Financial experiment for month of June. . .

I have a good friend that never goes to the bar but him and his wife will go through a case a Bud Light a night easily. They buy 2 cases every 3rd day to keep stocked up. He told me once that they spend between $400-500 a month on beer, sometimes more if its on sale.

That's pretty gross. I try to not drink other than an occasional Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Not necessarily for financial reasons but for wellness

I have a good friend that never goes to the bar but him and his wife will go through a case a Bud Light a night easily. They buy 2 cases every 3rd day to keep stocked up. He told me once that they spend between $400-500 a month on beer, sometimes more if its on sale.

Jeez. I treat domestic beers as social beers - have some during a game, at a concert, at a party, etc.

Those 30 packs tend to be the best bang for your buck.

Yeah, but that also tends to be cheap beer that I've personally never found that enjoyable. I'd rather drink a couple good beers than pound back eight Natural Light or Busch Light.

A friend of a friend of mine used to buy 30 packs of Busch Light, and routinely polished them off within two days or three days max, but would also have another 30 pack ready to go (he obviously drank quite a bit, but he was also a bigger guy).

Depending on how much you drink at the bars, you're going to see savings by not going. A beer averages somewhere between $3 and $5, and if you buy three or four you've potentially spent $15 to $20 not including the tip. Just like someone mentioned with eating out for meals - it's going to add up big time. It sounds like you enjoy heading to the bars routinely - my best advice is just trim back the overall alcohol consumption. Maybe find a nice six pack of beer that tastes great but is a bit pricier and indulge occasionally. Even a beer a day may save you cash going this route.

I've also really begun to enjoy wine over the last year or so.

This is pretty spot on with me. I will buy an 18 pack of Miller Lite and that can last me a week easily. I will also buy a 6 pack of something unusual and have one a day. I have also taken up drinking wine in the last year and have found some good wines for about $6-8/bottle.

I might go to the bar once or twice a year for a beer and that is about it.

My girlfriend and I like to keep about 3-5 different bottles of wine around at any one time, but we usually don't go for any bottles that exceed the $20 mark. And we probably only drink a full bottle once a month. Her mom is in the auction business and has a liquor license, so we occasionally get access to higher end wines for cheap, but not routinely. I've also been gifted a couple of port wines in the last few years and those are really good, too, but I may only get to the ports once every couple of months.

I'm far from being a wine-o, but I really enjoy dry reds like Malbecs. Trader Joes has a good one called Tribunal. A bit pricier but worth it.

That's pretty gross. I try to not drink other than an occasional Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Not necessarily for financial reasons but for wellness

He drinks every day of the week. He works a swing shift and will get off at 6am and start drinking, says it helps him sleep. This guy is a walking health issue. He has high Cholesterol and high BP, like average 150/100 BP, and has gout really bad. He doesn't give a sh#t about any of it either. Pretty sad.

• 3 weeks later...

Well the verdict is in. . .

I came out ahead but not as much as I was anticipating.

Yeah, and you can go to a bar without spending a ton. If you can slow down to about 45 minutes or so per beer you won't get drunk or broke. :lol: