2015 Opponent Previews: Wisconsin

Athlon Sports: Wisconsin

Wisconsin has a new coach (Paul Chryst), but the expectations remain the same in Madison. Led by talented junior running back Corey Clement and a solid defense, the Badgers are Athlon’s pick to win the Big Ten’s West Division. Question marks remain about this team, especially at quarterback and receiver. However, with Nebraska and Minnesota each having their own share of concerns, Wisconsin should make another trip to the Big Ten Championship.

http://athlonsports.com/college-football/top-25/wisconsin-badgers-2015-preview-and-prediction#sthash.m4ZWdUuC.dpuf

Magazine says: 9-4 (6-2) 1st in Big Ten West

SNBation: Despite all this change, Wisconsin is still the Big Ten West's safest bet

Paul Chryst was Wisconsin's quarterback in the late-1980s, served as an assistant for two years under Alvarez, and called the offensive shots during the Bielema era. He is well-versed in Wisconsin football, and he has three years of head coaching experience to go along with his 14 years as a coordinator. He's got a solid offensive mind, and he retained excellent young defensive coordinator Dave Aranda. He knows what it takes to win in Madison, and he will probably do just that.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/6/4/8702645/wisconsin-football-2015-preview-schedule-roster

Scout.com: Paul Chryst, it’s sort of simple – win and keep on winning.

Paul Chryst, it’s sort of simple – win your bowl games, and don’t embarrass the boss in front of his friends. Bret Bielema couldn’t win the Rose Bowl, Gary Andersen didn’t win enough really big games, and now it’s up to Chryst to be the Point C to Point D guy and get the Badgers into the playoff.

While Bielema is turning into one of college football’s elite head coaches, there could only be one Head Man In Charge in Madison, and Barry Alvarez was and is it. There won’t be the same sort of clashes between Chryst and the AD.

http://cfn.scout.com/2/1558638.html

More to come...

• Fire 1

Wisconsin's schedule

Ohio State is not on their schedule. They lose to Bama week 1 then will be favored in 11 or 10 (@NU) games.

No MSU. No UM. No PSU. KSU of the 90's type schedule.

9/05/15 vs. Alabama

spacer.gif

09/12/15 vs. Miami (Ohio) Camp Randall Stadium

09/19/15 vs. Troy Camp Randall Stadium

09/26/15 vs. Hawai'i media-icon-tv.gif Camp Randall Stadium

10/03/15 vs. Iowa * Camp Randall Stadium

10/10/15 at Nebraska * Lincoln, Neb.

10/17/15 vs. Purdue * Camp Randall Stadium

10/24/15 at Illinois * Champaign, Ill.

10/31/15 vs. Rutgers * Camp Randall Stadium

11/07/15 at Maryland * College Park, Md.

11/21/15 vs. Northwestern * Camp Randall Stadium

11/28/15 at Minnesota * Minneapolis, Minn.

(Edited to add "Wisconsin's schedule")

Edited by Sargon

Ohio State is not on their schedule. They lose to Bama week 1 then will be favored in 11 or 10 (@NU) games.

9/05/15 vs. Alabama

spacer.gif

He was talking aboot Minnesota...
  • Fire 2

Calling it now, Wisconsin does NOT win the West this year.

Minnesota will win the west.

If that happens, we might as well go ahead and quit.

When I saw the Huskers biggest upset win could come at Minnie, I puked, in my mouth, a little. They are and always will be friggin Minnie. How the hell we allowed schools like them and Iowa to even exist on the same playing field is complete and utter BS. Yes, I am a long time Husker fan. Some might call it spoiled, or quote parity etc..... I say we have developed an attitude of mediocrity. And that sucks.

I hope Riley can light the fire and get these kids to bleed red and get seem pride back. Watching us lose to Minnie, struggle with Iowa and get trucked by Wisky year in and year out has got to change. Get back to our rightful place as the school that the B1G conference goes through.....

I think you're right. The last 15 years have let the program slip into mediocrity. I think Nebraska could claw it's way back into elite category if NCAA rule changes allow for earlier official visits, but until then it's just going to be hard for NU to recruit at a level necessary to hang with top teams.

Regarding Wisconsin, it's hard to pick against them. From a pure scheduling standpoint, I simply don't see many chances for them to rack up conference losses. With NU having to play Michigan State, and Wisconsin's joke of a conference schedule, even a Nebraska victory still leaves us with very little room for error.

So from reading that article, Wisconsin isn't expected to drop off a whole lot. Chryst has coached there before obviously, and Wisconsin will continue to pound the running game similar to what they have been in the past.

They kept the same defensive coordinator as last season. Their defense was very good and should be good again.

The only weakness is QB, WR, and the loss of three, YES THREE starters on the offensive line. Now we could talk for days about how weak Nebraska's offensive line has been and a few guys that shouldn't have even been out there in my opinion, but for a team like Wisconsin to lose three starters, maybe it's a bigger deal for them.

When QB and offensive line is a supposed weakness, that is a great sign that Wisconsin may struggle this season. Especially if an opponent can get them out of their groove and stop the run game. That might be a tall order, but it might not be too much to ask from Nebraska at least. Nebraska's strength defensively will be right up the gut with Collins and Valentine. Banderas and Rose should be all over the field this year making plays Nate Gerry and Leroy Alexander will hopefully be blitzing right along with the linebackers.

The best way to beat Wisconsin will be to pressure Stave and confuse that inexperienced offensive line. Nebraska plays Wisconsin early enough in the season that there may not be complete cohesion up front for the yet. Which means, unlike Bo Pelini's tactics against the Vadgers. If Bankers defense crowds the line, stops the run, and forces Stave to beat you, I don't think he has the ability to do so.

• Fire 3

9/05/15 vs. Alabama

spacer.gif

Now that's a murderers' row...

...for Wisconsin to murder.

If they don't win the West with that schedule, they need to seriously re-evaluate how much their university needs a football program.

9/05/15 vs. Alabama

spacer.gif

Now that's a murderers' row...

...for Wisconsin to murder.

If they don't win the West with that schedule, they need to seriously re-evaluate how much their university needs a football program.

Yeah, the talk of "balanced schedules" out of the B1G offices was a load of crap. They'll be favored in every game but 1.

Yikes, with that piddly schedule they could garner some unwaranted love nationally if they keep things close with Bammy.

I hadn't looked at their schedule that closely. That is a terribly easy schedule. If they don't win 10 next year all of the land of Bucky should by disappointed.

I can't see Wis running on us again, like they have. What did they run two or three of the same plays, over and over against us, and the coaches couldn't figure a way to slow it down. Never seen anything like that, since Okl and their wish bone. Even then we could shut it down enough to stay in games with Okl. There is much more experience on this new staff, and I can't see them letting that happen, no matter how good Wis is. We should win the West, with our tougher conf games at home. Don't know if we will, but I sure am tired of waiting for the us to get back to the top of the pecking order. I feel the same way "lo country" does. It's time to return to who we were.

GBR!!!

Riley didn't seem to have trouble slowing down Wisconsin's running game with inferior defensive talent

True, but that wasn't with Paul Chryst as OC.

It's not rocket science. If our guys learn how to keep outside containment, there's no reason why we can't hold Wisconsin's running game. Our defense played for the last few years like they'd never seen a run go outside the tackles.

Let's hope Riley and Banker figure it out. I gotta feeling that 408 yard ncaa rushing record against us hastened Bo's departure.

OTOH, I think Wisconsin's rushing attack will drop off quite a bit from what it was last year.