Nebraska Toss Up Games in 2015

Another article by my old classmate:

I was looking at the Vegas odds today, and they have the 2015 Nebraska Cornhuskers over/under for wins at 8. When I first saw this I was a little surprised, but after taking it all in, looking at the schedule, I can see how Vegas came up with that mark. As a big Husker fan, I like to look at the schedule and say to myself well theres no way we are going to lose that game, and then we play Iowa State, Northwestern, Iowa, etc, and Im sitting there eating my own words. In this piece, Im going to look at Nebraskas toss up games and give you my opinion if Nebraska will win those games.

link: https://bettgerblog.wordpress.com/2015/05/20/2015-nebraska-football-toss-up-games/

Cant concur with your friend

Iowa and Northwestern with NU isnt in the gimmie folder any more

Yes Miami he has about right

Us beating Wisconsin- not happening

Overly optimistic about MSU and Minny. The MSU game wasnt as close as score said last year.

It's a 7-6 to 9-4 season

NU isnt going undefeated

I care little about "in game adjustments" right now and much more about mental toughness, culture and discipline

Are play calling and adjustments important? yes

But the games are won in the weeks and months before game day on the practice field and meeting rooms. "Executing" comes as natural as walking and talking.

Ball protection is ball protection, there are only so many ways you can block inside and outside zone ( the base rules cover every front), tackling is tackling, pursuit is pursuit no matter who you are playing

Iowa and Northwestern with NU isnt in the gimmie folder

Overly optimistic about MSU and Minny. The MSU game wasnt as close as score said last year.

It's an 7-6 to 9-4 season

NU isnt going undefeated

I care little about "in game adjustments" right now and much more about mental toughness, culture and discipline

How is Nebraska beating Wisconsin "not happening"

The game is at home. Wisconsin lost there stud RB. They have a new coach as well.

I think it is the definition of a toss up game.

MSU beats Nebraska, me thinks.

Minnesota will be VERY tough.

Miami played us close last year, but i think they are so poorly coached that we can win.

New coach. new team.. dont know what to expect.

NU isnt going undefeated

The game is at home. Wisconsin lost there stud RB. They have a new coach as well.

Miami played us close last year, but i think they are so poorly coached that we can win.

Wisconsin beat NU by 35 points- could have been more if they wanted it. Took starters out late 3rd quarter. Keep starters in- they win by 50++

Is NU 50 points better than last year? No

Wisconsin has 1,000 yard rusher back- Gordon wasnt their whole team

We are much worse off losing Ameer, than they are for losing Gordon- not even close

They have 8 returners back on D including all of very tough secondary

Last time Wisconsin changed coaches, they didnt miss a beat and this guy is a Wisconsin guy

The writer suggesting we will win all our games is laughable IMO

NU will be very fortunate to play MSU even close. Great fundamental team, well coached, Great D, GREAT QB

Minny has identity, kids play hard, well coached, very possible 3 wins in a row, They are over the hump of not knowing how to win. Our new D scheme helps us against this team, but Kills gets the most out of the little talent he has.

BYU and Miami could go either way. If nothing really odd happens we probably go 1-1 in that one

Riley and NU have consistently lost one they shouldnt so a Northwestern/Iowa/Illinois could very likely take one from us

NU isnt going undefeated

Wisconsin beat NU by 35 points- could have been more if they wanted it. Took starters out late 3rd quarter. Keep starters in- they win by 50

Is NU 50 points better than last year? probably not

We are much worse off losing Ameer, than they are for losing Gordon- not even close

Last time Wisconsin changed coaches, they didnt miss a beat and this guy is a Wisconsin guy

So they have a new coach and that's bad for them, we have a new coach and it's good for us? ok

I don't know if a new coach is bad for Whisky, but I do think a new coach is good for NU. I put NU's losses to Wisconsin the last 2x squarely on BP's shoulders. His stubbornness and refusal to sell out to shut down Whisky's run game like every other team does is what cost us those games and and causes that lopsided scores. His defensive philosophy against a power running teams was terrible and too complicated.

I don't know if NU 2015 will beat Wisconsin, but I truly believe we will see a better product on the field.

• Fire 3

NU isnt going undefeated

Wisconsin beat NU by 35 points- could have been more if they wanted it. Took starters out late 3rd quarter. Keep starters in- they win by 50++

Is NU 50 points better than last year? No

So they have a new coach and that's bad for them, we have a new coach and it's good for us? ok

When you give up 550+ rushing yards, yes, getting a new coach is a good thing.

To your other points. I am not claiming we are 50 points better, but we are talking two different seasons. Wisconsin smoked us, it was there day, but i still dont think we were as bad as we looked that night and Wisconsin was as good as they looked that night.

I am not saying we will win, I am saying the notion that us beating them is "not happening" seems a bit extreme. They have a lot of things that have changed(as do we).

Ill buy you a beer if they beat us by 35+ again.... I just dont see us getting beat that bad.

The deal isnt covering a 35 point spread

To think we are even talking about NU getting pummelled by Wisconsin by 35-50 pts is rather revealing itself

The deal is can we win this game

Looking at what they have coming back and what we have coming back and then looking at both teams and a Wisconsin team that is changing little with a 1,000 yard rusher back and whose strength on Defense is what we will be trying to exploit.
That is in no way a toss up game

We stand very little to no chance of picking up a win there.

To think we are even talking about NU getting pummelled by Wisconsin by 35-50 pts is rather revealing itself

Looking at what they have coming back and what we have coming back and then looking at both teams and a Wisconsin team that is changing little with a 1,000 yard rusher back and whose strength on Defense is what we will be trying to exploit.

Yes they have a great running back coming back on offense, but who else? They don't have a stud receiver to throw to and lets see what happens if Joel Stave has to throw a lot in this game. We have more weapons on offense, but I agree they have a solid defense but offensively who do they have besides an O-Line and Clement? We will have to wait and see what happens but I would say we have a good chance to win this game. Home opener for conference games and we will have a lot to play for this game. Our team is going to play hard and nasty wearing our away jerseys at home since we lost to Wisconsin in Madison we wear our away jerseys. They will be playing for another chance to get to Indy, but they may not come out so sharp as they have in the past. I think we have a great chance to win this game, but to make a prediction or anything I will first have to see how we play earlier in the season.

The Wisconsin game dynamic has completely changed now that we have a defense that is built to stop the run first and foremost. We aren't trotting out the 100th ranked run defense like in the Pelini era. We have a great shot to win that game, I think we win at home.

Take away Wisky run game and they fall apart. They have little talent on the perimeter or at QB.

• Fire 2

The Wisconsin game dynamic has completely changed now that we have a defense that is built to stop the run first and foremost. We aren't trotting out the 100th ranked run defense like in the Pelini era. We have a great shot to win that game, I think we win at home.

Take away Wisky run game and they fall apart. They have little talent on the perimeter or at QB.

Great post I agree 100 percent. Lets see how good this Wisconsin team really is when they have to throw in close game situations. They may improve in the passing game next year but they won't get drastically better.

Haven't we been saying this same thing since joining the Big 10? How well has that gone for us? (Gordon just ran another 100)

Haven't we been saying this same thing since joining the Big 10? How well has that gone for us? (Gordon just ran another 100)

Bo never took it away. Bo's run defenses were pathetic, that's the point. The same reason a lesser Minnesota team ran it down our throats the last two seasons as well.

• Fire 2

Quoting this for later.

Bo never took it away. Bo's run defenses were pathetic, that's the point. The same reason a lesser Minnesota team ran it down our throats the last two seasons as well.

How exactly do you know that our defense is fixed though and aren't trotting out the 100th ranked rush defense? I haven't seen any proof of this yet. I don't think it was just "Bo's defense". It was the lack of speed, athleticism and guys simply not playing their position the way they were suppose to. Bo's fault for guys not being prepared and not having the right technique, but let's not jump the gun and say its fixed or say where they will not be ranked.

• Fire 1