Bathroom remodel

By request of teachercd, here are some pics of my recent bathroom remodel. I've still got a little touching up to do yet, like adding a backsplash to the sink and grouting the glass tile on the backsplash and the line on the shower wall.

When I bought the house in December, it was really dated, and the floor plan was pretty dumb. The only bathroom in the house was tiny, so we closed up the doorway to the 2nd bedroom, smashed a couple walls, built in cabinets, and totally refinished the entire bathroom floor to ceiling. It's now a master bathroom with a walk-in shower. The space still isn't huge, but it opened it up a lot!

This was my first experience installing tile, and I feel really good about it. It did take a lot of time, but it was worth it.

post-10281-0-33538000-1430147700_thumb.jpg

post-10281-0-85984800-1430147701_thumb.jpg

I watched a lot of YouTube videos to learn how to do all of this. A contractor named Sal DiBlasi (I think that's how you spell it) has his own channel with a whole bunch of tile videos. Like I said, this was my first experience with tile, and there are a couple things that I'd do a little differently, but I'm extremely pleased with how it turned out.

Will you still put in a shower door or just leave it open? I like the open look

No, it's meant to be left open. There's very minimal water that splashes out, so it works well.

It looks really good. I've done 2-3 bathrooms as part of a few basement renovations/finishes.

Did you have to do much regarding plumbing? That is the worst part, IMHO.

There was a fair amount of plumbing. I just used PEX tubing with crimp rings. I tried quick-connects, but they leaked like crazy. And with the shower drain, it took quite a bit of effort to get the drain set in the right place and the right height for my mortar slope. I have an unfinished basement under part of my house, and the plumbing for the shower drain is in the crawl space part of our basement. And yes, I despise plumbing as well. It's not all that difficult, but it's the part I worry about most because it will cause the greatest amount of damage if not done correctly. That's why I chose PEX, because it's pretty simple, there's no soldering or gluing, and it's flexible.

No, it's meant to be left open. There's very minimal water that splashes out, so it works well.

That's how mine is, and I love it. Especially after I had knee surgery a few years ago, and only had to step over the lip rather than up and over the side of a tub. And no gunk on a door or curtain.

That's how mine is, and I love it. Especially after I had knee surgery a few years ago, and only had to step over the lip rather than up and over the side of a tub. And no gunk on a door or curtain.

See...I want mine left open too. I hate trying to clean those shower doors. I also love the little half-ledge that he has in the picture.

See...I want mine left open too. I hate trying to clean those shower doors. I also love the little half-ledge that he has in the picture.

I see someone is thinking of some shower sex.

Nice job, HuskerShark! I'm nearly done finishing my basement. It was completely unfinished down there when we bought the house and the only thing I didn't do myself was the carpet and hooking the electrical into the breaker box. Maybe I'll post a few pics when it's all done. Love seeing this DIY stuff.

I see someone is thinking of some shower sex.

Thats why I am trying to figure out where to put the hidden cameras