Recent Recruit Offerings

I hope that's not true. It's not the worst thing in the world, but it is dishonest and hardly representative of Nebraska values (not to mention pointless). If you make an offer, you stand by it (as long as the kid acts in good faith).

Good luck competing in the recruiting world and on the field then. To compete with the big boys we are going to have to play like them.

Every single school puts out uncommitable offers, including Nebraska under the previous coaches. If every offer were commitable then you could only offer as many spots as you had available at a given position. AFAIK we have never operated this way.

That's not exactly the same situation. Offering more guys than you have spots for doesn't fall under the usual definition of "un-committable". If you would take the commit as soon as you offered them, that's a committable offer. If they don't take the offer before someone else has committed and takes that spot, that's up to them.

And it's possible that we've done this for some time. So far, all I've seen is some vague reference to one guy a few years ago. I'm not sure that proves much. That could have been as much of a misunderstanding as anything. Last year, there was a low-rated DT from Louisiana or somewhere like that that reported a Husker offer and then had to backtrack a couple days later. We had apparently talked to him but didn't actually extend an offer.

I haven't always followed recruiting as closely as I have the last 2-3 years but I've never even heard it come up as a possibility in that time.

That's not exactly the same situation. Offering more guys than you have spots for doesn't fall under the usual definition of "un-committable". If you would take the commit as soon as you offered them, that's a committable offer. If they don't take the offer before someone else has committed and takes that spot, that's up to them.

I'm the opposite -- I haven't followed recruiting as closely in the last several years as I used to. However, is this different? Was it really ever the case that Nebraska was prepared to accept a commit from every offer it made, so long as that spot wasn't first taken by someone else?

I thought guys were slow played regularly. As in, yes, they have an offer, but they're lower on the priority list and the staff needs to hear back from others first -- as opposed to every offer being equally first come, first serve. Usually this works itself out, as recruits don't commit without a comfort level and the coaches devote their time communicating with their top targets. So I don't really see this as an issue.

The "vague reference" I found was Harold Mobley (2010). Though that does appear to be a case of, tried to commit, spot was already taken.

I'm the opposite -- I haven't followed recruiting as closely in the last several years as I used to. However, is this different? Was it really ever the case that Nebraska was prepared to accept a commit from every offer it made, so long as that spot wasn't first taken by someone else?

I thought guys were slow played regularly. As in, yes, they have an offer, but they're lower on the priority list and the staff needs to hear back from others first -- as opposed to every offer being equally first come, first serve. Usually this works itself out, as recruits don't commit without a comfort level and the coaches devote their time communicating with their top targets. So I don't really see this as an issue.

The "vague reference" I found was Harold Mobley (2010). Though that does appear to be a case of, tried to commit, spot was already taken.

Like I said, I've only followed closely enough to really say one way or the other in the last 3 years or so. But over that time, I've never even heard the question come up ("is that an un-committable offer"). That isn't definitive but as you can tell from my post several weeks ago, I was getting a much different feel from these offers that were going out this spring than I had ever gotten over the previous few years.

I wouldn't swear to it, but I've never gotten the feeling nor heard any of the recruiting guys mention that a certain recruit might have an un-committable offer from Nebraska until just today. So yes, I've always been under the impression that anyone who had an offer could have committed when they received the offer. That might not be correct, but I've never see anything to indicate otherwise.

And if now the only previous guy that has been mentioned was actually not because the offer was un-committable, it doesn't seem like anyone has any evidence to the contrary.

As I've said a couple times already, as long as the recruits know that at the time, it's not really a big deal. But it just seems like an odd way to do things. I've thought that for several years whenever it would come up about other schools. And judging by the tweet I saw from a national recruiting guy awhile ago, it's not always - possibly even usually - not brought up to the recruit that an offer is un-committable. Perhpas we're doing it differently but I don't see the point of it either way. Even if you're being honest with the recruit from the start, you're basically trying to give them the impression that you're more interested in them than you actually are.

Besides the stupidity of making an offer that isn't really an offer, it's just plain unnecessary. And no, I don't believe it's something that "everyone" does or that the previous staff did.

You can recruit a kid without making an offer. That obviously happens all the time.

You can make more offers than you have spots and make the offers contingent upon a spot still being available. Those are still commitable offers, they just have an expiration if you don't commit in time. Obviously everyone does that (and should).

Making an offer that a kid isn't able to immediately accept is just plain dumb and dishonest. It's not an offer and NU doesn't need to do it to compete. It doesn't really gain you anything.

Besides the stupidity of making an offer that isn't really an offer, it's just plain unnecessary. And no, I don't believe it's something that "everyone" does or that the previous staff did.

You can recruit a kid without making an offer. That obviously happens all the time.

You can make more offers than you have spots and make the offers contingent upon a spot still being available. Those are still commitable offers, they just have an expiration if you don't commit in time. Obviously everyone does that (and should).

Making an offer that a kid isn't able to immediately accept is just plain dumb and dishonest. It's not an offer and NU doesn't need to do it to compete. It doesn't really gain you anything.

Technically no offers are real until August of the athletes senior year when they get a written offer in the mail. Coaches verbally "offer" kids before their senior year to guage interest and get in the door.