Team USA Soccer

zoogs

54 minutes ago, zoogs said:

Anyone know who he's talking about with the prospects at Schaalke and Wolfsburg? I read about the Wolfsburg one at one point, but forgot the name.

John Brooks plays for Wolfsburg. Weston McKinnie plays for Schalke and signed a 5 year contract with them after making a start earlier in the year. Haji Wright is on contract with Shalke but is currently on loan to SV Sandhausen which is a 2nd tier Bundesliga team.

• Plus1 1

Ah! I guess it was Weston McKinnie and Schalke I was thinking of.

http://www.espnfc.com/club/schalke-04/133/blog/post/3090864/schalkes-weston-mckennie-dreaming-of-following-in-christian-pulisics-footsteps

"Playing soccer in Europe is like coming to America to play basketball," McKennie says, with his eyes lighting up as he talks about the chance to join Schalke. He soon realised the club had more to offer than just its stature.

MLS commissioner:

"That one hurt," MLS commissioner Don Garber told SI after losing the player to a European competitor. "We had a lot of forces that we were working against on signing that player. That's the reality of how difficult it is with a player pool at the youth level that continues to attract the attention of very, very aggressive and well-funded international teams."

Forces against which MLS is working: the interests of the USMNT.

• 3 weeks later...

Christian Pulisic had a filthy good game for BVB in a 3-1 loss to Bayern this weekend. He took the game right to Bayern, created a number of really good scoring chances in seemingly impossible circumstances, and nutmegged Arjen Robben to set up Dortmund's only goal. What an incredible start to his young career. If you guys aren't following it, you should be!

• 4 months later...

Friendly with Paraguay this weekend. The roster is exciting with the new, young faces. Only another 15 months until we play a meaningful game again!! The silver lining for that I guess is that the older players can be phased out without any risk. By the time the Gold cup and Copa America come around, the young guys on this roster could be the core of the team. Tyler Adams, Tim Weah, Shaq Moore, Weston McKinnie, and Antonee Robinson have me especially hopeful. Goalkeeper and Central Defense is still a question mark, and I'm interested to see who will be the number 9 going forward, but we have a ton of really talented midfielders right now.

Brooks getting back to 100% will help the central defense immensely. Hopefully Carter-Vickers can continue to improve as that position is rather thin. Although we don't have a clear cut favorite at GK I think we a rather deep pool of younger guys either starting or getting plenty of appearances. Striker worries me.

• 3 weeks later...

• 2 months later...

The US is in the midst of a trio of friendlies, the last of which will be played against France tomorrow at 2. We're going full future mode so while tomorrow's game probabl won't be close, It'll be nice to see what our future stars can do against a star studded line up preparing to make a World Cup run.

Here's highlights from the first two games.

Edited by DrunkOffPunch
  • Plus1 2
  • 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

Dortmund played Liverpool in a friendly on American soil this past week. Pulisic scored twice after being subbed in in the second half. Rumors Liverpool is interested in acquiring him. Dortmund has set his price at 81.5 million USD.

Would love to see him get even more reps at that level.

Still concerned about what we have outside of him but CP is clearly the key cog for Team USA for the next 2-3 world cups.