids are embracing the amount of QB knowledge our coaches have to offer. Riley and Langsdorf build NFL qbs out of nobodies. Give them 4 star qb talent and watch what happens IMO

Yep. Its frankly one of the glaring differences in this staff. Riley has the experience and discernment to evaluate and develop QBs, something Bo didn't. Langsdorf's experience and resume destroys Beck's as well.

If I were Wilson, I would be watching very closely how Riley and Langsdorf use our QBs this year. He is a great player with athletic ability that can be very successfully used on the football field. That is, IF it is used correctly.

If Riley and Langdorf take Armstrong and improve is passing while also capitalizing on his legs, then Wilson should be happy. However, if they try to force Armstrong into being a pocket passer, basically forcing a square peg into a round hole, Wilson should run as fast as he can to Oregon.

Oregon's offense fits him very well. Ours could fit him very well if the coaches are smart.

Now, I believe they are smart and I believe they are going to use Armstrong very effectively and I believe Wilson will be wearing RED next year.

But, it is smart for Wilson to keep the door open to Oregon until he sees what this fall looks like.

PS....And, I will guarantee you that Frost is telling him Riley wants pure pocket passers and not duel threat QBs.

If I were Wilson, I would be watching very closely how Riley and Langsdorf use our QBs this year. He is a great player with athletic ability that can be very successfully used on the football field. That is, IF it is used correctly.

If Riley and Langdorf take Armstrong and improve is passing while also capitalizing on his legs, then Wilson should be happy. However, if they try to force Armstrong into being a pocket passer, basically forcing a square peg into a round hole, Wilson should run as fast as he can to Oregon.

Oregon's offense fits him very well. Ours could fit him very well if the coaches are smart.

Now, I believe they are smart and I believe they are going to use Armstrong very effectively and I believe Wilson will be wearing RED next year.

But, it is smart for Wilson to keep the door open to Oregon until he sees what this fall looks like.

PS....And, I will guarantee you that Frost is telling him Riley wants pure pocket passers and not duel threat QBs.

The thing is, Wilson considers himself a QB that is a passer but can run when necessary. He takes offense to being called a dual threat. One thing fans should be excited about is Riley/Langsdorfs ability to adapt.
  • Fire 2

I don't think Riley would've recruited Wilson if he only wanted pure pocket QBs.

I don't think Riley would've recruited Wilson if he only wanted pure pocket QBs.

I agree...and that's why I think he will be a Husker. But, the other QB we haver recruited fits the mold of a pure pocket passer much more.

If the Spring Game was any indication, there is still going to be a QB run game.

I agree...and that's why I think he will be a Husker. But, the other QB we haver recruited fits the mold of a pure pocket passer much more.

That isn't totally accurate

• Fire 1

The thing is, Wilson considers himself a QB that is a passer but can run when necessary. He takes offense to being called a dual threat. One thing fans should be excited about is Riley/Langsdorfs ability to adapt.

Exactly. Wilson averaged 16 rush yards per game last year. He is not a "run first" guy.

Conversely, POB averaged 58 rush yards per game last year.

• Fire 1

Here is something I posted elsewhere:

Their high school stats throw the whole black/white dual-threat/pro-style QB image into a conundrum:

2014 junior year stats

Wilson

rushing - 55 att 194 yds 4 TDs

passing - 201/369 2856 yds 24 TDs

O'Brien

rushing - 143 att 640 yds 13 TDs

passing - 218/333 2093 yds 12 TDs

• Mavric changed the title to JUCO QB Terry Wilson [Kentucky - Signed LOI]