Team USA Soccer

zoogs

On the bright side, the investment in USA youth soccer should hopefully pay some dividends down the road. That's how the Germans did it, although their starting point was also a bit stronger in the early 2000, I'd say.

Yeah I agree I don't agree with all the fire Klinsmann posts that people keep using. I mean we have good young talent and he is doing a great job. We got complacent and lost a match and lost in penalty kicks and penalty kicks any team can beat any team almost. We have to be a little more patient and he has us on the right track but we shall see I believe he can help USA soccer win.

As I said earlier, all of this backlash against Klinsmann because the USA didn't win the Gold Cup is all a bunch of hot air. It is a disappointing result the product of a bad 5 minutes of play.

The USA gave no indication up to Jamaica's first goal that they were going to lose in the semifinals. They had been dominating possession and had opened up Jamaica on numerous occasions. Then Jamaica gets what I'm going to call a fluke goal, great header, but ultimately just a lucky, flukey goal. 1-0 Jamaica. Psychologically, losing the game when you had been dominating shocks the system. So the next 3-4 minutes of play are poor and Jamaica takes advantage with another set-piece goal. 2-0 Jamaica. We got to the half and came out on fire (good coaching and leadership) and we scored a goal. 2-1. But it's hard--I don't care the matchup--to score when there's 11 players inside that 18 yard box. So we couldn't get the equalizer and failed to make the finals for the first time in 4 Gold Cups.

Not having much to play for--Michael Bradley even said it himself--means you go out and play uninspired, which we did. Klinsmann was put in a difficult position that embattles the most talented coaches. 2015 was the first time since 2003 that the USA didn't make the Gold Cup Finals, and that was understandable because Brazil was in the tournament. This was the USA's first real taste of disappointment since losing to Ghana in the Round of 16 in the 2010 World Cup. We were favored to win the last Gold Cup, and we did. We weren't favored to get out of the Group of Death in last year's World Cup, and we did, before bowing out after giving it all in that final 15 minutes against Belgium. For a not so crazed football nation, we have done pretty well for ourselves the past 4 years.

I don't know how anyone can look towards Jürgen Klinsmann right now and say that he deserves to be fired. It was a flukey result amongst several years of exceptional performance that should only improve by 2018.

• Fire 2

I am a huge Jurgen Klinsmann fan. I think he's the best thing for the USMNT and I'm stoked that he is here. Really wish we had gotten a better result out of this, but as they say, that's football. There's no doubt for me that he knows what it takes and has high standards.

I love that he clashes with US soccer over MLS -- sure, we do want to grow our home league, but they'll get respect when they stop being a retirement home for the best international players. If we want to take US soccer to the next level as badly and as wholeheartedly as Klinsmann has been pushing for, then it wouldn't hurt to have a core of competitors hardened in leagues of EPL quality, for example. Otherwise, what else do we expect? A couple of stars and some plucky play, which is fine to celebrate, but that's not what we're building towards (hopefully).

• 2 months later...

So I'm going to be in Omaha on Saturday night. Thinking of heading to Barrett's Barleycorn (watch site for the American Outlaws Omaha chapter) for the US/Mexico game. Has anyone gone there for a game before? Is it going to be crazy packed since a) its a Saturday night b) the game is against Mexico c) the game means something?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hopeful that Haji Wright will turn the corner soon. He also plays in the Bundesliga and him and Pulisic were an incredible duo for the US U-17.

Has Yedlin been developing well too?

Thanks for the info on the young guys. I need to look into this Haji Wright guy more. Already knew about Pulisic, he is going to be a good one for us down the road.

• Fire 1

Thanks for the info on the young guys. I need to look into this Haji Wright guy more. Already knew about Pulisic, he is going to be a good one for us down the road.

I think Yedlin had a very nice year in the Premier League: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/soccer-insider/wp/2017/06/07/deandre-yedlins-very-good-year-with-newcastle-united-could-also-spark-umsnt/?utm_term=.f95288f56fff

Some other young USMNT'ers making headlines:

John Brooks https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/soccer-insider/wp/2017/06/01/john-brooks-is-the-most-expensive-american-transfer-is-soccer-history-is-he-moving-into-a-trap/?utm_term=.7fd92ce9b089

Darlington Nagbe http://www.espnfc.com/team/united-states/660/blog/post/3140832/darlington-nagbe-and-others-arrival-of-help-for-christian-pulisic-a-good-sign-for-united-states

I think Yedlin had a very nice year in the Premier League: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/soccer-insider/wp/2017/06/07/deandre-yedlins-very-good-year-with-newcastle-united-could-also-spark-umsnt/?utm_term=.f95288f56fff

Some other young USMNT'ers making headlines:

John Brooks https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/soccer-insider/wp/2017/06/01/john-brooks-is-the-most-expensive-american-transfer-is-soccer-history-is-he-moving-into-a-trap/?utm_term=.7fd92ce9b089

Darlington Nagbe http://www.espnfc.com/team/united-states/660/blog/post/3140832/darlington-nagbe-and-others-arrival-of-help-for-christian-pulisic-a-good-sign-for-united-states

Really need guys like Brooks to step. Defense has been atrocious for US soccer for some years now.

Here's a list of some other up and coming players. It's from November but it should give you a good idea of who the future could be.

http://www.foxsports.com/soccer/gallery/the-20-best-usmnt-prospects-and-stars-are-the-future-110716

Currently sitting 3rd in the WCQ. Good news is we don't play Mexico anymore. Going to have to beat out either Costa Rica or Panama to stay in the top 3.

• 1 month later...

US beat El Salvador 2-0 in the quarterfinals of the Gold Cup and will play Costa Rica in the semis Saturday. Played really poorly overall with a mix of A/B/C guys. Although El Salvador played really dirty and should've seen a couple red cards.

Pulisic had 2 assists and was fouled for a penalty in a friendly for Dortmund against AC Milan.

• Fire 2