Team USA Soccer

zoogs

Trailing 3-1 in the deep third of the game, Team USA mounts a crazy comeback and finishes 4-3 by full time.

Highlights

Would've loved to watch this game live, but I didn't even know it was happening. This is the kind of pulse-pounding excitement you've come to expect from Team USA. I don't know what kind of teams either side was fielding, but the Dutch are no joke.

Germany's next -- the defending champs -- and the CONCACAF Gold Cup will be this July.

The Dutch fielded a weaker side (they have a Euro qualifier on the 12 that they have to win, because they are currently third in their qualifying group) and the U.S. were missing several first teamers as well. Our defense was terrible the Netherlands defense was worse. It's hard to take anything away from this game except that we rallied which is a great sign, and that we have players with pace (Yedlin, Morris, Johnson) that can cause match up problems for the elite teams in the world. I almost shut it off after we gave up those two quick goals, but I'm glad I didn't. We really need to find some back up center backs though.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

3rd and final Group Stage game in the CONCACAF Gold Cup. USA have already punched their ticket but have looked anything but impressive so far.

Dempsey, Altidore among those starting on the bench today, given a rest. Wondolowski and Zardes, I think, are those starting in their place. Bedoya is also on the field; I think that's the first time this tournament. Not sure if it was for health reasons.

Three very different lineups in three games so far for the USMNT. A number of roster changes can happen after the group stage, too.

Btw, the last time this team played Panama, it was a meaningless game for the USA and Panama would have qualified for the 2014 World Cup (at the expense of Mexico) if they had won. They were up 2-1, but the US were gunning for it to the end and won late, 3-2. Once again this game has no real stakes for the US, but Panama need it to have any hope of going through.

Couple of really nervy moments in the early going. Panama have already almost scored twice. Once, in the net on a free kick but it was rightly called offside. A second time off a corner, where defender Morales' header clearance was more like a strong shot on goal that keeper Brad Guzan miraculously saved (along with the ensuing shot off the rebound). Morales has been playing sharp otherwise, I think.

Yikes!

At least we didn't lose.

The Bradley/Dempsey combo looks rounding into form. Nice!

John Brooks gets a second yellow and has to sit out the quarterfinals match. That's a bummer; we didn't even get a win out of it.

A max of 6 roster changes could happen by tomorrow night.

At least we didn't lose.

John Brooks gets a second yellow and has to sit out the quarterfinals match. That's a bummer; we didn't even get a win out of it.

Man, that game was getting rather chippy, to say the least. Surprised Brooks was the only Yellow card for the USA, considering...

This game didnt technically matter, but the failures we showed in this game and the previous 2 were not from a lack of effort.

The USA could have easily given up 3 goals and against teams who can actually finish when in the box, they will give up 3 goals.

The back 4 got torched multiple times. They are slow and they spend a lot of time watching the ball compared to marking their man.

I am a fan of Fabian Johnson and DeAndre Yedlin because of their speed, but Yedlin still plays a little wild and out of control. Ton of pressure on John Brooks when Fabian pushes up.

Timmy Chandler and Ventura Alvarado really struggled last night.

Brooks got his second yellow so he cant play in the next match.

I know Jozy wont be back for the quarterfinals, so interested to see if they keep Zardes up alongside Clint or if he goes back to mid field and they throw Johannson next to Dempsey.

ROUND OF 16 changes:

OUT: Jozy Altidore, Greg Garza, Alfredo Morales

In: Alan Gordon, DaMarcus Beasley, Joe Corona

Dont mind the 4-4-2 but it seems to bottle up Bradley a bit. Bedoya is so hit or miss. Had an awesome ball to Bradley to tie it up but also got burnt in the open field multiple times.

Wait and see who we get, but need to play much better.

• Fire 1

At least we didn't lose.

Man, that game was getting rather chippy, to say the least. Surprised Brooks was the only Yellow card for the USA, considering...

Alvarado and Chandler each got yellows as well.

Should have been another one on the late slide, cant remember who that was...

Officiating was equally bad.. let a lot of things go..

I thought the one on Bedoya as he entered the box should have been a foul and a free kick... It was close, but the official was just equally lax on both sides.