What kind of defense do you prefer?

Defensive Style  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

NUance's Havoc rankings post got me thinking. What would better suit us for success? Sure crazy and wild play is fun to watch, but we need to be technically sound to be successful. On the other hand by the book strikes no fear into the opposition when compared to a defense that plays like it's hair is on fire.

What would you rather have?

I remember listening to Coach McBride on the radio and I believe he even used the phrase "Hair on fire" saying that he preferred fast. Saying something like you can make a mistake as long as you make it going 100 mph.

It sounds lame, but sitting in my car listening to him talk about it was getting me all fired up. This was years ago though, still in the middle of the Pelini years.

• Fire 1

I would love to see us playing mistake free technically sound defense that shuts out a few opponents over the season.

But more than that I would like to see us picking off tipped balls, plowing over the line, pounding the QB into the turf, and do it while looking like escaped convicts out for blood. I wan't to be the team that other teams don't want to play. That wins games before they start.

The one that doesn't give up the following:

- 400 yards rushing to one player

- 60+ points multiplied times

- a 7-5 team to run up and down the field with ease

- Iowa to score 38 on us at home

- Northwestern to drive down the field for 7 minutes to eventually score the winning touchdown

- Garrett Gilbert running for almost 100 yards

I'm sure there's a few more.

• Fire 5

One that works. Offenses have changed over the decades and so defenses are going to look different too. Against Spread type offenses, you need to be playing good technique and know your assignments because your defense is spread out. You can still do that while playing aggressively and fast. But, the defense is going to look different than good defenses from decades ago.

I'm a "HAIR ON FIRE" GUY :ahhhhhhhh:madash I don't want the O to know where we are coming from. I want the O to be constantly making mental mistakes :bang because of our pressure.

I want to hit wt the :box and the :box and :restore to the way we played D in the 1990s - fast and furious (I think Knapp had a thread on that recently)

and give the O :devil from every direction.

I don't want to dedhoarse but I will: With Bo, we tried to be smart, we had a thick playbook, we were complex & technical in every way. In the end it was our D that was :bang as they kept trying to

over-think :dunno everything - leaving defenders out of position and not ready for the next play. It is time to face :band:violin- Bo didn't know, when it came to the big games - our D was the worse when we played against competent teams and coaching. So it time for some real :throwdabones1: and time to :nutz and leave no doubt who is

in control. Instead of reacting on D, it is time to act and forget what the O gives us but force the O to play our game. :bonez:bonesflag:

That is my :rant on the subject. I'm looking forward to a new look and I expect to see a wild front 4 messing up the offensive timing and efficiency.

• Fire 1

Stop trying to play perfect and play football.

At this level, defense is complicated but there is no reason to over-complicate it either.

McBride's defenses would still be successful today.

A defense should never allow an offense to dictate to them. Do what you do and do it well.

McBride has said multiple times, they never changed much. It was pretty basic with just some vartiations but it wasn't a lot of mixed formations with mixed coverages. We were deceptive, that's all. We would march six or seven to the line of scrimmage and only bring 3. The next play all seven would be in the bacfield making the tackle. We kept the opposing offense out of rythym and off balance.

We trusted our players and let them do their jobs. We challenged them to rise up, and most times they did. This allowed the defense to play aggressive instead of playing scared.

The best thing about McBride's defenses, those guys played from whistle to whistle, they hustled whether the play was to their side of the field or not. The result: Gang tackling, hard hitting, and turnovers. Multiple times a Blackshirt defender would chase an opponent down and strip the ball or if an opponent fumbled, there was always another Husker there to pick it up. Pure hustle every play. Good depth and rotation allows for this.

Another philosophy of McBrides was "play the ball, not the man". Blackshirt defenses were ball hawks.

We were't playing bend don't break, we were playing "break dat ass in two mother effer".....we didn't just want a nice little stop for a three yard gain and hope to force a short field goal or a three and out. We wanted the ball back to our offense and we wanted it now.

It's all about the mentality the coaches instill on a daily basis.

• Fire 2