zoogs

Team USA Soccer

zoogs    6,003

Trailing 3-1 in the deep third of the game, Team USA mounts a crazy comeback and finishes 4-3 by full time.

Highlights

Would've loved to watch this game live, but I didn't even know it was happening. This is the kind of pulse-pounding excitement you've come to expect from Team USA. I don't know what kind of teams either side was fielding, but the Dutch are no joke.

Germany's next -- the defending champs -- and the CONCACAF Gold Cup will be this July.

default_28    94

The Dutch fielded a weaker side (they have a Euro qualifier on the 12 that they have to win, because they are currently third in their qualifying group) and the U.S. were missing several first teamers as well. Our defense was terrible the Netherlands defense was worse. It's hard to take anything away from this game except that we rallied which is a great sign, and that we have players with pace (Yedlin, Morris, Johnson) that can cause match up problems for the elite teams in the world. I almost shut it off after we gave up those two quick goals, but I'm glad I didn't. We really need to find some back up center backs though.

HuskermanMike    290

USA beat Germany 2-1, Wood has two game winners and that kid looks good. This German team was good and had a few injuries but so did the USA. It was not the German C or D team either so good overall win for the USA against the number one team in the world.

HuskermanMike    290

USA beat Guatemala 4-0 in a friendly, but it was yesterday. Didn't get to watch it but I heard that Klinsmann wasn't happy about the way we performed on the field.

zoogs    6,003

3rd and final Group Stage game in the CONCACAF Gold Cup. USA have already punched their ticket but have looked anything but impressive so far.

Dempsey, Altidore among those starting on the bench today, given a rest. Wondolowski and Zardes, I think, are those starting in their place. Bedoya is also on the field; I think that's the first time this tournament. Not sure if it was for health reasons.

Three very different lineups in three games so far for the USMNT. A number of roster changes can happen after the group stage, too.

Btw, the last time this team played Panama, it was a meaningless game for the USA and Panama would have qualified for the 2014 World Cup (at the expense of Mexico) if they had won. They were up 2-1, but the US were gunning for it to the end and won late, 3-2. Once again this game has no real stakes for the US, but Panama need it to have any hope of going through.

zoogs    6,003

Couple of really nervy moments in the early going. Panama have already almost scored twice. Once, in the net on a free kick but it was rightly called offside. A second time off a corner, where defender Morales' header clearance was more like a strong shot on goal that keeper Brad Guzan miraculously saved (along with the ensuing shot off the rebound). Morales has been playing sharp otherwise, I think.

Yikes!

zoogs    6,003

Well, shoot. Now we really are down 1-0.

Every game so far, the US has been outplayed. Now, we're finally paying the price on the scoreboard for it.

zoogs    6,003

At least we didn't lose.

The Bradley/Dempsey combo looks rounding into form. Nice!

John Brooks gets a second yellow and has to sit out the quarterfinals match. That's a bummer; we didn't even get a win out of it.

A max of 6 roster changes could happen by tomorrow night.

VectorVictor    1,559

At least we didn't lose.

John Brooks gets a second yellow and has to sit out the quarterfinals match. That's a bummer; we didn't even get a win out of it.

Man, that game was getting rather chippy, to say the least. Surprised Brooks was the only Yellow card for the USA, considering...

zoogs    6,003

Hm, I think we actually had another yellow...

Yeah, I didn't like too much how Panama were playing. It was definitely pretty chippy and they engaged in some theatrics on a few occasions. The draw is a disappointing result.

Minnesota_husker    1,172

This game didnt technically matter, but the failures we showed in this game and the previous 2 were not from a lack of effort.

The USA could have easily given up 3 goals and against teams who can actually finish when in the box, they will give up 3 goals.

The back 4 got torched multiple times. They are slow and they spend a lot of time watching the ball compared to marking their man.

I am a fan of Fabian Johnson and DeAndre Yedlin because of their speed, but Yedlin still plays a little wild and out of control. Ton of pressure on John Brooks when Fabian pushes up.

Timmy Chandler and Ventura Alvarado really struggled last night.

Brooks got his second yellow so he cant play in the next match.

I know Jozy wont be back for the quarterfinals, so interested to see if they keep Zardes up alongside Clint or if he goes back to mid field and they throw Johannson next to Dempsey.

ROUND OF 16 changes:

OUT: Jozy Altidore, Greg Garza, Alfredo Morales

In: Alan Gordon, DaMarcus Beasley, Joe Corona

Dont mind the 4-4-2 but it seems to bottle up Bradley a bit. Bedoya is so hit or miss. Had an awesome ball to Bradley to tie it up but also got burnt in the open field multiple times.

Wait and see who we get, but need to play much better.

At least we didn't lose.

Man, that game was getting rather chippy, to say the least. Surprised Brooks was the only Yellow card for the USA, considering...

Alvarado and Chandler each got yellows as well.

Should have been another one on the late slide, cant remember who that was...

Officiating was equally bad.. let a lot of things go..

I thought the one on Bedoya as he entered the box should have been a foul and a free kick... It was close, but the official was just equally lax on both sides.

Missed most of the game against Cuba... So cant touch on that a ton, but scoring big even against a mediocre team is great for the confidence.

Jamaica should be a fairly winnable game and then we get Mexico or Panama... most likely Mexico.

zoogs    6,003

On the bright side, the investment in USA youth soccer should hopefully pay some dividends down the road. That's how the Germans did it, although their starting point was also a bit stronger in the early 2000, I'd say.

HuskermanMike    290

On the bright side, the investment in USA youth soccer should hopefully pay some dividends down the road. That's how the Germans did it, although their starting point was also a bit stronger in the early 2000, I'd say.

Yeah I agree I don't agree with all the fire Klinsmann posts that people keep using. I mean we have good young talent and he is doing a great job. We got complacent and lost a match and lost in penalty kicks and penalty kicks any team can beat any team almost. We have to be a little more patient and he has us on the right track but we shall see I believe he can help USA soccer win.

It'sNotAFakeID    1,839

As I said earlier, all of this backlash against Klinsmann because the USA didn't win the Gold Cup is all a bunch of hot air. It is a disappointing result the product of a bad 5 minutes of play.

The USA gave no indication up to Jamaica's first goal that they were going to lose in the semifinals. They had been dominating possession and had opened up Jamaica on numerous occasions. Then Jamaica gets what I'm going to call a fluke goal, great header, but ultimately just a lucky, flukey goal. 1-0 Jamaica. Psychologically, losing the game when you had been dominating shocks the system. So the next 3-4 minutes of play are poor and Jamaica takes advantage with another set-piece goal. 2-0 Jamaica. We got to the half and came out on fire (good coaching and leadership) and we scored a goal. 2-1. But it's hard--I don't care the matchup--to score when there's 11 players inside that 18 yard box. So we couldn't get the equalizer and failed to make the finals for the first time in 4 Gold Cups.

Not having much to play for--Michael Bradley even said it himself--means you go out and play uninspired, which we did. Klinsmann was put in a difficult position that embattles the most talented coaches. 2015 was the first time since 2003 that the USA didn't make the Gold Cup Finals, and that was understandable because Brazil was in the tournament. This was the USA's first real taste of disappointment since losing to Ghana in the Round of 16 in the 2010 World Cup. We were favored to win the last Gold Cup, and we did. We weren't favored to get out of the Group of Death in last year's World Cup, and we did, before bowing out after giving it all in that final 15 minutes against Belgium. For a not so crazed football nation, we have done pretty well for ourselves the past 4 years.

I don't know how anyone can look towards Jürgen Klinsmann right now and say that he deserves to be fired. It was a flukey result amongst several years of exceptional performance that should only improve by 2018.

zoogs    6,003

I am a huge Jurgen Klinsmann fan. I think he's the best thing for the USMNT and I'm stoked that he is here. Really wish we had gotten a better result out of this, but as they say, that's football. There's no doubt for me that he knows what it takes and has high standards.

I love that he clashes with US soccer over MLS -- sure, we do want to grow our home league, but they'll get respect when they stop being a retirement home for the best international players. If we want to take US soccer to the next level as badly and as wholeheartedly as Klinsmann has been pushing for, then it wouldn't hurt to have a core of competitors hardened in leagues of EPL quality, for example. Otherwise, what else do we expect? A couple of stars and some plucky play, which is fine to celebrate, but that's not what we're building towards (hopefully).

Red Five    3,008

So I'm going to be in Omaha on Saturday night. Thinking of heading to Barrett's Barleycorn (watch site for the American Outlaws Omaha chapter) for the US/Mexico game. Has anyone gone there for a game before? Is it going to be crazy packed since a) its a Saturday night b) the game is against Mexico c) the game means something?

HuskermanMike    290

Hopeful that Haji Wright will turn the corner soon. He also plays in the Bundesliga and him and Pulisic were an incredible duo for the US U-17.

Has Yedlin been developing well too?

Thanks for the info on the young guys. I need to look into this Haji Wright guy more. Already knew about Pulisic, he is going to be a good one for us down the road.

zoogs    6,003

Thanks for the info on the young guys. I need to look into this Haji Wright guy more. Already knew about Pulisic, he is going to be a good one for us down the road.

I think Yedlin had a very nice year in the Premier League: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/soccer-insider/wp/2017/06/07/deandre-yedlins-very-good-year-with-newcastle-united-could-also-spark-umsnt/?utm_term=.f95288f56fff

Some other young USMNT'ers making headlines:

John Brooks https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/soccer-insider/wp/2017/06/01/john-brooks-is-the-most-expensive-american-transfer-is-soccer-history-is-he-moving-into-a-trap/?utm_term=.7fd92ce9b089

Darlington Nagbe http://www.espnfc.com/team/united-states/660/blog/post/3140832/darlington-nagbe-and-others-arrival-of-help-for-christian-pulisic-a-good-sign-for-united-states

DrunkOffPunch    479

I think Yedlin had a very nice year in the Premier League: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/soccer-insider/wp/2017/06/07/deandre-yedlins-very-good-year-with-newcastle-united-could-also-spark-umsnt/?utm_term=.f95288f56fff

Some other young USMNT'ers making headlines:

John Brooks https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/soccer-insider/wp/2017/06/01/john-brooks-is-the-most-expensive-american-transfer-is-soccer-history-is-he-moving-into-a-trap/?utm_term=.7fd92ce9b089

Darlington Nagbe http://www.espnfc.com/team/united-states/660/blog/post/3140832/darlington-nagbe-and-others-arrival-of-help-for-christian-pulisic-a-good-sign-for-united-states

Really need guys like Brooks to step. Defense has been atrocious for US soccer for some years now.

Here's a list of some other up and coming players. It's from November but it should give you a good idea of who the future could be.

http://www.foxsports.com/soccer/gallery/the-20-best-usmnt-prospects-and-stars-are-the-future-110716

Currently sitting 3rd in the WCQ. Good news is we don't play Mexico anymore. Going to have to beat out either Costa Rica or Panama to stay in the top 3.

DrunkOffPunch    479

US beat El Salvador 2-0 in the quarterfinals of the Gold Cup and will play Costa Rica in the semis Saturday. Played really poorly overall with a mix of A/B/C guys. Although El Salvador played really dirty and should've seen a couple red cards.

Pulisic had 2 assists and was fouled for a penalty in a friendly for Dortmund against AC Milan.

Michiganball    164

Costa Rica can be a challenge in the state that were in. Would like to see that aggressive team from 3-4 years back before they were culled for no reason, loosing most the experienced players. and a smart D line that doesn't let through the easy ones.

wiuhusker    124

It's crazy how much of a difference Pulisic makes for this team. Been a fan of Omar Gonzalez this tourney. I think he sometimes gets over shadowed by how good Brooks is at center back.

A Gold Cup title would boost the confidence of the team for sure. Hopefully that happens and it gives us momentum moving forward in WC qualifying.

It'sNotAFakeID    1,839

It's crazy how much of a difference Pulisic makes for this team. Been a fan of Omar Gonzalez this tourney. I think he sometimes gets over shadowed by how good Brooks is at center back.

A Gold Cup title would boost the confidence of the team for sure. Hopefully that happens and it gives us momentum moving forward in WC qualifying.

Pulisic is the truth. Gonzalez baffles me at times, sometimes he'll be really good and look like he belongs on the pitch. Other times he looks like he just walked onto the pitch for the first time in his life.

HuskermanMike    290

Unbeaten so far under Bruce Arena. 13 match-unbeaten streak.

Should have beaten Mexico too and someone else we had a close tie against but I can't remember the country. Really impressed with the US soccer team right now. If we win the gold cup and only lose one more in WC qualifying I would say Arena might be here to stay.

It'sNotAFakeID    1,839

Unbeaten so far under Bruce Arena. 13 match-unbeaten streak.

Should have beaten Mexico too and someone else we had a close tie against but I can't remember the country. Really impressed with the US soccer team right now. If we win the gold cup and only lose one more in WC qualifying I would say Arena might be here to stay.

Yeah, we'll see how we fare when we come up against European team. A friend of mine thinks (and I tend to agree) that the style of play under the USMNT allowed us to be competitive with the European teams, but we struggled against our counterparts in CONCACAF and CONMEBOL, something that's needed for World Cup success but bad in World Cup qualifying.

I think Arena has inherited a side that is more talented than the previous national team he coached. Hopefully he can leverage that into a successful World Cup.

What I'd hate to see is the movement away from players who play in the European leagues (EPL, Bundesliga) towards a focus on just players who play in the MLS. Getting players to play in Europe was a big focus under Jurgen and I think is needed if the US game is going to grow. At the same time, we need to have a strong relationship with our domestic league, despite its lower-tier status.

DrunkOffPunch    479

We'll play Jamaica for the championship. Didn't get to see the second half of their game against Mexico but I'm happy to get them. From what I've seen from the 2 1/2 games they've played is...

-Best goalie in the tournament by far and has carried the team through the elimination rounds.

-Horrible back line play that should give us plenty of opportunities to get open shots.

-Pretty good shooting. I think overall Jamaica is a pretty similar team to our own. Could end up being a high scoring game or a low scoring one where both goalies have 8+ saves.

DrunkOffPunch    479

Jamaica's Andre Blake gets hurt early in the first half. Altidore scores a nice goal off a free kick in the 45' to score. 1-0 at half. Playing really well so far. Dominating possession and Jamaica hasn't tested Howard at all.

DrunkOffPunch    479

Jamaica opens up the second half with a goal on their first shot from a corner. We seemed pretty deflated for a bit after that until really turning up the pressure later in the half. Jordan Morris scores in the 88' for the game winner. 2-1 USA

HuskermanMike    290

USA still undefeated under Bruce Arena. The only thing is we haven't had to play any of the elite European or South American teams yet. I am intrigued to see how we do in qualifying and really excited to see what we can do in Russia 2018.

Michiganball    164

First we need to be consistent and beat the teams we are supposed to beat soundly. right now thats not really happening. Still it's better then what was happening right before Arena. Hoping we see more aggressive play in September daring the qualifiers.

default_28    94

It sucks that John Brooks will probably miss the rest of the hex. Omar looked ok at times in the Gold Cup but he's a right sided CB same as Cameron. They could both start, it'd just be a bit lop sided. Hedges looked real shaky at the Gold Cup. Can Ream or Besler be trusted? Any opinions as to the US's best option for the upcoming qualifiers?