“Every snap, every moment that I get out there is a huge deal for me.”

http://hailvarsity.com/news/football-news/jack-gangwish-turning-pride-into-motivation/2015/04/

Erin Sorensen @ Hail Varsity

That’s what makes Gangwish not only a leader of the Blackshirts, but genuinely a leader of the whole Nebraska football team. He’s dedicated, focused and unwilling to settle. It’s a great combination for a senior looking to leave it all on the field and defensive coordinator Mark Banker is fine with that.

“Every day at practice he came to work, did his job and did it well,” Banker said after the spring game. “He made the corrections he needed. He’s somebody you know you can turn your back on and the job is going to be done.”

• Fire 2

Do you think we might see leadership from members of the team this year that we haven't seen since Suh? I'm wondering if the fear of the wrath of Bo kept the lid on any emerging leadership in years past.

I don't think that the kids were afraid to try to step up and lead. Many of the players loved Bo. I just think that Bo's philosophy on leading was probably a lot like his demeanor. I think the kids seen their head coach losing his cool, screaming and yelling and they thought, thats how we should lead. IMO now a days you can't lead that way. You have to first serve before you lead. You must be willing to be the guy who has to do the grunt work, the job nobody else wants to do. If you do that then the other guys on the team will follow you wherever you want to go. I think that is kind of leadership Coach Riley will bring to the table. At least I hope thats what we will get out of him!

• Fire 2

Do you think we might see leadership from members of the team this year that we haven't seen since Suh? I'm wondering if the fear of the wrath of Bo kept the lid on any emerging leadership in years past.

I don't think that the kids were afraid to try to step up and lead. Many of the players loved Bo. I just think that Bo's philosophy on leading was probably a lot like his demeanor. I think the kids seen their head coach losing his cool, screaming and yelling and they thought, thats how we should lead. IMO now a days you can't lead that way. You have to first serve before you lead. You must be willing to be the guy who has to do the grunt work, the job nobody else wants to do. If you do that then the other guys on the team will follow you wherever you want to go. I think that is kind of leadership Coach Riley will bring to the table. At least I hope thats what we will get out of him!

Actually, I think it's just the opposite. There were stories that came out after the Wisconsin game about when Bo was melting down on the sidelines, it was the players who had to step up and rally the troops and try to motivate them to believe in what they were doing.

I like Gangwich, I think he is going to have a good year. You can't teach motor or desire. He may not be the most gifted player out there but NU needs 1-2 guys like this on the team that really contribute. Guys like him make the other scholarship guys work that much harder and get that much better. Don't be surprised if he is elected one of the captains.

If Gangwich's play can match his motivation, plus we have VV and Collins in the middle, we might have a 1997 type or 1995 type defensive line in the making.

Let's pump the brakes a bit. Don't get me wrong, I'm incredibly excited about how good the front 4 could be, but '95 and '97 (Maybe '09) were the absolute pinnacle for D-Line play.

• Fire 1

If Gangwich's play can match his motivation, plus we have VV and Collins in the middle, we might have a 1997 type or 1995 type defensive line in the making.

Gangwish should not have any comparison to Wistrom, Tomich, or Kelsay other than that they are all white and have played DE at Nebraska.

Just stop.

He probably compares more favorably to me!

Gangwish should not have any comparison to Wistrom, Tomich, or Kelsay other than that they are all white and have played DE at Nebraska.

Just stop.

Absolutely nothing wrong with his comment.

Read again the bolded part.

• Fire 3

Just stop.

Or at least Cameron Meredith.

Just stop.

Or at least Cameron Meredith.

You know what, that is a great comparison!

Just stop.

Absolutely nothing wrong with his comment.

Read again the bolded part.

Just because Gangwish "works hard" doesn't mean he is a difference-maker on the field. To me, it's a huge red flag that he is in position to start.

• Fire 1