Compare and Contrast: Wilson to O'brien

I have see a lot of things said about each QB, but wanted a space to specifically compare and contrast the two.

To me, (and I am no expert), but to me I see the following:

- Wilson is much more athletic, with much better scrambling and running ability and a lot more speed with his feet.

- It seems to me that O'Brien has the stronger arm and has more types of throws in his arsenal. If you watch those tapes of him at the Charlotte Elite 11 camp, he has a way of controlling ball placement and completing different types of throws.

- Both do a good job of waiting for the pass to develop and looking to pass first, with running as the last option.

- O'Brien is a little big huskier, Wilson is leaner. There's about a 25b difference between the two with similar heights.

- Both seem to be high character kids and strong leaders both in what they say and what they do.

I just don't feel real confident with O'Brien's running abilities. I like that Wilson can make the throws and run pretty well. It gives you more weapons on offense and makes the defense have to think about more things to defend. I feel like a guy like O'Brien's success will depend on how good his line is. IF he has a good line, he will thrive. If he has a line that doesn't give him time or doesn't hold up well in pass protection, then will he be able to run fast enough to get away?

Discuss.

• Fire 2

Their high school stats throw the whole black/white dual-threat/pro-style QB image into a conundrum:

2014 junior year stats

Wilson

rushing - 55 att 194 yds 4 TDs

passing - 201/369 2856 yds 24 TDs

O'Brien

rushing - 143 att 640 yds 13 TDs

passing - 218/333 2093 yds 12 TDs

• Fire 1

Their high school stats throw the whole black/white dual-threat/pro-style QB image into a conundrum:

2014 junior year stats

Wilson

passing - 201/369 2856 yds 24 TDs - 54.5%, 7.7 ypa

O'Brien

passing - 218/333 2093 yds 12 TDs - 65.7%, 6.3 ypa

Added percentages and efficiency. It's somewhat tough to tell but it appears that O'Brien was probably throwing more short passes. But it's still quite a gap in completion percentage.

2014 junior year stats

Wilson

passing - 201/369 2856 yds 24 TDs - 54.5%, 7.7 ypa

O'Brien

passing - 218/333 2093 yds 12 TDs - 65.7%, 6.3 ypa

Added percentages and efficiency. It's somewhat tough to tell but it appears that O'Brien was probably throwing more short passes. But it's still quite a gap in completion percentage.

I think the difference in overall talent on the two teams is quite a bit, too.

I have see a lot of things said about each QB, but wanted a space to specifically compare and contrast the two.

To me, (and I am no expert), but to me I see the following:

- Wilson is much more athletic, with much better scrambling and running ability and a lot more speed with his feet.

- It seems to me that O'Brien has the stronger arm and has more types of throws in his arsenal. If you watch those tapes of him at the Charlotte Elite 11 camp, he has a way of controlling ball placement and completing different types of throws.

- Both do a good job of waiting for the pass to develop and looking to pass first, with running as the last option.

- O'Brien is a little big huskier, Wilson is leaner. There's about a 25b difference between the two with similar heights.

- Both seem to be high character kids and strong leaders both in what they say and what they do.

I just don't feel real confident with O'Brien's running abilities. I like that Wilson can make the throws and run pretty well. It gives you more weapons on offense and makes the defense have to think about more things to defend. I feel like a guy like O'Brien's success will depend on how good his line is. IF he has a good line, he will thrive. If he has a line that doesn't give him time or doesn't hold up well in pass protection, then will he be able to run fast enough to get away?

Discuss.

Nice thread thanks for starting it.