Team USA Soccer

zoogs

Wow, it's stupidly easy -- unfairly so, almost (?) -- to qualify from CONCACAF. The US could lose tonight against Trinidad and Tobago and they'll still probably get in because it's quite unlikely both Honduras and Panama will win their last game, and the US still has an out by playing off against Australia.

Meanwhile Argentina is fighting for their lives in a crazy competitive region. 

As things go now this is could easily be a night in which both the US and Argentina cement their spot in the WC. Argentina by a heroic Messi hat trick after going down 1-0 early to Ecuador, to push his team through by a hair. The US by losing X-0 to Trinidad and Tobago, but watching Costa Rica and Mexico take care of business and ending up 3rd in CONCACAF.

Ugh. Yes. There needs to be an awakening here.The people who decided "let's get back to qualifying for the World Cup and CONCACAF has this tough style of play and BAD FIELDS" and all of that. They have to go.

And this has to be the end of the Bruce Arena era, starting tomorrow.

We need to get youth teams up to par and this pay to play bs put down.  When I played and made ODP for Nevada after the 3rd week it was literally 4k a month to continue on.  My family could not afford that so olympic development was pretty much over for me.  Good players and their families cant afford this so kids with talent tend to go elsewhere or never get the training to move forward in US soccer.  Landon Donovan, rich kid, played ODP, how many have we lost out on due to our soccer governing body not building up the youth squads to compete?  Gulati has been the head for over a decade and has not pushed forwards to get talent trained, we are screwed in soccer for a long time.

8 hours ago, HuskerInLostWages said:

We need to get youth teams up to par and this pay to play bs put down.  When I played and made ODP for Nevada after the 3rd week it was literally 4k a month to continue on.  My family could not afford that so olympic development was pretty much over for me.  Good players and their families cant afford this so kids with talent tend to go elsewhere or never get the training to move forward in US soccer.  Landon Donovan, rich kid, played ODP, how many have we lost out on due to our soccer governing body not building up the youth squads to compete?  Gulati has been the head for over a decade and has not pushed forwards to get talent trained, we are screwed in soccer for a long time.

Yep!

Select sports or whatever you want to call it has ruined soccer.  I have friends that are out of town every other weekend for 10 year old soccer games...by the time the kid hits 12 the parents are done with it and the kid is done with it.

This is happening in many sports.  As,I see it, too many games and not enough skill development and training.  The life span that kids do sports has not changed in the last 40 years.  The difference is that kids start much earlier, so now they quit much earlier.

my two daughters have never played club sports.  Played 3 sports in HS.  Now play one of those sports in college.  We did rec leagues, but never club.