Rashon Burno hired as assistant coach

1687844.jpg

Nebraska head coach Tim Miles learned long ago that the approach to handling a coaching staff was to "fire quickly and hire slowly."

When Chris Harriman left the Huskers for an associate head coach job at New Mexico last month, Miles insisted he would take his time in finding a replacement in order to first take care of some roster and recruiting tasks and also to find the right fit for the job...

The 36-year-old native of Jersey City, N.J., had plenty of interest from other programs shortly after he became available, including going back to coach at his alma mater, DePaul, where he was a three-year team captain and helped lead the Blue Devils to the 2001 NCAA Tournament...

In fact, per the official Florida athletics website, the Gators were 21-1 in games which Burno served as the scout coach from 2012-14. That record included a win over Kansas and two NCAA Tournament victories. Burno also helped develop the school's first guard to win SEC Player of the Year in Scottie Wilbekin in 2013-14.

Bruno reportedly made $165,000 last season at UF, which will likely increase at Nebraska considering all three of Miles' assistants made roughly $230,000 in 2014-15.

Source: https://nebraska.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1765784

• Fire 1

Honest question, Nebraska now has former "important" (important meaning they were involved in recruiting and gameplanning) coaches from Georgetown and Florida on the bench. Is this level of big time experience new to Nebraska basketball? Seems like it should pack some recruiting punch along with the facilities...

Any chance at landing Noah Dickerson now that he got his release from Florida?

According to BC(i believe) Rashon was the lead recruiter for Noah at Florida. So i think Nebraska has a chance to at least get a look. Noah can come in and log big minutes early on a team with some solid talent.

That being said the only school he was looking at before in our area was Ohio State. Looks like a SEC/southern guy but i dont think it is out of the question.

If I were a betting man, i would say- no.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A common early rumor is that Teddy Owens, NU's Director of Basketball Operations is going to fill the position. I hope this isn't the case. Many have said he has a sharp basketball mind, but we need a recruiter. Basically he wouldn't have any ties to players that Miles already doesn't have.